Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit late but I liked Item No. 002 San Jose Juniper and Item No. 071 Chinese Elm Grove. Did you get anything?

I do have a question. I was recently given some crab apple bonsai seeds. Research suggests that I should sow them in autumn, is that correct? Apparently sixty days before I should put them in the fridge which is no problem. I'm looking forward to see if I can grow some trees.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuzzy_logic posted:

The amur maple is mine! Gaze upon my thicc boy:

I could've had the cascade crabapple for 400, but a number of trees from that donor, including the other crab, were found to be dead or dying, and were auctioned for "pot price" only and I didn't want to take the risk. I'm very happy with this guy :) Should I note what some of the others went for or would it break Crocoduck's heart?

That's very nice and yes, break Crocoduck's heart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm only really starting out with bonsai but I've been given a young Satsuki Azalea that I'm pretty excited about. Its started to flower and I have a couple of other older trees that I'm looking forward to working with. Later in the year I have some crab apple seeds that I will be planting so I hope there will be some success from those.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I don't know if anyone who posts in here is from the U.K. but does anyone know of a decent place to buy pots? I'm pretty sure I have a tree that needs a new pot.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuzzy_logic posted:

Not sure how close you are to them but this place ships throughout the UK: https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/

TYVM I'll have a look at it.

Crocoduck posted:

Some spring pictures...

That's such a lovely looking tree.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Had no more attacks on your bonsais?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

Luckily nothing severe, the Turks nipped at a Small jade I have. But that's all

I'm hoping the ad hoc greenhouse will do the job until I move addresses soon

That's good. Your figs looking cool, do you give it any plant food?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I do have some liquid fertilizer and should start doing that. I thought one of my trees had died but recently two new leaves grew on it and it has had one flower recently so I'm hoping that it's going to come back strong.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

That's great to hear man, always good when something comes out of dormancy.

I assume you are coming into spring so that's exciting for you

Yeah, I'm in the UK and the weather is starting to turn warm (well warm for here) and between the veg and the flowers I've been neglecting the bonsais a bit so I'm hoping they forgive me if I start giving them more attention.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^Very nice^^

I'm hoping this thread can help me. A woman who I know through a friend had a husband who was a gardener, unfortunately he passed away over a year ago and she has taken a while to sort everything out. She gave me two bonsai trees and I'm not sure what they're called, so here are some photos that I hope can help you identify them as well as any advice for their care.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuzzy_logic posted:

On my phone but I'm going to guess the top ones an azalea, bottom is ... apple? Crabapple?

Thanks for your answers. I'm not sure the leaves are right for an azalea and I'll see if the apples come through for the possible crab apple.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pooper Trooper posted:

Ok guys, since you all suggested my japanese maple needs to go out more, I took him to the beach

Cool looking tree

Hubis posted:

I've seen bonsai of all kinds of Rhododendron (which includes azaleas, but also the larger leafed varieties). It does look kind of like one of the larger Rhodos.

Then I think you and fuzzy_logic I thank you as well :)

If you look at the picture of it again you can see some of the branches on the right look dead, am I OK to take them off at any time?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 2, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Saw this today and thought of you guys.

Going to regret missing leg day when I have to carry that to the car.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Someone has suggested to me that this could be an olive tree and directed me to this site and maybe he's right. has anyone grown an Olive bonsai?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Slugworth posted:

When you first posted your trees, I felt like I was taking crazy pills, because your mystery tree looked exactly to me like the olive tree in the post directly above yours, which you even replied to :)

So, basically, fuzzy logic is growing an olive bonsai, and I agree that yours looks to be one, although I know literally nothing about bonsai trees and just lurk this thread.

Oh it does look exactly the same. Man, what a way to find out you're a moron, in the bonsai thread on the SA forum :blush: Thankfully there are people like you around to do care in the community :glomp:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very nice.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking good, I like the look of the ash.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

The ash continues

That is looking very nice indeed.

Has anyone ever grown banana bonsais? My mum bought me a packet of 100 seeds from some place in China so it should be interesting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Spruce got tuned up. Been working on this one a while.

Nother spruce got tuned up. Worked with my teacher extensively on both of these. He says my wiring's getting better which is cool. My ability to construct pads has also grown - I can set them up pretty quickly to his liking. My structural wiring and design choices still lag though. I need practice.

