Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
A bunch of explorator traits let you use your Mechanicus implants to do various things. One example off the top of my head is you can repair a burned-out forcefield in like a minute instead of an hour with luminen charge, drawing on your potentia coil, instead of having to dick with it by hand. Hallucinogen grenade made your enemies drop their guns for a round? Ferric lure that poo poo.

Also, the only difference between an orthodox cogboy and a heretek is time and the right piece of tech; you can surely find someone willing to replace more of your frail meat with the sacred machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

spectralent posted:

If you're a heretek, what's the point of having mechanicus implants? It feels like all they do is let you buy augmetics that only the mechanicus would sell, so it only really seems to let you play the con that you're a tech priest, trust me bro.
Some stuff like Mechadendrites and arms and whatnot require the implants, so not just anybody can get a Servo-arm.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

spectralent posted:

If you're a heretek, what's the point of having mechanicus implants? It feels like all they do is let you buy augmetics that only the mechanicus would sell, so it only really seems to let you play the con that you're a tech priest, trust me bro.

Many hereteks are still accepted members of the AM. Their defining characteristic is that they stray from mechanicum doctrine, not that they necessarily scream chaotic prayers or sport mutations or anything like that. Many work their heresy in secret, and act like normal AM members rest of the time.

E: gently caress, beaten like a stuck fortitous actuator

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 20, 2023

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Elukka posted:

I can't say that sounds like a problem to me. Grinding down hp for multiuple rounds is one of my least favorite things in an RPG. It ought to be resolved quickly, and quickly still usually means hours in most any combat system.

I feel like Space Marine combat, of all things, should not be rocket tag, but more like Merchwarrior, with systems getting degraded, etc.

Of course, the new game tries to model everything, including Space Marines, so that's very unlikely.

I guess rocket tag isn't great when you don't have that many mechanical levers to not get hit/make the enemy not shoot you.

If everyone's entirely too accurate and initiative decides arbitrarily who goes first (and thus hits), it's not fun.

If non-damaging hits mean nothing, not even morale checks, that's not fun.

And conversely, if the HP grindown causes no adverse effects on the enemy outside of just grinding down HP, that's also not fun.

Conclusion: games were a mistake.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The real power that hereteks have is the ability to get Mechanicus Assimilation on the cheap.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

JcDent posted:

I feel like Space Marine combat, of all things, should not be rocket tag, but more like Merchwarrior, with systems getting degraded, etc.

Of course, the new game tries to model everything, including Space Marines, so that's very unlikely.

Are you thinking of Wrath and Glory? The beefiest enemy in the IM bestiary is a Sister of Battle with 10 armor, and it doesn't even list Adeptus Astartes as one of the factions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rules are for cowardly GMs

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Clanpot Shake posted:

Are you thinking of Wrath and Glory? The beefiest enemy in the IM bestiary is a Sister of Battle with 10 armor, and it doesn't even list Adeptus Astartes as one of the factions.

I only remember the old WnG, and it had Marines as PCs at tier... 3? 4? I assumed it would have had Marine enemies as well, I guess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone have a good way of generating tactical maps and star system for RT? My campaign is about to leave the starter rails and while I have lots of adventures and endeavors and unknown star systems hidden on the map via roll20 I don't have tactical map assets appropriate for the wide variety of settings the players could go to in RT.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So my brother spotted me playing the new RT game and asked a question I don't have an answer for:

Are there any readable 40k novels about Rogue Traders? I've only ever really read Eisenhorn, Gaunts, Titanicus, and a smattering of Space Marine stuff, I don't recall any recommendations for exploring strange new worlds

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The second Shia Calpurnia novel features a... controversy surrounding a Warrant of Trade supposedly signed by the Big E himself.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
The only one that I can think of offhand that's close is Legacy, the second book in the Shira Calpurnia trilogy by Matthew Farrer. The plot is about a deceased rogue trader's charter being passed on to his heir, but those books are about an Adeptus Arbites.

e. beaten.

A little googling brought up three others, which I'd never heard of and can't say anything to the quality of:

Rogue Star and Star of Damocles, by Andy Hoare, about a rogue trader trying to improve his family's diminishing fortunes;

and Eye of Terror by Barrington J. Bailey, about another rogue trader trying to gain power and riches around the fringe worlds about the, you guessed it, Eye Of Terror.

