Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I know this is probably plant specific, but how crucial is "full sun"? I live in a condo complex where my "yard" is a balcony that is shaded half the day. The temps aren't extreme here either. Highs of about 80-85 in the summer and lows about 40-50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Picked up a couple plants this weekend. The first is a juniper that is already in a bonsai pot. I got this from a local art festival from a booth run by a local bonsai nursery. Let's see if I can keep this thing alive.

The second was a ficus that I intend to grow for bonsai. I currently have it in a gallon pot to grow but I have a question about the trunk. All of the ficus I saw had what looked like multiple trunks coming out. I picked the one that included the best looking, thickest trunk, but there's also three or four other smaller "trunks" coming out of the soil. If I just want a single trunk like I see lots of ficus have, am I supposed to prune the others off?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I found a local bonsai nursery and bought a trident maple pre-bonsai pictured below. I moved it to a larger pot to let it grow for a while, but after reading some other sites, I think I used the wrong soil. A lot of places say to use free-draining soil that is 40% organic. I used basic potting soil. It does drain freely when I water it, but do I need to repot it again with a more appropriate soil mix?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I bought three pree-bonsai plants about a month ago, a trident maple, dwarf chinese elm, and a japanese red maple. I placed them all in gallon pots to grow out for a while.

The trident maple has really sprouted a lot and seems to be thriving. The elm and the red maple, however seem to not be doing anything at all. They still look very healthy, but there are no new buds anywhere and no real growth. Is it just due to the time of year for those specific plants?

Also, will my trident maple lose it's leaves in a month or two despite being only about a foot tall?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I don't think I'm going be doing much work on them this season. The trunks need to thicken quite a bit. They are all basically twigs with leaves at this point.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Some of the leaves on my little trident maple seem to be turning brown/drying out. Is this from too much sun? It only gets around 4-5 hours of sun a day on my balcony.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Shouldn't my trident maple and japanese red maple be losing their leaves right about now? The leaves on the trident hasn't even changed colors yet.

They are very young (maybe a foot and a half tall each) and I'm growing them out a bit, but it's fall and I thought they'd lose their leaves despite being so young.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I posted a while back about how my trident maple hadn't lost its leaves despite being Fall, but it was still early in the season.

Well, now it's December and the leaves are still as bright green as ever and it shows no signs of acknowledging the season at all. Is this a sign of a problem? It seems incredibly healthy otherwise and is alomost 2 feet tall or so by now.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Mr. Soop posted:

That is rather odd... If it had died or anything though, the leaves would have long since turned brown and fallen off. But because the Bay area (saw this from your profile) is so temperate, it may simply lead to a longer growing season. My big Trident finally started turning red just over Thanksgiving.

What's funny about this is that my condo is literally surrounded by fully grown tridents all of which have lost their leaves.

It's like they're looking shamefully over me as I try to grow this seemingly retarded tree.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
So it's still february and my chinese elm, japanse and trident maples are already budding new leaves. We had a 3-4 day period of spring-like weather. Should I be fertilizing at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Mr. Soop posted:

So one of the difficulties in keeping a thread like this active during the fall and winter comes from the fact that there isn't much going on with our trees right now.

That being said, I don't live in a colder area where I get snow. But I'm sure some of you guys do. Any tips anybody might be willing to share on protecting them from frost, snow, and very low temperatures?

Speak for yourself. I have a trident maple and a Japansese maple that both lost their leaves sometime around August and have since resprouted this month. Weather around here has been typical fall/early winter too. My trees give no shits about what season it is.