Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Playing the RT game has got one of the perennial GMs in our gaming group to decide he wants to run a campaign again, so we've done a session zero and now he's writing a whole sector for us to explore. Pretty pumped. RT was my first exposure to 40k roleplaying and the game ran by this very DM was what made a lot of us friends in the first place. But they should update the system.

The 40k game I've played the most though is Black Crusade, and frankly that's still the best of all of them just in terms of how off the rails it can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Has anyone tried out the genesys fan conversions? How'd it go, if you did?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't know if this is the right place, but enjoy some crochet

https://imgur.com/gallery/Dv5zC7s

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That's surely AI generated? It looks like it's just the shape of the thing with a crochet texture applied on top.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 13, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, that's AI unless I see WIP.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

moths posted:

Jesus Christ I thought that Olly Piers and Olly Persson were the same character at different times because of warp bullshit.

I think it’s deliberately unclear to the reader when he first shows up but Olly is very different in terms of attitude and personality in order to dispel that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seriously.

I noticed he was acting like a totally different character but just assumed it was a disconnect between authors. Or maybe a perpetual side effect, like how Doctor Who works.

It doesn't help that they're both ancient soldier archetypes, and Piers's Mythras blended right into Persson's ancient world talk.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

New episode is up (HD is processing still) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rU-iApvGqo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a question for DMing Rogue Trader:

I've noticed that the players' ship is reliably faster than NPC ships. Part of this is down to rewards the players have earned, but most of it is down to the way the Flank Speed action works, and the fact that any decent techpriest will soon have tech-use pushed into the 70s where he pretty much can't fail and is likely to push the ship's speed by a good 30%.

It's an adventure fiction staple that the heroes' ship is fast and well-handled, so it's not really a problem that they are faster than their class suggests. The problem is that not all of their opponents should be slow by comparison. It's hard to have an interesting stern chase if you know your frigate is likely to catch and defeat every raider you see, and is almost certain to outrun any cruiser.

The thing is, ships need to have command crews to use actions like Flank Speed, and I don't want to bother creating command crews for every NPC ship and determining whether they're going to be good at going fast or not. Any suggestions for how to vary the NPC ship handling, so that my heroes aren't guaranteed to run down any opponent they want?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Arglebargle III posted:

I've noticed that the players' ship is reliably faster than NPC ships. Part of this is down to rewards the players have earned, but most of it is down to the way the Flank Speed action works, and the fact that any decent techpriest will soon have tech-use pushed into the 70s where he pretty much can't fail and is likely to push the ship's speed by a good 30%.

It's an adventure fiction staple that the heroes' ship is fast and well-handled, so it's not really a problem that they are faster than their class suggests. The problem is that not all of their opponents should be slow by comparison. It's hard to have an interesting stern chase if you know your frigate is likely to catch and defeat every raider you see, and is almost certain to outrun any cruiser.

The thing is, ships need to have command crews to use actions like Flank Speed, and I don't want to bother creating command crews for every NPC ship and determining whether they're going to be good at going fast or not. Any suggestions for how to vary the NPC ship handling, so that my heroes aren't guaranteed to run down any opponent they want?

One of the enemy ships has a flicker Warp Drive that lets them make brief jumps across the battlefield. Maybe it has to spend a turn charging up, though, so the players get a warning.

One of the ship's engines is powered by the consumption of souls, and the ship can be pushed to "flanking speed" by a massive, gruesome sacrifice with only a small chance of summoning demons from the Warp afterward.

The Ork ship is painted red. That's it.

Another Ork ship is just a big rock with rockets strapped to it. It can charge forward at double speed but only in a straight line, then has to spend a turn reorienting. It can't move less than double speed either with the maneuver.

The Mechanicus ship has an experimental "Acceleration Drive" that starts out relatively slow but increases in speed for every turn the ship spends moving until it's clearly faster than the PCs' ship. Good for chases, but not very helpful in maneuvering battles.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arglebargle III posted:

That raider has an archaeotech plasma drive, that one upgrade that lets you juice speed until you gently caress up, and a crew with a rating of 55. Their enginseer has a Good MIU so that 55 is actually a 65 because he’s plugged in; occasionally their navigator will use that action that will give the helmsman +10 x DoS to his next maneuver action; the captain will sometimes dedicate his turn to Assist for +10. Maybe the crew has, collectively, 1-5 fate points that can be spent but not burned. You don’t need actual crews, just use the crew rating you pick and keep a small chart of bonuses that could reasonably apply to those rolls based on how hard you want the fight to be.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 17, 2024

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't even bother explaining how Eldar ships are faster than them. They just appear wherever they want to, and if it looks like they left the Eldar in the dust that was actually a hologram.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'll have to admit it's been ages since I thought about RT mechanics so maybe there's an obvious reason this wouldn't work, but can't you just give the ship the same set of standard abilities the players have at whatever skill level is appropriate to stand in for the command crew? Don't need to create full characters for them.

