Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Every Gork and Mork myth starts with them getting bored and beating someone up, and ends with "And that's why orks are awesome in THIS way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I never want to see a Dark Eldar game because I'm pretty sure all those people who post stats for their harems online would be the first to sign up.

Edit: "But wait, what mechanical benefit do I gain from slowly stripping the flesh off of this random dude, is that like an extra week of life or what."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Because they don't think the Tyranids are being viewed with enough terror. Because they think the Tyranids might be a good weapon to use against the Orks/Chaos/Everything. Because they think that this planet needs to be destablized and destroyed so that the sector may live. Because they think that Orks will kill us all unless we throw everything at them now. Because they've gone evil and this is step 174 towards summoning a demon into them and becoming a demon prince.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Don't have the marines attached to the Rogue Trader, have three of them show up unannounced and flatly state that thanks to a debt incurred milennia ago by the RT's great great great great to the nth grandmother when their parent chapter saved her rear end, guess who gets to tag along for the forseeable future?

Limit their interaction. They are immediately going to gently caress off to the most isolated part of the ship and stay there, not deigning to interact with the likes of you unless it's neccessary. They won't plot the ship's course, trusting to the rogue trader, but they will demand to set foot on and explore any world they deem interesting. They will disappear for days doing this, and it's been made clear that their deaths would incur a horrendous blood debt of actual enforced conscription, so have your players freak out and try to follow. They will absolutely not be of any help with a mission and most heretical poo poo will have to be hidden.

If they engage in combat it should be with massively outsized threats and very occasionally they should pull a deus ex machina.

Unless you're planning on having someone play the Space Marine, in which case just have one guy do it and have him be a scout designed to find worthy planets that merit a closer, actual inspection by the higher ups.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
They put a Rogue Trader version in the Deathwatch book, no idea how it actually plays though. You could always take a page from Black Crusade and be all,

"Holy poo poo, a Carnifex! Space Marine, go nuts. Everyone else, start fixing the ship/rallying the troops/running like hell."

Edit: "Holy poo poo, a social situation! Space Marine, stand in a corner and glower menacingly at the idea of 'fun'. Everyone else, go nuts."

Benagain fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 29, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Re: cryotech there are a few one off references to a different from the xeno one Cold Guild which operates in imperial space picking up exiled nobles and carrying them frozen in long slow journeys to the outer rim.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is it going to be straight out Dark Eldar or an Outcast type dude?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well it's Eldar, so you can always do the "Pfft, the time I spend hanging out with you losers is a tiny fraction of my total lifespan and you're mildly amusing" type thing.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd actually drop the specifics about the Gods, especially if they're new, because that's all stuff that's fairly easy to find out and explain in setting and your average DH character/imperial citizen does not know anything about Chaos except "It's bad, mutants, kill/burn/purge." Let them find out more about Khorne by having them repeatedly fight people screaming about the Blood God!

The Rogue Trader book actually has some good, concise write ups on the various factions if you're looking for inspiration, but otherwise make sure they have a scattering of various Lore skills and just explain bone simple stuff during play.

Edit: What mechafunkzilla said.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm betting that this is also going to be a fresh crack at low-powered games with the new ruleset and will also help them pave the way for DH 2.0, which you know is going to happen at some point.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeeeeeeessssssss. Finally! Also, they used one of my flavor quotes in that press release. As usual, I can't give any real details other than "It's rad". The only more detail I can go into is, "It's loving rad and was the game I wanted to work on in the first place!"

Can you at least give us a radness number from 1 to 10?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm fairly sure that I read this in an IG short story omnibus, who I'm sure stole it from somewhere else, but the basic idea was that this guy who managed to be the sole survivor of an entire regiment (twice) is hated and feared by everyone, because they figure there's only so much luck to go around and this bastard apparently takes all of it.

Which would be a great party mechanic. "You bastards just won't die, dammit, and no one will work with you! You're all being assigned to forward recon!"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mikael Kreoss posted:

The defense choice will let you punch through chainswords. God bless 40k.

