Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I played one game of this and now I've got horns and a tentacle arm. The voice in my head says this is normal but I don't know. Should I be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

There's also this one, which allows you to save characters and spend XP. I can't speak to its rules adherence.

http://malleus.dk/Ordo/NpcGenerator/Default.aspx

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MOnion: maybe put this in the OP? It's a fairly comprehensive wiki for official WH40k and WHF lore.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page#.TzWAl_k9Uqk

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

So far, the team has no idea that they are being tracked by the rogue Inquisitor, or even why he is here in the first place. They also don't know how Tyrnaids got here, or why they'd attack a place known for having body shops instead of hospitals, but thankfully they haven't asked that question yet. Gives me some time to think up some story, but all in all, they had fun, and it is always fun watching newbie tabletop folks have their first game :3:.
Awesome story. Rogue Inquisitor brought Tyranids to the planet. Why? :iiam:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Our little group is going to meet again on Sunday, and if all goes according to plan, I'll have another interesting tale of the Deathwatch kill-team "Bonum Decuriae". It's a rough translation of "The Good Guys" in Latin, apparently.
That depends, are there 10 of you?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Post once for yes and twice for no.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Allow me to refer you to my fifty page Non-Disclosure Agreement that's dense with legalese and festooned with the sigils of the Ruinous Powers...
So we'll take that as a yes?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

And it don't stop.

Have another 40K RPG!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3185
Wasn't this supposed to be a supplement? Core Rulebook implies a new ruleset. Isn't BC still very new?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ze Pollack posted:

This is why you give Apothecaries Chem-Use, Demolitions, and that poison special ability, turning them into a horrifying corpse McGuyver.
Drain the blood from your enemies and replace it with explosives. Then use your powersuit-enhanced superstrength to hurl them at your foes.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I may get the opportunity to run a DH game, which would be a first for me. Is there a list of changes I can make to the rules to bring them more in line with the improved BC system? I'm definitely making shooting +10/0/-10 instead of 0/+10/+20, but is there anything else I should do? Nobody involved has played DH before, except me on PBP.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

kingcom posted:

I personally love the income system your a pack of nobodies with no equipment and nothing to count on but yourselves. Your paid very little (mostly during your mission's downtime) and need to scavenge what you can to keep going. Nothing is more awesome than having an acoylte contemplate shooting the alien monster eating his leg because of the cost of that bolt pistol ammunition.

I recommend running the game as normal to begin with rather than taking the advice of people with different playstyles, likes and dislikes into how your game works. Most of these changes have a variety of cascading changes to the game which often then creates different house rules. Makes sense if your group works in a certain way, is crazy if yours doesnt. Take for example the +10/0/-10 shooting changes. What is does is make accurate rifles the key to Dark Heresy gameplay, without making further changes everyone wants to buy one and aim for a +30 to hit (+10 if your in 70m ranged combat). This combined total of +40 for anyone who can use basic SP weapons makes combat VERY different (your rank 1 assassin for example is going to need about 80 or less to hit). A problem not obvious at first if your just trying to make things a little more damage-oriented rather than hit-oriented but you cause other problems to exist.

Your group will find what works and doesn't work for it, rather than what other people like.
Single shot still can only hit once, and with the crit effects Ashcans suggested it still makes single shot have lower potential damage than full auto. Plus, hitting is satisfying, so I don't see too much of a problem having 4/5 chance to hit for someone built for shooting.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Get swole, punch swords

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm running the Illumination adventure for some friends and I expect we'll finish it in our next session. The second half of this adventure has a lot of combat, the final combat in particular seems pretty hard.

This next session there will only be 2 players as one guy is out of town, the psyker and the tech priest, neither really built or equipped for combat. I'm wondering how to do this while keeping the action going but not overwhelming them. I considered bringing out some background characters (pre-gen sheets I had made anyway) to help them, but then they'd either have to run two characters each or I'd be rolling for them and I'm worried combat would be a little boring for them. Another option would be to 'open up the armory' and give them whatever guns they wanted, but I'm not sure they have the talents to use much.

