Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Wow, this thread kind of went to poo poo with a bunch of passive-aggressive sophistry.

To add content instead of commentary, though -- a question about Rogue Trader (et al) -- we're in a campaign, and I've noticed several times now there are many things such as the MIU Bionics that basically have no supporting mechanics -- ie, where MIUs are to be expected, how common they are, etc. Since I bought the PDFs through DriveThruRPG, I can search them (slightly broken) and be sure of this.

Are these covered in other books in the series (This is just an example of several we've run across in the current campaign)? Or is this meant to be hand-waving for the GM to figure out? I don't actually mind that, except I kind of wish that things in that category would actually state it, rather than leaving it unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Astus posted:

Not quite sure what you're asking, are you talking about Availability? That's in the core book, page 152 for me. MIU's are Rare. There's another sidebar on that same page that tells you how to handle installing bionics and implants. Also mentions the people and resources required to attach bionics can usually be found in "substantial medical facilities and worlds with a very high technological base."

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. I'm not asking about the rarity of the MIU implant or getting it installed, but what systems are sophisticated enough to be connected to via MIU (to gain the mechanical benefits from the MIU implant).

If I recall, there's another implant (or maybe it's an explorator talent) talking about dataports for example - but if I remember right, the RT core book doesn't talk about what has/doesn't have dataports. Just an example - and one I'm not as sure of since it's from memory.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Obviously the GM has the final word, but what are people's thoughts about MIU compatibility on fairly (not some disposable poo poo from a hive-world) nice quality man-portable weapons (vs vehicle mounted, etc) - like a Solo Bolter for example? Either having or being able to be retrofitted via TechUse/Armourer/etc?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'd say in most cases it's not likely. The fact that it's man-portable sort of makes the need for an MIU moot. Having said that, this is 40k - there's always an exception. I'd personally make it either archaeotech or best quality.

I dunno, they seem to serve multiple purposes, and on a man-portable weapon they seem like they'd be basically smartlinks ala cyberpunk - better man-machine integration than moving your meat-fingers to pull a metal trigger.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

The top levels of the Mechanicus absolutely possess huge amounts of sound and applicable knowledge, both practical and scholastic. The problem is that their fanatical pursuit of knowledge inevitably drives them to tamper with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know.

Yeah. I think it's been fairly clear that the low-levels just do poo poo by rote ritual with no real understanding.

As they get higher up they start to understand - but you see a branch between 'science' (ie, poo poo from earlier ages of man) and that-which-should-be-left-alone. It's not superstition if the mysticism is real.

Plus then you have poo poo like rumors whether there's a C'tan under the surface of Mars.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Man-Thing posted:

So question about pinning: Our group's Missionary uses a flamethrower, which apparently just werfs flammens, so the opponent makes a dodge roll, rather than him making an attack roll.

When an Explorer is pinned down by surpressive fire, they take a -20 to their BS checks. Does a flamethrower completely sidestep this, by not making BS checks? We houseruled it on the fly to give the other guys +20 to their dodge roll instead, but if someone could quote chapter-and-verse what the actual effects are in Rogue Trader, that'd be :cool:.

Another thing worth noting about flamers is if a person can't dodge far enough (area, movement speed, whatever) they don't get to try to dodge.

Zereth posted:

I don't remember where the rule is, but that is in fact exactly how it works. Thins which would be a bonus or penalty to your BS roll are instead a penalty or bonus to the Dodge roll.

Are you sure about that? I believe that is what happens if you use a flamer without proficiency, but not aware of it existing for other modifiers (range, target size bonuses, etc).

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

I agree with Fayk. I can find no mention of this all-encompassing rule. In fact, it'd be easy enough to argue that suppressing fire doesn't affect flamers, since blind fire with a flamer would be more effective than with an autogun, etc.

In addition, flamers don't get range modifiers; their listed range is their only range. Also, it's not a dodge test, it's an Agility test. Might seem minor, I know, but not every character has the dodge skill.

