Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
Hello! This is my beloved little tree Greg. It is a hawaiian umbrella and I bought it from one of those big bonsai stands at a festival, but the guy told me it was a juniper when I first bought it. Turned out it was not a juniper.

I've had it for about a year now and things were rough at first. The guy who sold it to me told me to water it twice a week but it seemed like it was dying pretty quickly. Someone with a greener thumb than I babysat him for a while and pruned all the dead leaves off of him so it came back to me quite naked.

Well about 6 or 7 months ago I rushed him to a nursery for advice. I ended up repotting him and watering it better, along with misting it regularly. I also add Bonsai Master Grow 7-8-6 (http://www.amazon.com/Eves-Fertilizer-specially-designed-Garden/dp/B005VRKL2O) into the water that I use and mist with.

It's pretty humid here so I keep it outside in the sun during the day, but have been taking it in at night lately. Recently a storm tore off the bottom part of two of the aerial roots but I covered them with more dirt, gave regular waterings, kept them moist, and those roots have started growing again! So I am very happy and proud. It is very green and looking a lot better than it used to.

It looks like I'm not going to kill it after all, so I'm interested in maybe doing something more with it. It is just in regular soil now, should I replace the dirt with something fancier? I haven't done any shaping or pruning or anything like that, and don't really know how or where to go with it. Are there any suggestions on what you think my tree should look like, and how I should do it? Thanks!

Edit: Also I used to have moss growing on my tree but it turned brown and died. Is there replacement moss I can purchase that would look nice?

Tamgerine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
Great! Thank you so much! Is there any specific style of cut that I should use? Is a straight cut fine? I saw the cut diagram posted earlier, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other in this situation.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!

Crocoduck posted:

Nice choice! Ficus are pretty much immune to pruning, but they can be vulnerable to pests and are difficult to wire. Still, great little trees and perfect for learning, also they got that cool rainforest vibe. Your ficus might drop its leaves due to stress, but don't worry, they'll grow back. Humidity trays don't do that much in my experience- what really help them out is a nice terrarium and a humidifier. In that environment you'll also get significant aerial root formation, which can look badass and be used to address flaws in the branch or trunk(s).

Supplemental lighting is also really a great thing to have with indoor ficus. It will speed up growing time, help keep your leaves small and basically make you have a lot more fun with your bonsai. Here is the difference in leaf size between a bonsai I was growing indoors that I moved outdoors - may not be as extreme as the results you can get with a fluorescent light bulb, but still, you can see how bright light makes things easier.

Finally, nah the green fuzz on the trunk is probably just moss or a lichen and won't harm your tree. You can remove it with a wirebrush or just leave it on.
http://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusForum.html

This guy knows ficus bonsai and is really awesome.

Would you please explain to me more about the terrarium and humidifier? Do you just...turn it upside down on top of it and put the humidifier in? It doesn't prevent the tree from getting enough oxygen, or do you only do it on and off?

I'm going to be moving into a barracks room soon and won't be able to keep my tree outdoors as much as I'd like. I purchased an indoor growing light for it, but do you think I should get a terrarium and a humidifier as well? I have a dwarf schefflera.