Any advice? This is my first time DMing.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So my players finished Illumination last night. I gave them Kos'ke and 2 Ashleen for the final fight, but they didn't need the help at all. The psyker player was suspicious of Aristarchus basically from the start and they had a great rivalry going and he was able to talk Aristarchus back to reality through good RP and very hot dice, ending the ritual in a flash of light. Skae didn't get to rip anyone in half which I was a little sad about (NPCs, of course).

One thing that happened that I'm not sure if I should feel bad about. One player is playing a tech priest and from what he's said only ever plays tech priests. During the Voicer assault, he hit feedback screech to stun the last combatant, then ran up to him intending to tackle him and take him prisoner. He couldn't reach him in one round, and I told him this. The next round the Voicer comes to his senses and unloads his lasgun on the tech priest at point blank, putting him from full health to crit 2 (he spent a fate to regain health but rolled poo poo), effectively removing him from the game for the rest of the night.

The player played a guardsman pregen I had for the remainder, but seemed genuinely saddened by the near-death of his character. He later said he should have known better than to run straight at an armed madman. I said I would hand-wave away any damage from this arc (characters 'on call' for 3 months), which I was going to do anyway just to give them some cash. Am I a dick for playing it out like this? I don't want to be an antagonistic groggy DM, but combat in this game is unforgiving and he did a dumb thing.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I put one of my players' character out of commission for a session (half a session) and told him I'd hand-wave away any long term consequences and I still felt like a dick about it.

What I'm saying is you should feel like a dick.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MaliciousOnion posted:

• Basilisks can fire directly
I can see Imperial basilisk crews having trouble grasping the concept of aiming directly at a target, rather than some arbitrary dial setting and angle.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bump your BS as high as it will go, take Unnatural Aim, and get a rocket launcher as soon as possible. Explode bitches from forever far away (and maybe accidentally summon a demon).

If you spend a round of combat not psyking you're doing it wrong.

(this advice may or may not be terrible)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Why did the dark eldar let him keep his pimpin' daemon weapon? I'd think they'd be all about a Slaaneshi daemon weaopon.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oh, okay. I honestly know almost nothing about dark/whitemeat eldar.

Anyway, to your point of what to do about the geneseed, maybe have the RT sell it to some xenos/heretics involved in genetics research. Maybe somebody trying to build their own personal clone army to take over the Republic Imperium.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I recall there being generic beast stats in the DH core book.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Remember, this is 40,000 years in the future and they they just don't make bears like they used to.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do you guys deal with critical damage and healing when playing on the tabletop? Last session, two of my players got pretty hosed up, one in critical damage. RAW, he's healing 1 point a month which basically puts him out of the campaign (given in-game events will come to a head long before that). The other is heavily wounded but can function, he just has to not get hit again.

The player whose character is in crit is pretty emotionally invested in his character, so it feels cruel to make him sit out the rest of the action, but simply handwaving away horrific wounds feels cheap.

They sought medical attention, but I was generous with the time required to heal and number of wounds they got back.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

There have been hints that the BBEG's plan will go into effect within the week (in game time), but nothing concrete. He's planning a bombing, and they players have modified 2 of his bombs and detonated one of them, so he will need to build a new one and unfuck the ones he has, so there's some flexibility there.

I don't think these players see failure as an option, and to be honest I hadn't considered them just giving up. Everyone just kind of expects this thing to come to a head.

Initially, I offered up another character (I have pregens on hand for whatever) and he wasn't at all into that. He said he didn't want to play the finale with a character he hadn't invested in or developed and have his main character miss out. This is the same guy who's main character sat out the final confrontation in the Illumination campaign after taking several lasgun shots to the chest, so I can kind of see where he's coming from.

I keep trying to highlight that DH is a high-lethality game and that everyone will probably die a horrible bloody death at some point, but this guy seems legitimately sad when his character gets hurt. He's also said he only ever plays tech priests, so I suspect there's some attachment to past characters who are basically the same.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

He lost his nose.

He got an Austrian model welded on and started talking like the terminator (this gimmick was dropped in short order).