Started some part time work wiring at a local bonsai garden, so that should be a good source of it.

How old are those trees, do you know?

Looking good Jestery.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

Thanks man, it's dumb but it keeps me happy :downs:

And it does look good. My trees look a mess at the moment the weather has been terrible. I like the ornamental stones you have in your pot on the left of the picture.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

For what it's worth this is the jade, and his growth since April

April

Now

It looks nice.

Crocoduck posted:

bessantj posted:

How old are those trees, do you know?

Probably 80-100. Old yamadori spruce.

Must have such history around it.

I have just planted seven crab apple seeds so hoping something comes from them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very nice, I really like the trunk.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Whose up for some awful pics of my crab apple's apples? Well tough (the first one is worse than I thought :blush:)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Before/after on my friend's juniper. He owns a bonsai shop and is giving me store credit to work on his trees. It's a great chance for me to practice. My teacher wired this tree up previously, but the detail wire had been removed. It was interesting to go through and arrange the pads - I could see what my teacher intended with each 'module' of the tree (or at least I think I could - he'll probably yell at me). For the first time I was working with him without his direct supervision, and so it forced me to arrange the apex myself, but with a bit of guidance. I feel like I learned a lot on this tree. I think it came out OK.

That looks nice. How long have you been doing the cutting and shaping? I am going to have a go with my crab apple once the weather gets a bit better, just hope I don't kill it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Your crabapple looks great - I've no experience with fruiting trees. This was probably eight hours of work - my buddy is willing to let me come over and just wire trees for him all day. It helps us both out.

That's good of him, I've been given a book called "Practical Bonsai Projects" I'm hoping there will be some help in there.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

What are you looking to achieve with the tree? Thickening the trunk, increasing ramification, setting branch structure?

I think setting branch structure. There's one newish branch that just sticks out above all the others that I think I should get rid of.

EDIT: I also have an azalea that I think is a satsuki azalea that is very young and just looks like a bit of a twig, so I'm hoping that grows well over the next few years. I'm not sure if I should just leave it for the moment and look to shape it later when it has grown.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 10, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looks lovely. Nice colour.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

Double post because my garden is looking good

Nice set up, I like the shelves at the back. I have a greenhouse like that may well repurpose it for the same.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That looks interesting what does that set up do over a more traditional set up?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

I say this with no authority

But I'm sort of considering how this sort of thing might happen irl, roots find ground and nutrition, wind blows soil on an off roots above somewhat.

I feel like the alfoil had been on there long enough, and the area it is in is quite moist and humid and cool so fingers crossed

Cool, wishing you good luck with it all.

I think I've failed with my seeds. They've been in soil 26 days now and no germination to be seen.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Platystemon posted:

These were the banana seeds?

Don’t blame yourself. Bananas are the pandas of the plant kingdom.

Oh sorry, no. They were crab apple seeds. But I'm not sure where my mum got them from, the web address on the leaflet that came with them leads to a now dead website.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like it needs a drink!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aule posted:

See you would think so but it’s had a good drink already, temperamental plant. Or I’m just terrible at keeping Bonsais 👀

Maybe it is trying to teach you a lesson for the neglect. I've given up with my crab apple seeds they aren't going to germinate. I'm going to get some more and try again maybe next year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That looks pretty good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^ Those both look really great. I like the snow you have on yours Hubis. That tree is looking strong Jestery.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

You've gone into it much more than I have. I'm a beginner myself and have been unemployed for a while meaning the trees I have are all I was going to have so I've been worried about them dying but with employment on the horizon I feel more emboldened to try new things. I do have Peter Chan's Bonsai Bible and have thought about visiting his centre. I have an Azalea and it's a very young couple of twigs at the moment so I'm hoping I can use it to practice on.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It looks very nice both with and without leaves.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^ That's looking good. I'm not sure I'm ready for air layering. Jestery your tree really looks good, quite unique.

Which company is generally considered to make good quality bonsai tools?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

I've used kaneshin, kiku, masakuni, Josh Roth, American bonsai tools, and they've all struck me as good quality products. I'm not sure I could pass the pepsi challenge on any of them honestly. Tian makes good entry level tools that won't break the bank. Uhh yeah. I dunno man. See what you can get for cheap.

Thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Not gonna lie, Masakuni are kinda pure sex now that I think about it...

Holy moly at those prices they'd better be!