Well, there's your answer. Who cares if it's broken give it to them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
"Yes, this relic was passed down to us by your last chapter master. I'm surprised you don't remember."

"The relic we just found on this uninhabited planet? Waaaay on the other side of space from either of our homeworlds?"

"The Emperor works in mysterious ways."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I was thinking about Space Marines and all the genetic modification and stuff and realized that if you made them a tad more androgynous you could have Space Marines be originally male or female but they've gone through so many bio-grafts, gene tweaks, and other assorted TECHNO SORCERY OF THE 41st AND A HALF MILLENIUM that not only are they unrecognizable it's essentially impossible to tell what gender they were even at a genetic level, they're just these gigantic hulks of flesh who've had all of their sex drive rewired into the "killing poo poo" areas of the brain.

Then you can make the Sisters of Battle be just the straight up army of the church, call 'em the Clerics Millitant or something, men and women wearing power armor without all the modifications and surviving through faith and zeal, as well as dropping that incredibly stupid "no men under arms" origin story. The bit where they revolt and are then turned back to the light by the emperor can be kept.

In other news I've been sick all day and this is what my brain does when it has nothing better to amuse itself.

Edit: Oh, I interrupted Ork Chat. "NEEDS MORE SPARKLY BITZ, BOSS!"

"uh...the boss wants to be even...happier..."

Benagain fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 20, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but fires superheated crystal bolts that only barely resemble a las-blast, then it is Heresy and will be purged by anyone devout who finds out. Especially since it's a duck that's shooting laser beams, c'mon man that thing is totally possessed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hellhounds don't "have the potential to become" a firetrap, pretty sure the entire thing is designed to explode into flames as you turn the ignition and you're only supposed to live long enough to scream "FOR THE EMPEROR" as you steer it into enemy lines.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Assumethisisreal posted:

So this Sunday I played a game of Black Crusade, but running the players through the classic Paranoia module "Stealth Train." It went about as well as you can expect.

I knew what was coming when those civilians showed up and I still laughed my rear end off. I'm stealing this idea and any more ideas you're likely to have in the future.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's 40,000 years in the future, handwave whatever widespread genetic modification and medical technology you want. All of which is only available to the upper crust, of course, everyone else gets to hack their lungs out at 18 on their second shift of the day.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm not sure that any space marine has died of old age.

Also in the 5th edition rulebook there was something called the Abyssal Crusade, where one Saint Basillius deems about 30 Space Marine chapters' faith in the Emperor wanting, and sends them on a crusade into the Eye of Terror.

In the current rulebook, that bit is followed up on by having the marines finish their crusade almost 800 years later, return, declare Saint Basillius a heretic, and execute him.

Also destroy all his shrines, and launch his followers into the sun.

See I like to think that their first thought was just to laugh and maybe kill him, but then they got together and someone said "Hey, y'know what? I'm itching to kill a poo poo ton of heretics anyway, so why not?"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
With Dark Eldar "It seemed like it'd be funny" is a legit motivation.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liesmith posted:

the idea of a deathworld that isn't a jungle is cool. I like the thought of a crashed starship making a colony on water-deathworld, defending the perimiter of the ship from the terrors in the ocean, constantly getting attacked by poo poo and yet you gotta go out of that perimiter or let something inside if you want to go fishing. Everyone lives off the fish predators they kill. Something like that.

All this from "water deathworld"

Read the Spatterjay trilogy by Neal Asher, focused around a world in which the oceans literally seethe with life. The root of the eco-system is a leech which bores corkscrew shaped pieces of flesh out of you, and incidentally infect you with a virus which makes you effectively immortal. The longer you live with it the tougher it makes you and the faster you regenerate, until you've got 900 year old humans with arms like oak trees that can bend steel plates.

There are several downsides to this. One is that the entire ecosystem of the planet is based around this, so when I said the ocean was seething I mean everything is constantly eating everything else and constantly regenerating, so if you fall in and aren't heavily armored you're going to spend the rest of your life as a barely aware spinal cord constantly screaming in agony. Two is that the leeches which infect you also have the ability to digest the virus and produce a toxin in their guts which will kill you instantly. A tiny one doesn't have enough to do the job, but there are huge ones the size of submarines that do. Three is that the virus will automatically try to adapt you to the surroundings, so if you don't make sure you have access to a steady diet of offworld food you're going to start turning into something that's best suited to extracting nutrition on this world, i.e. a leech.

