Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Ugh it turns out Dan Abnett wrote a canon version of the final battle of the Horus Heresy and basically confirmed all the existing lore. That sucks! I love it when 10,000 year old records have errors and omissions and fanfic inserted by later scribes and then modern scholars argue about it for generations. Ollanius Pious is an interesting character when he's inserted by later chroniclers who assume that the patron saint of the Guard was a real person and put him in because that's now the tradition 3,000 years later. There's nothing whatsoever interesting about him just getting murked by Horus.

someone reported this post for spoilers. I have no idea if this is really spoilery or not, but since this book is brand new, let's err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags for stuff about the contents OK? Thanks folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like it's good to occasionally mix in a random snippet of extremely ancient lore gleaned from a user manual or box insert for the technology that has worked its way into the liturgical text. Like "no warranty express or implied" or "do not immerse"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also all RPG books like this are stuffed full of reference material that you do not need to memorize or learn. Like you don't need to read what every weapon does or even how every kind of character works, you'll just be working on the core operating rules of the game, and then engage with sets of sub-rules as needed: if one player makes a character with certain features, you'll want to know at a basic level more or less how those specific features work. But even then, you'll lean on your players to understand their own characters' mechanics and they can tell you poo poo, like "my character gets to do X here, because of Y feature, and I roll 2d6+3" and you just believe them and keep playing, you didn't need to have that rule memorized.

Assume that in your first few game sessions you'll get several things wrong, and also need to sometimes stop and look something up. You can allow yourself a minute or two to find something if you're pretty sure you know where to find it; but don't spend 5+ minutes trying to find a rule, just make a note, have the game progress in a way that makes sense to you and the players, and then look up the actual rule after your game sessions so you'll know what to do next time.