Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I'm really wanting to get into a 40k RPG. Considering I just moved to a new town, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Are there any live (maptools) games going on or is it all PbP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Man-Thing posted:

I'm running a game with some people who have never done a 40k game before. Mind if I totally rip off your premise?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Thanks, mostly I like the idea of "the players serving under an NPC captain, ship explodes, players now on their own in unknown space" kind of thing.

We also have a very narrow window of game time and I haven't met most of these players, so I'm going really fast and loose with the game mechanics this time around and will have some pre-gens ready to go just in case.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Creatures Anathema is pretty much the go-to book for all of your alien monster needs. It has a huge amount of things for your players to kill/be killed by. The other core books usually have some pretty good lists of antagonists. Barring that, you can just stat up something really quick and flavor it however you want.

I'm wondering if using the revised combat mechanics from Black Crusade in my Rogue Trader game is a good idea. The rules are of course way better, but it might be confusing to the players.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Finished the Stolen Introduction Session.

The players arrived at The Battleground as members of the crew of an NPC captain (the RT's 'uncle' who was grooming his nephew to eventually take command after he retired). They go looking for something super valuable amongst the field of wrecked space hulks. This is where I take the time to explain to the players what exactly a space ship is in 40k and what their jobs are.

Once everyone's clear on that they look around the space debris before one of the hulks turns out to be a Chaos cruiser that was running on silent. It powers up before chasing down the player's tugboat and starts shooting it to bits. The players decide to abandon ship and hope the cruiser doesn't notice.

They watch their old ship and home get cut in half by lance weapons and explode. (Uncle...) Then they go looking for a ship that might serve as a replacement. They find a derelict ship with a plasma core that still has a spark of life and decide to claim it.

(Instead of a crazy astropath like Man-Thing used, I decided it had a small Rak'gol infestation. Hoo boy I forgot how hard those things are to take down.)

After barely clearing out the Rak'gol, the players set to getting the ship in operational order. That is when I handed them their ship sheet and they got to "rebuild" their ship from scratch. I let them use as many Ship Points they wanted and used the leftover points as their starting Profit Factor. They ended up with a kick-rear end ship (with like 6% crew) and a profit Factor of 39.

They claim they had a good time, even though a handful of Rak'gol nearly killed them all. (I fudged a bit. These guys were kinda new.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Is DH 2nd ed good?