Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I bought this little bonsai three years ago:

This is it a little bit later:

I bought a little red maple bonsai kit when I was in Disney Epcot in the Japan area and this is it after about 3 weeks:

To start off it had a plastic bag over it that I guess was to create a terrarium environment and keep it moist, but I took that off about a week ago, and it seems to have really taken off since.

There is one little leaf that is curled up and black and looks like it is dying:

And finally here is the new little red maple kit next to that bonsai I bought three years ago:

The instructions that came with the red maple kit it said after eight weeks to gently pull up on the plants and I can transplant them to their own pots.
I've been misting the soil daily, should I keep doing this?

Also, the old bonsai I had I accidentally sorta let it dry out and it lost all its leaves, but it's really come back since then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and separated the maple into their own containers and they're still doing fine. The thing is, I didn't put them into a pot because I felt like all the pots I was looking at seemed way too big, so I settled for some little cups I bought and just drilled holes in the bottom and put some rocks in to drain.
I'm still misting the soil, but I'm putting a lot of water into it to make sure everything is getting enough.

This is the only picture I have on my phone right now of the new set up.

I've moved them over to a window that gets more sunlight, but I don't want to put them outside because I have dogs that would probably go sit on them and kill them. Although I have taken them outside some when the dogs are inside for a while just to get fresh air and all that.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
So I finally took some pics of my red maple bonsai set up. They're all really taking off since I separated them and put them in individual cups.
I drilled holes in the bottom and put some rocks in the bottom so water can drain.
I've been leaving them outside in the morning where they are in the shade, but when I leave for work I pull them back inside.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I have a question about my little red maple seedlings I have growing. They're at about 3 months now and growing, but should I be doing anything to them besides watering? They're sprouting a lot of new leaves, should I clip some off or just let it keep growing and doing their thing? Some of them are getting pretty tall.