Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I see its possible to start bonsais from seedlings or cuttings- can you just go off and forage up your own bonsai candidates without paying big bucks for em? That way you can select from your own local habitat of things that can already survive your climate. I'd love to make a little white oak bonsai, but I have no idea on how to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Soop... priceless advice! I want more green around my place but I don't like a lot of plants and I love trees, do a bit of woodworking so I like local wood.

I have a harebrained scheme too.. when I was in fifth grade or so for arbor day we planted little tiny 4" or so tall tree in our yard that we got from school. We've since moved but that tree is pretty big now and I kind of want to see if its possible to do one of those air layerings from it.

Can you describe the process more? I doubt I can do it because I'd feel pretty odd asking the new homeowners if I can stick a bag over part of their tree. The advice is awesome though. Do you keep yours outdoors 24/7?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Awesome, thanks.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Okay, I want a beginner bonsai. I'm in Chicago, and I have never tried air layering although if I can find a local bonsai person to help, I'd love to see the process.

Looking over the beginner bonsais, it doesn't list oak or walnut which are two I'd love to do, so I'll skip em.

Requirements: my place has a porch, so I could keep a bonsai on the porch. Squirrels get on the porch looking for food, if that is a problem. Itd be really weird seeing a squirrel in a bonsai tree. Other than the porch, I'd have to keep it indoors. I keep it no hotter than 85 all day and my AC kicks on when I get home around 6, down to 80.

Chicago is pretty brutal.. cold winters, hot summers. I assume local trees work best as they're accustomed to it. I also DON'T HAVE GOOD LIGHT. My light is enough to grow the plants I do, but there isn't any great all day light, my apartment's at a weird angle.

Is it possible to grow Maple, Hawthorne or Cherry if I can find them? If anyone knows of midwest bonsai places to call/visit that'd be awesome too.