Yeah. I welcome being wrong, but I think it makes sense - Flamers have some major limitations - ammo, range, and more. Also profieciency: ever notice that 'universal' weapon proficiencies (Basic/Pistol/etc), despite the name, don't actually convey 'Flamer/Flame'? Seriously, look it up. You have to infer it, but it's never listed under them. (Ex. Basic Weapon Universal says like SP, Bolt, Las, blah blah)

Only Flame Weapons (Universal) or maybe Heavy Weapons (Pick one - pick flamer) do so. Lots of people assume because they have "Basic Weapons (Universal group)" that they can use a Basic Flamer (profieciently).

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

atal posted:

The 'Utility' Mechadendrite counts as a knife with the Defensive and mono upgrades, so you can use it to parry and attack, but you don't get +str to damage.

Where are you getting this rule from (not adding STR)? IT's a user using it 'as a weapon' and making an attack. I understand 'logically' why you might feel their STR shouldn't be applied (though one could argue a mechadendrite would be customized/install to best take advantage of the frame it's on) but in the rules, is there anything?

I would say that a reasonable basis for adding SB is that one them (the lifter/claw one) 'adds' to the strength of a user (or similar, no book in front of me) for tests, not a 'treat them as if strength is x' if I recall.

As far as which could be a weapon: Manipulator can be used as a bludgeon, Medicae one can be a chain-knife or whatever the hell, and if an explorator has the Machinator Array, he can mount any basic or close combat weapon to a ballistic Mechadendrite

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

Medic is the most boring class/speciality in an RPG ever made.

"Ok Bob, I got wounded in that last fight where I used my assault training to take out a bunker full of enemy special forces, now it's your time to shine!"

-rolls Medicae skill of 32-
I've eschewed abusing it, but rules-as-written and my RT Explorator's stupid intelligence + his IB from cortex implants makes his healing capability potentially hilarious for anyone who is under 'critical' wounds or whatever (>2XTB).

Oh, add in the fact I'm never more than lightly injured due to Autosanguine.

Sure, I'm not nigh-immune to small arms fire like the voidmaster brute we have with his stupidly high toughness and other defenses... I would just say that I don't feel like the medic stuff really feels 'unfun'. Add to that the fact that my character being the ships Chirurgeon only cost me the XP for medicae skill really and nothing else (since I'm gonna have int, etc) and it's pretty fun. Plus the character's nigh-transhumanist approach lets me constantly be trying to upsell people on cybernetic upgrades to replace their weak flawed flesh. Bet that hurts, I remember what pain was like... (Pain ward)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How do you guys narrate/interpret wounds in your games? I always interpreted critical damage being when actual "damage" is done to a PC and wounds just being "something else", but it feels weird when a PC gets hit for 11 wounds after reduction but still has 1 wound left and it's just like, "the grenade hits you for 11 wounds :geno:". Then next turn they get hit for 3 wounds and there's a big detailed description of how they scream in agony as their flesh is rent from their body.

I can only speak for Rogue Trader (no idea if the flavor and mechanics differ in other games) but I think of it like this:

Lightly wounded (<= 2x TB): Scrapes, sprains, anything you can walk off.
Heavily wounded: Real injuries that can be healed with no permanent loss of functionality
Critical: Potential/threatening.

My reason for seeing anything more than lightly as 'potentially big deal' is that once they are pastr lightly, you can't (regardless of how high your IB stat is) just patch them up good as new with a first aid roll. They're in the extended care or whatever rules.

If they're in extended care AND past lightly wounded, you are healing on a 'weeks' (not days) timescale.

Obviously wound systems are always abstracted in a weird way - since a lightly wounded person can take a primitive weapon to the head (outside of righteous fury, etc) but something similar might be 'just enough' (if it makes it past TB) on a critically wounded person to suddenly kill them.