Because clearly there is a command crew on every ship, we just don't want to spend hours creating character sheets for them. So abstract it a bit.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I thought one of the RT expansions added a table of NPC versions of those actions? No rolls, just a flat bonus, and some guidelines for how many of the actions you should let an NPC ship take each turn.

Possssibly with the GM screen maybe? Or in Battlefleet Koronus?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You’d also want them to get a win or two from fast bote, of course, but it sounds like that’s already happened.

Have another RT challenge them to a Davy Back Fight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah it's here in Battlefleet Koronus, thanks.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

moths posted:

I noticed he was acting like a totally different character but just assumed it was a disconnect between authors.

Saturnine where Olly appeared (and died) and Know No Fear, where we first met Ollanius, were both written by the same author, Dan Abnett.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dark Eldar antagonist had a clone field, needed to roll under a 72 to dodge the Explorator's heat-seeking missile. Rolled an 80. Incubus tried to step in front of the missile. Whiffed another agility roll. No more Dark Eldar antagonist.

The big setpiece of the breaching scene was a mounted Darklight Blaster position turning even the most heavily-armored boarding team into goo. The protagonists bravely assaulted it. It whiffed every shot and then died.

I was genuinely concerned one of the PCs was going to end up with a blaster beam to the chest and burn a fate point but apparently my NPCs just can't roll dice.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 19, 2024

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Dark Eldar antagonist had a clone field, needed to roll under a 72 to dodge the Explorator's heat-seeking missile. Rolled an 80. Incubus tried to step in front of the missile. Whiffed another agility roll. No more Dark Eldar antagonist.

The big setpiece of the breaching scene was a mounted Darklight Blaster position turning even the most heavily-armored boarding team into goo. The protagonists bravely assaulted it. It whiffed every shot and then died.

I was genuinely concerned one of the PCs was going to end up with a blaster beam to the chest and burn a fate point but apparently my NPCs just can't roll dice.

Grats. RT can feel like rocket tag at times, so I'd rather the PCs pull out an easier win than expected than eat poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean they’re being brought back by a haemonculus, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Dark eldar of sufficient means usually have a toe in the clone bank, yeah. You can't get rid of them until you mess up their operation enough to bankrupt them, at which point they can no longer afford resurrection.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Dark eldar of sufficient means usually have a toe in the clone bank, yeah. You can't get rid of them until you mess up their operation enough to bankrupt them, at which point they can no longer afford resurrection.

Unless someone decides they’re amusing enough to pay the haemonculus bill themselves to get a new slave/court jester/victim.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't want any of my players to read this by accident so no, these particular Children of Thorns Drukhari are up poo poo creek without a paddle. They're a small ship without webway access and the whole reason they're out here in the first place is a dispute with their haemonculi. If the Drakon does get brought back it won't be for a while.

They were sent to capture a haemonculus who fled through the webway in ways the Children of Thorns can't follow, so they had to hike it through realspace to catch him. Fortunately for them the target was the space hulk near Dolorium, a location the Drukhari frequent in realspace.

Unfortunately for them a rogue trader frigate was also cruising in that direction more or less on a whim when they realized their course took them past Dolorium. Doubly unfortunate for them, the humans mistook the empty hole in space hovering above an entrance to the space hulk for a nice safe radiation-free place to set down, and when the pesky Mon-Keigh accidentally triggered an electric storm it knocked out the raider's shadow field. After a brief skirmish the raider was hidden again.

The Drakon should have retreated at that point, but he didn't want to go home empty-handed and so hoped to lurk about until the humans went away or he could send down a boarding party. Instead of going about their business, the humans decided to hunt the raider. A surprisingly resourceful tech-priest went on a quest and wired together a sensor net incorporating sensors on the downed ships in the space hulk, and the frigate was able to hunt the Drukhari down. This was such a surprising development that before they could get out of range the frigate had crippled them and boarded, and now it's every elf for himself.

Their only hope was to hold the launch bay long enough to load everyone up and all make a break past the frigate's turrets, get down to the space hulk, and try to find the haemonculus coven and the webway gate. They set booby traps in the bridge and slave pens and splinter cannons in the main gangway, but instead of holding the launch bay door and getting a kabal in fighting strength off the ship to quest for the webway gate, the Drakon got exploded.

The players don't know a lot of the details of why the Drukhari ship was present, but they are about to find out. There's a reaver gang on board that knows the RT's dynasty is doing business with Kabal of the Crimson Woe, and think they'll be able to switch sides if they surrender. They are trying to surrender to the players, but the thing is the players aren't aware that their dynasty in bed with the Crimson Woe at all. The RT's aunt has commissioned them through a Serrated Querry intermediary to trade slaves for transport services. The dynasty's recent surprising successes in colonizing the expanse are all thanks to Drukhari support... and the players are about to discover this in a very sequence-breaking manner because they decided to dick around at Dolorium rather than continue on the endeavor they were supposed to do.