Maybe it's a problem with my pacing. They've mostly been investigating, but it's only been about a week in-game since they arrived on the planet so a month sounds like a long drat time. If I spread things out over longer periods it wouldn't be as hard a hit.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Southern Heel posted:

I'm playing my first ever RPG tomorrow, as a DM for a Dark Heresy game. I'm going with Shattered Hope (the demo campaign) for ease. I've brushed up on the rules and i've got campaign notes and cheat-sheets for combat, relevant tests and NPC stats. Is there anything I should, or shouldn't take with me in regards to reference material 'on hand' in shortform?

Since this is the first time any of us are playing, any general tips on not floundering and getting bored would be greatly appreciated.

As someone who was in your shoes ~2 months ago, I hope you're good at improvising. We spent hours doing poo poo that wasn't covered at all in that adventure, but was reasonable for the players to do. Have a handle on the important characters, how they'd react to things, and what their personalities are like. Have some no-name people around the cathedral ready, because they will ask to talk to random people.

Also, the tests in the book are harsh, and if the players fail or can't attempt them, they have no idea what the overall plot is. Give them enough information to keep them investigating.

If none of them have read the adventure before, don't let on how much of it you're making up and how much you have scripted. Let them wonder.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My players have screwed the pooch with regards to their original mission and will likely not be able to carry it out. They're largely responsible for the hive they're in being under brutal martial law and don't really have a realistic prospect of stopping the man they're after (another Inquisitorial acolyte who used his authority to get them arrested as heretics) while simultaneously dealing with dissidents clashing with PDF forces there to keep order.

In short, the political situation in the hive has gone to poo poo, they're all wanted men, and it's unlikely they'll be able to stop their target's plot before it's too late. Two of my players have said they'll just quit while they're behind.

So the situation is escape from a city under martial law. How can I make this interesting?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

They've already made contact with and worked for the city's crime boss. In their last meeting, they used their Inquisitorial authority and some creative lies to get some support in the form of personnel, but the plan went to poo poo when the guy they're after called in the cops, which led to events sparking the mass uprising and martial law.

Given the appearance of incompetence and being indirectly responsible for the city's lockdown (making it much harder to do organized crime stuff), the crime boss wouldn't hold the players in high regard and wouldn't be inclined to help them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

For serious artists, requests for unpaid work are almost always ignored. If you can find an illustrator with an interest in 40k who doesn't completely suck, an offer of $50/piece would be looked on as charity work but may be considered if they do that kind of thing anyway.

Don't ask for free work. It's a very common request made of artists and most just find it insulting.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'll be running a horror themed adventure this week for my acolytes and I'm looking for some last minute ideas.

The setup is they've unexpectedly crash-landed on a planet and due to adverse weather conditions will be holed up in a Imperial Guard communications station staffed by a skeleton crew (pun not intended), then poo poo gets all spooky. Per all the usual horror tropes, I'm going to limit their resources, isolate them even further, and have them encounter all manner of spooky stuff (they might be reading this so I don't want to get too specific).

I've got some ideas for messing with them, but this is my first time doing a horror thing and I'd like to hear what other people have used successfully.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What are the rules in DH for using psychic powers in melee? As far as I can tell there aren't any.

It came up where my psyker player wanted to use Force Missiles in melee. After some deliberation we decided to treat ranged psychic powers as basic weapons for the purposes of use in melee (i.e. you can't use them). What's a good house rule for this?

Also, for any effect that says -10 to all tests (e.g. fatigue), there is no effect on the use of psychic powers. I've heard later games change how they're used to involve a WP test, but for DH, what would be a good rule to use?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hodgepodge posted:

One of the Rogue Trader books is set on a Maiden World and has defending Wraithguards and Craftworld Eldar showing up to claim the place.

If you want to make DH more survivable, start the party at Rank 4, make sure they have access to background and alternative rank material from The Inquisitor's Handbook, and let them know it's okay to optimize for combat.