So there are dudes who get cut off from society for one reason or another and then turn into these immensely strong leech headed abominations that lose all ability to think or speak.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Or you could just get every black templar sub-fleet in one place at the same time. Do a proper crusade.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Don't strip their gear, that's a dick move. Try to introduce more situations that freak them out and horrify them but aren't solvable just through combat , really hammer home that "Oh gently caress, we can't just shoot this problem and move on like we used to" feel. Focus on the fact that even though they're used to working on their own they are utterly and truly alone here, no regiment, no commanding officers, etc. They can't requisition anything and will have to get very creative to make sure they have enough ammo to fuel those weapons. I mean, they're PCs so they'll inevitably wind up creatively stealing all of it but hell, that's at least two sessions for you. Let the gear be a reminder of how much easier things used to be.

Don't switch to Dark Heresy the system, just have them run a few missions in Only War with a Dark Heresy bent.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The trick with Space Marines is to realize that every single chapter is just faking the "YES BROTHER" stuff while secretly trying to pull something galaxy-destabilizing off and engaging in weird secret rituals that make their normal 'secret' rituals look tame. Yes, even the Ultramarines, who are trying to re-organize a Legion. Which is why Deathwatch is great, since you've got all these dudes who were sent to the rear end-end of nowhere with no chapter support trying to figure out how much they can get away with now that they've bonded with these other dudes over a hearty round of killing aliens.

Edit: I just realized that I really want to see a Deathwatch soap opera and I don't care who knows it.

"This week, Marneus the Space Shark debates whether to approach Calgar the Ultramarine and offer to induct him into his ancestral blood cult. Will Calgar report him as a heretic or accept the honor as intended? Meanwhile, Ferrus the Salamander tries to perfect his latest flamer despite Horace the Space Wolf drinking all the promethium."

Benagain fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 7, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's been briefly mentioned in a couple books that all the Ultramarines successor chapters have absolutely no problem working under Ultramarines leadership and there have been one or two combined operations where they basically said "gently caress this specific thing right here" and unleashed the pain.

Basically, the Space Wolves said "gently caress the rules, we'll have as many dudes as we want." The Black Templars said "Sure, we're following the rules." and then made themselves impossible to count. The Ultramarines said "Yes, absolutely, we'll split into as many chapters as you want. All of whom will follow our exact doctrine, revere our primarch, use our tactics, and follow our orders."

I mean obviously there's been a few successors who don't toe the exact doctrinal line but by and large the Ultramarines probably command allegiance from at least a third of all existing chapters if not more.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
To be fair leaving yourself on fire because you think it's cool is pretty orky.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Had an idea for a Chaos planet in a dream and since I'm not in a game or likely to be in a game any time soon, figured I'd share my idea with you guys so someone could use it.

Slanesshi planet. There is no aging here, you hit 25 and stay pretty forever. There's no accidental death, either. No one gets sick, no one has a heart attack, etc. Murder would be unspeakably crass. Population growth is unabated. Everyone on the planet is consumed with advancing some aspect of art or science forward from birth till death. Death is entirely voluntary and part of someone else's project. There's an installation that's been running non-stop for five hundred years called "Pouring Away Like Water" that consists of a stream of people jumping off a cliff and imitating a waterfall.

Tourism is perfectly safe and encouraged, although a significant fraction of the tourists are so overcome by the beauty of it all that they sign up to be part of it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If they acquire them on the black market, don't take them away out of hand but do make them explain how they're moving those things between missions and hiding them from official notice. Turn it into a mini-adventure. Bribe shuttle pilots to take on extra weight, run dangerous errands for quartermasters to have them marked as official gear, blackmail the tech-priest, that kind of thing.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
What I'd do is have them build up the colony for a bit, kill some indigenous xenos, etc, then at some point they're going to want supplies that they can't build or obtain locally and will have to warp back to the nearest friendly port. At that point, talk about how agents from random dickbags a to z are swarming the station and holy poo poo, probably not a good idea for them to find out about the colony! So then they've got to obtain everything under a veil of secrecy, try to disguise their warp jumps, prevent random crew from blabbing, all that fun stuff. Then just let things happen.

