Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Really loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

jackpot posted:

I'm going to Ireland in a few weeks; if I wasn't afraid of customs seizing everything (before sending me to Guantanamo) I'd pack bagfulls of moss to bring home with me.

My mom brought some flower seeds & some cuttings from Alaska to Aruba (the second leg of the trip) and back to the states. Pretty sure they smuggled some poo poo from Europe too when we went there years ago. You could always snag a patch a couple square inches wide, keep it moist in a zip lock baggie or bottle or something, and check it with your luggage (hiding it in a spot where a small blemish on x-ray machines doesn't look too suspicious). I also brought LSD from the states to the Bahamas with no problems (taped strips of it to some shorts along the seams, as to blend in when X-Ray'd), but that's considerably smaller than a patch of moss.

If anything they just take it out of your bag and leave a note, it's not the worst law in the world to break.

Or you could always mail it back to yourself, pay the expense for overnight or 2-day air. Use USPS if possible (doubt it but you never know), not sure internationally but domestically they'd require a warrant to open your mail. FedEx and UPS are private entities so they don't need warrants.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
If you have proper lights & nutrients can you just keep your tree going indoors without any winter period where the leaves drop (or fruit/flowering if you don't want to)? Or is it necessary to go through the seasonal cycles?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm about to take advantage of my wife's last year in Ceramics and throw some bonsai pots, I'm sure if someone wanted to pay her she could throw some for you guys, maybe... depends on her class work load.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
If I see a cool tree can I just take some cuttings, dip it in rooting gel/cutting gel and tend to it?

I grew tons of Cannabis and had mother plants and took cuttings from them regularly, so I'm familiar with the process, as far as Cannabis goes... But I've not tried it on cool looking trees. Is there a database that has info regarding the ease of rooting cuttings on different species?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Mr. Soop posted:

I don't know if there's an online resource, but speaking from experience and knowledge gathered, Junipers, Jade, Ivy, Ficus, and Chinese Elms are the easier ones to root from cuttings, members of the Maple family are kind of middle-tier, and anything from the Pine or Fir family are just about impossible regardless of the health or size of the parent tree.

Awwww Bummer, 'cause I have these gnarly looking christmas trees that are straight out of middle-earth that I wanted to cut :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

platedlizard posted:

If you're talking about the cannabis one, I think it's starting to flower in that picture (I admit to knowing very little about pot). I've definitely seen pictures of bonsai cannabis flowering before.

If you're talking about the poison ivy I have no idea.

Yes that Cannabis is starting to flower. I used to grow a lot of it, and it's so fun to grow. In addition the rewards you can do a LOT to that plant and get away with it. Too bad it's an Annual though :( I used to make crazy shapes out of my plants just to experiment. Unfortunately after getting in trouble and giving it up I don't have the same passion about growing other things, I think I do... I get all excited and buy stuff, then I forget and let my plants die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I used to be into Bonsai, though never proper. I'd just buy cool looking ones and keep them alive as long as I could. I got back into my gardening love the other day when I was working on my yard, after I paid a guy to pull all the millions of weeds (which is a lot considering I live in a city with a smallish "yard"). But I'm going balls out because I need a hobby like this.

I had grabbed a cheap Ikea Ficus Ginseng bonsai for my office a while back, mostly just to have something alive in my office, before I re-found my love for gardening last weekend:

(crazy colored light is an LED grow light, I used to sell them and use them for a certain magical plant until I got busted, and then lost my love for gardening).

It's actually two of them, and one appears to be dead. So I'm going to re-pot it and remove the dead one tomorrow. I also ordered 3 pre-bonsai trees. Parrots beak/Gmelina philippensis, a Dwarf African Strangler Fig, and a Brazilian Rain Tree - Chloroleucon tortum. I'm pretty stoked to get those in and start working with them.