I was going to reveal all this when the Children of Thorns kidnap the players' Seneschal, whom they left on Footfall to set up an entrepot. Now when they get back to Footfall I'll probably spring the same plot but they will likely already have a good idea of why the dark eldar factions in the expanse are squabbling over their servants.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 19, 2024

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

My highly biased unboxing of the Wrath and Glory starter set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ww_hNruJJE

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Can anyone help me work out what Trade (Technomat) in Rogue Trader is actually for? I can't work out when you would ever use it over Tech-Use.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

lines posted:

Can anyone help me work out what Trade (Technomat) in Rogue Trader is actually for? I can't work out when you would ever use it over Tech-Use.

The only situation I can think of would be something like finding your way around a factory or knowing what a worker's life on an assembly line is like.

As far as practical applications go, tech-use is far broader than a trade skill.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Tech-Use explictly says that making new devices etc. is "for the relevant Trade skill", but... other than Armorer, which is explictly for weapons, I can't see what Trade skill of the ones listed that would be.

Edit: also, "Trade" is explictly the skill for creating things - it says it right in the rulebook. I would expect knowledge of a worker's life to be more of a lore skill, Common Lore Adeptus Mechanicus or something. Technomat, whatever it is meant to do, has to be something that can make you money

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
IIRC it’s described somewhere as “construction and maintenance by rote memorisation”. So a technomat can build a lasgun or repair a bulkhead, but not direct a ship’s cogitator or overcharge a plasma reactor.

It’s not a great skill as anyone who would have Technomat but not Tech-Use is an NPC.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

IIRC it’s described somewhere as “construction and maintenance by rote memorisation”. So a technomat can build a lasgun or repair a bulkhead, but not direct a ship’s cogitator or overcharge a plasma reactor.

It’s not a great skill as anyone who would have Technomat but not Tech-Use is an NPC.

"Used to maintain and repair technological devices, but through rote memorisation rather than true understanding."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lines posted:

Rogue Trader's skill categories are a total mess.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

lines posted:

"Used to maintain and repair technological devices, but through rote memorisation rather than true understanding."

Technomat is "I work on an iphone assembly line."

As the game line progressed, almost everything was compressed into Tech-Use because there's just no reason to have all of that spread over so many skills and trades when you're going to ask players to buy it with the same xp they need to buy combat skills and awareness.

Trades are flavorful but are a little too expensive for what you get out of them. You should treat them as write-ins that can occasionally be used.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Almost.

Technomat is less like "I work on an iPhone assembly line" and more like Tier 1 helpdesk IT. It's repetitive in the sense that the known rituals of libation and sacrifice dwindle as time goes on. Easy checks apply the skill to make an advance upon the machine spirit of a device whose mysteries are well understood. Challenging checks require the petitioner to intuit how to string like rituals together for technology where either they don't know the specific ritual (perhaps the equipment is quite rare) or the equipment is not mechanics compliant (cobbled together, ancient, or not even imperial). The skill advances with rote memorization, exposure, and practice, but it plied with intelligence/intuition.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's also lay Technomat vs ordained Technomat. Best to just mash up some technology names with church terms because you're too busy blessing the coffee machine.

"Omnissiah pray infuse this humble beverage with Your motive force. Let its chymical properties bless Your servants' adenosine receptors with the resilience of steel. Deliver us from the weakness of flesh that we may better serve Your design this work cycle. O machine spirit, as we anoint thee with holy oil so anoint our mugs with holy recaf. In the Omnissiah's name we pray. You may now touch the Rune of Percolation."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
*gothic organ remix of The Perculator kicks in*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like it's good to occasionally mix in a random snippet of extremely ancient lore gleaned from a user manual or box insert for the technology that has worked its way into the liturgical text. Like "no warranty express or implied" or "do not immerse"

lines
Aug 18, 2013

My character who has this is a Genetor so I'm not sure what the Biologis equivalent is.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

lines posted:

My character who has this is a Genetor so I'm not sure what the Biologis equivalent is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBb_tPPA8E

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how much profit factor would you say looting a mostly-intact Drukhari raider should be worth? It's quite a bit of spiky xenotech and no pesky costs associated with refurbishing the hulk.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arglebargle III posted:

So how much profit factor would you say looting a mostly-intact Drukhari raider should be worth? It's quite a bit of spiky xenotech and no pesky costs associated with refurbishing the hulk.

Does it have any surviving crew, and does your party know a Stryxis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

lines posted:

Just make sure every prayer finishes with "End Dictation"