Also let them have better gear than the core book would imply. The stuff on incomes is groggy simulationist poo poo that is there for 'verisimilitude' and which the developers assumed would be ignored. (Also about half the income brackets can be bypassed just by taking a profession skill). Hand out the level of gear you think they need to have a decent shot at living. If there are going to be Bloodletters, let them have some Holy poo poo, even if its straight up divine intervention. Better yet, let their Priest get some Faith talents.

Some of the later books have good options for increased-power DH characters. Book of Judgement and Daemon Hunter are good.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Inquisitorial Animal Health and Safety inspectors to ensure no live animals are harmed orally decapitated during the performance.

Also some sort of audience participation. Possibly live crew and past dead crew in a mosh pit. Crowd surfing on ghosts.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It sounds like you want to play FATE. FATE has a fun system of inflicting stress and taking consequences and rewards rolling better on attacks. What you're doing seems... complicated.

Since when does righteous fury need to be confirmed? (note: I've only played DH)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You have to test WS/BS before you are allowed to add the extra d10 when you proc Righteous Fury. It's always been that way, check page 195 of the core rulebook.
Well I'll be. My entire 5-person group missed this; we just add 1d10 without another check.

Personally I prefer that, since rolling a 10 is exciting but if you then fail the second test it's a big letdown. Pathfinder has confirming crits and it's a huge disappointment.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I just want to point out that literally no other mechanic in DH (and probably all of the other 40k games) uses a d20.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My only experience with the pre-published adventures is Illumination in the DH core book and after they got to the settlement with the cathedral we spent two hours doing poo poo the adventure doesn't even mention in passing. I had been dropping subtle hints about Aristarchus (GMNPC co-acolyte who leads the players there and is subtly being corrupted by a daemon without his knowledge) and one of the players latched onto him like a box turtle. I had read the adventure and prepared notes on some stuff that I didn't use and basically had to just wing it the entire time.

It was a good introduction to GMing.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Daeren posted:

Considering most ships in 40k are about a kilometer long with gun batteries the size of city blocks, I gotta wonder how the hell something that size even has a warp drive, let alone any chance surviving against raiders.

You can just ignore this part of the lore and pretend large ships are closer to the size of aircraft carriers. You're allowed to do that.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cynic Jester posted:

They're getting the guy who wrote FATAL to do it.

Please don't make inappropriate jokes.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How about the idea of ascending to the perfect form of sentience - completely free of the limitations of one's physical body, living as an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-experiencing entity in the Warp. The Imperial cult holds the human form sacred and this idea runs completely counter to it. You'd have cultists committing suicide to free their spirits into the warp and maybe coming back to convert others (by which I mean possess them).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Kharol posted:

I'm running into the same issue in my Only War campaign right now. Between the Storm Trooper and Heavy with TB 6 and Storm Trooper Carapace, and the Psyker with TB 4, UnT 4, and a Good Quality Carapace Chestplate, most conventional weaponry is bouncing right off them. They're on a world that's been cut off from the Imperium for a thousand years, regressing to a nomads with autoguns situation. I could be using Accurate weapons to really lay on the hurt, but that ends up skirting dangerously close to a TPK (say, an opposing squad, prone, with cover and sniper rifles? That is seriously a Quality in need of rebalancing.). Of course, the situation is going to turn around when the nomads begin tapping into their lost-to-history Imperial weapon caches.
IEDs and hit and run gunfire. If they're too powerful to beat in a stand-up fight, it doesn't really make sense to go toe to toe with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

PST posted:

Having just wrapped the latest arc on a 2 and a half year L5R campaign, I'm burned out on Rokugan for a while. My players expressed the preference for 40k and as my other campaign is an occult horror investigation game we decided on Rogue Trader over Dark Heresy.

That said, I've not picked up Only War or Black Crusade but have heard the system has been simplified/improved in those books.

How easy would it be to adapt Rogue Trader into them, is it worth doing etc?

I'm starting a game using the OW system with the DH setting, here. OW makes some assumptions about the players being in the Guard (e.g. Logistics tests to get gear, item availability) and you just need to find a way to work around or justify them in your chosen setting.