Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I have what looks like a Baby Jade (?) in my rented apartment's front yard.

I'm super new to bonsai. Should I attempt to take a cutting or two and plant them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Thanks guys.

I will get into it after today. It's currently 41°C (106°F) here and going outside for more than five minutes is too much.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

EagerSleeper posted:

Random question, but do you live in the southern hemisphere? It's currently 1°C where I live, and it'd be nice to be somewhere where it's warmer. :)

Also that's a great specimen of a baby jade. It doesn't look like it's been ever pruned so it's grown wild, but I've never seen bigger than 4 inches. Yeah, everyone's already said it, but getting a cutting of those things to root is totally easy. Let the side heal and become dry to the touch, where you broke it off the main plant, and then stick it in some soil. After over a week or so, when you move the cutting gently, you should notice that it doesn't move so freely anymore, because it now has roots to anchor it in place. Then you can congratulate yourself and have a bonsai party. You can even take individual leaves from a jade plant and grow new plants that way. :3:

Sorry if I :spergin:, I love succulent plants and propagating, and am always happy to help if anyone wants.

Yeah. Sydney, Australia - it's summer at the moment. Yesterday was horrid but today it's a nice 20~°C, perfect for green thumbing it up.

Between looking at the Baby Jade closely and finding a hidden stash of perfectly-sized pots in my backyard, I'm keen to get started.

I'll take some cuttings today and let them dry for about one week. Should that be enough for the cut to dry?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

EagerSleeper posted:

Baby Jade stuff

This is great stuff, thank you.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I took a few cuttings:

What sort of soil should I be potting these in once the cuts heal up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

EagerSleeper posted:

Oh man, I didn't realize you'd be getting that big of branch to work with (but that's a good thing! More to work with), so maybe it might take a lil longer than my initial advice of a day to callous over. Those little branches towards the bottom of the second one could be used to grow separate plants if you want to give it away to a friend or someone. The type of soil to use when those branches finally heal is going to have be well-draining/well-aerated for sure.

That's great, thanks.