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 10, 2023

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
Void kings is about three different rogue trader dynasties and one of them is also in the martyrs tomb

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Rogue Star and its sequel sucked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I gotta say playing the new RT video game has only confirmed my biases as a GM. Ground combat in RT just isn't particularly well-made nor does it narratively make a lot of sense as a focus for RT. The exploration, social and management gameplay is where it can shine. Sometimes the game just stops tactical time and removes the map and takes you to a storybook choose your own adventure for a minute -- and I always want more of that and less trash mobs to fight!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah I'm not really enjoying the combat much, either. I switched to Story Mode difficulty just do I can get through it faster.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm impressed with the system the CRPG uses and though there's certainly some things that wouldn't translate well to a TTRPG (Officers constantly giving other people turns inside the Officer's turn) I would like them to release a TTRPG rulebook anyway

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rogue Trader's newest actual expansion (non-module) book is a little over ten years old now, and it desperately needs a new corebook too.

Maybe the crpg will re-ignite interest in creating or refactoring material, who knows

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Giving allies bonuses and extra actions is a great solution for the problem of what the RT is actually supposed to do in combat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As currently tuned Officers are perhaps a little too good at it. The optimal party is like one guy with a gun and five guys shouting conflicting orders at him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

which does feel extremely canon tbf

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the new Imperium Maladictum is a good start for a Rogue Trader like game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Rogue Trader's newest actual expansion (non-module) book is a little over ten years old now, and it desperately needs a new corebook too.

Maybe the crpg will re-ignite interest in creating or refactoring material, who knows

While I doubt C7 is going to revive that game, but if we're lucky they might provide an RT themed expansion for W&G or IM.
Once they finally get their 40krpg releases back on track. v:v:v

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

IM is a pretty decent successor to the FFG games.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The FFG books are amazing for world- building and atmosphere but ho boy the rules are a slog to actually use. The video game kind of hits the ideal solution by going back to the Koronus Expanse but with a new system.

Of course being an owlcat game the new system is equally incomprehensible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Seeing this thread pop up again reminded me we still haven't gotten that Aeldari splatbook for W&G

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Blockhouse posted:

Seeing this thread pop up again reminded me we still haven't gotten that Aeldari splatbook for W&G

Lyres of Cyraxus

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blockhouse posted:

They know it is dead now they can finally make their own game, so I would be surprised if we see anything else for W&G.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They just announced the starter kit coming soon

E: oh that was for IM. That blog post was weird. Because there's no pre-order for the IM set, but there is for W-G

https://cubicle7games.com/warhammer-40000-wrath-and-glory-starter-set

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 29, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They know it is dead now they can finally make their own game, so I would be surprised if we see anything else for W&G.

I would hate to lose the 40k game that actually lets you play a wide variety of things for "Dark Hersey Again"

Like the games are different enough both mechanically and in scope that I would think there's room for both

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Wasn’t W&G a Cubicle 7 original?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talkie Toaster posted:

Wasn’t W&G a Cubicle 7 original?

Nope. They got the rights from someone else.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
W&G was originally developed by Ulisses North America. They are a subsidiary of German publisher Ulisses Spiele, best known for the fairly crunchy fantasy tabletop RPG The Dark Eye.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I've griped about the same on twitter in the past, and from what I've been able to gather is that C7 has been kind of overstretched and things have slipped. There hasn't been a word about the Space Marines book either since their update in April.
For that part I never saw a good summary about their Warhammer Fest talk, all I know is the picture that showed off a Dreadnought in the background. And their Gencon update was a bit too vague on details from what I can remember, but I'd have to recheck it.

But they apparently renegotiated their Warhammer franchise deal a couple of months back, and considering we've seen them talk about IM again there is a possibility that it might just show up next year.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Blockhouse posted:

Ask and ye shall receive - they just announced that it’s releasing next week.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yep:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

drat it, beaten by a mile and a half. Just spotted the tweet about it myself.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I wonder if they'll address the question of what exactly it is that Eldar corsairs steal if you're going to be playing as them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Elukka posted:

I wonder if they'll address the question of what exactly it is that Eldar corsairs steal if you're going to be playing as them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Elukka posted:

I swear I saw something once that suggested they didn’t really steal much, and it was basically rogue Eldar “sowing their wild oats” by spending time killing other races for sport. The craftworlds tolerate it because they can be useful like the rangers are (and of course they don’t care about dead humans and whatnot).