Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'd say almost all military vehicles and a lot of their hardware would have MIU interfaces. A raider dune buggy, nah, but any given chimera or human-manufactured spacecraft would.

Really? My impression has always been that almost every Imperial Guard vehicle is basically just armor and a big gun (or five) on top of a tractor. Isn't the Chimera supposed to be the tank version of the lasgun? Y'know, really easy to manufacture, maintain, and ship, but pretty crappy unless used in absolutely hilarious numbers?

I can't imagine someone saying, "Yeah, slow production by ten minutes per unit to install something that'll let the Mechanicus fix it. There's no way the first dozen through a breach will be just utterly destroyed."

Seriously, the Guard goes through armored vehicles like a hypochondriac goes through penicillin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'm partially convinced that the Mechanicus don't believe any of the poo poo they preach at all, and are essentially running a long con on the rest of the Adeptus Terra to hoard all of the good stuff for themselves and keep all the rest of the benighted loving barbarians in the Imperium from wrecking their cool ships and robots by poking their fingers in places they don't belong.

You know, if you could make DH into a more Call of Cthulhu type of investigation game, that would be a pretty cool premise. You're sent on a mission by your (slightly rogue?) Inquisitor to find out the secret of Binary or whatever and it just digs you deeper and deeper. At some point the Inquisitor proves to be too inquisitive and gets killed off, and before too long the acolytes have started to stumble on data that the Tech Priests are dicking the Imperium over. Cue sanity-losing series of sessions that end with half of the team dead and the others too insane to be believed.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

SlothBear posted:

Pardon my ignorance but...what is that?

It's a book.

On a less smart-rear end note, http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3065

ItalicSquirrels fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 18, 2012

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Ze Pollack posted:

This message brought to you by the Istvaanians: Strength Through Other People's Suffering.

Now I kinda want to see what would pop up if the various Inquisitorial factions started campaigning like politicians nowadays.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

CommissarMega posted:

Emperor's teeth, what have I got myself into :smith:

A fairly standard 40k game.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Show them this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM&ob=av3e In spite of being a touch gimmicky, pretty much everything you need to know is in there.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

...that being said, I wonder how 'lethal' this game is going to be. I mean Guardsmens are the 40k redshirts, so it'd be weird to get to a super powered point and laugh at enemies. Not sure if there is much room for stuff outside of combat in this setting.

Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Nigh-unkillable badasses that are the only ones left standing after all around them have died. In this game, you and your party will emerge from beneath a pile of dead xenos to see all around you the bodies of the rest of your regiment locked in death with the bodies of even more xenos. From beneath another pile will emerge a Commissar, your Colonel, one of his bodyguards, and the communications man. The ten of you will look at each other and nod, a job well done. Then the comms man will receive a brief message. "Evacuation incomplete. Next enemy wave ETA fifteen minutes. Hold them at all costs. The Emperor Protects."

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
My understanding was that what Khorne was against was people who didn't kill up close and personal, preferably with the most fountainy display of blood possible and that it wasn't psykers as a whole he was against, just the little pansies who sat in the back turning peoples' blood into acid or shooting lightning from their hands or whatever. Would Khorne really object to a psyker who used his powers to run faster and hit harder, thus enabling him to push a sword through your face?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Yoshimo posted:

Why would they do this? Astartes are explicitly terrible at any of that stuff. And might be fun to have a "fish out of water" moment as you realise you are all oversized :spergin: who don't really know anything other than how to shoot bolts into aliens, but an entire adventure?

"Hello fellow heretic! I sure do enjoy smuggling goods past the lawful guardians of the Imperium, don't you? Especially those thrice-damned xenos artifacts that we smugglers can sell to those foolish nobles for unreasonable amounts of money which of course is what we are all concerned with! And to think all it costs us is our immortal souls! Would you happen to know what abominable race you got your artifacts from so that my stalwart companions and I might purge them? Of their money, I mean!"

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I might be using 10-year-old fluff, but I recall that the longest lived humans were (barring assassination) the High Lords of Terra who usually topped out at around 1000 years old. And really, for game purposes, saying that one dude is so wealthy that he's reaching the end of his life at his millennial birthday is enough to tell most players that the obscenely rich live for about as long as they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Synonymous posted:

I'm looking at getting into Dark Heresy very soon and am planning on playing a Psyker, because the Warp Manifestations and Sanctioning Side Effects sound fun and insane. This will be my first pen and paper RPG, let alone my first DH game- anything I should know about playing a Psyker? Is it a horrible choice for a newbie?

Dark Heresy is not like a lot of other RPGs. Like if you've played Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, Mass Effect, or others in that line, you'll be used to the idea that you (and to a lesser extent, your party) can somehow deal with whatever gets thrown your way. Shoot it, trap it, trick it, whatever it is, you'll come out on top(ish).

That's not the case with Dark Heresy. You're playing a cross between a steampunk investigation, Paranoia, and a Lovecraft novel. poo poo can kill you just because. You do not have enough cash, you do not have enough ammo, and you do not have enough vitality to deal with everything. Hell, you don't have enough of those to deal with most things. The worst are the Things From Beyond. They take pleasure in finding new ways for you to suffer/die just for their amusement.

And you're taking the one character that, just by rolling bad, can summon the Things From Beyond. Be very careful about when you decide to roll those dice and be very careful that there's no one around that will mistake your use of those dice for your being a Thing From Beyond. As a side note, some of those people will be on your side. In fact, most will.

On the other hand, making poo poo explode with brainpower can be incredibly satisfying.