If the enemies find out, now you've got to maintain a permanent defensive presence there, which your characters maybe are too busy to do. Time to make some allies and cut them in on the profits, or hire troops, or expand the fleet.

Or just throw a minor ork invasion at them, or have a damaged ship drop from the warp requesting repair but oh poo poo now they know! You've got tons of options.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Asehujiko posted:

How much ramming damage do Grand Cruisers and Battlecruisers do? Battlefleet makes no mention of them.

Well if you can actually ram something that will almost inevitably be smaller and nimbler than you then I think you deserve to destroy it utterly, and if you ram something bigger than the answer should be "enough" for whatever you're trying to do. Those things are stupidly huge.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you're feeling bad have him luck into a super good arm that isn't programmed properly so right now it sucks, but if you manage to suck up to a magos long enough they might be persuaded to activate the built in bolter/flamer/chainsword/powerclaw/all of the above.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Clanpot Shake posted:

In my IRL group last night things started coming to a head. We've infiltrated a secret facility where two of the planet's three major crime families / political powers are performing experiments using a warp artifact that fucks with time. This effort is lead by an immensely powerful psyker and it's heretical as all get-out.

Activating the warp artifact requires a dozen or so psykers who are basically disposable daemon-host vessels and a sacrifice of several thousand regular people. Since no mere mortal can activate the device, they've summoned and bound an incredibly powerful daemon into a daemonhost, who they instruct with very carefully worded legal contracts to do their bidding.

Through a series of grossly incompetent blunders we've mostly blown our cover, though they don't yet know we were sent there by the Inquisition. My character, an arrogant adept, has been separated from the rest of the group. They were taken into custody while I managed to escape. There's an APB out for me, but since it's a huge facility most people won't recognize me.

So, being basically screwed as everyone in charge of the inescapable facility has it in for me, I decide to try my best chance of survival: a deal with the daemonhost, Arcanthus. He had appeared to us before, and sent us to aid those who summoned him when some poo poo went bad, which was how the powers that be became aware of us in the first place. I wager that since he's obviously being held against his will, we can help each other - I'll free him in exchange for him killing the people out to get me.

Arcanthus has other plans though. He tells me he actually wants to be there, and that the device needs to be returned to the warp, an order from the Lord of Change himself (ruh roh). He will help me though. I agree to alter the orders before they're read to him so he can make off with the device, and he gives me a ritual that will transfer my soul to another body with just a scroll written in my blood containing my own name, the name of my new body, affixed to something that person holds dear.

There's a catch though. The ritual requires some questionable terms. It will summon a daemon who specializes in these kinds of soul transfers. I'll need to sell my soul to him (terms yet to be revealed), and then die. The daemon will then take my soul, swaddled like a precious babe, and place it in the target body, presumably evicting its current occupant and maybe dining on the delicious homeless soul. Apparently I just have to trust that this will go totally smoothly.

But I've got a plan. The leader of this crazy operation is incredibly driven, and the device is something she's poured an immense amount of energy and resources into. I'm going to write this scroll up, glue it to the device, and conduct the ritual. When they finally find me they'll probably execute me, at which point my soul will be whisked away into her body. Then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I want, including banishing Arcanthus and dismantling the project.

Foolproof.

There were two options here, this and 'cleanse everything with a holy reactor explosion.'

You picked the right one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It can't be stressed enough that if you want to get a feel for how to manage inter-party workings where one of the PCs happens to be a captain, read Patrick O'Brian. Or any age of sail novel, really. Captains get to boss people around, yeah, but they're also people, and most of them are very aware that there is a fairly hard limit on how much they can push. Especially in a situation where you have people who are less 'in the chain of command' and more 'my buddy, who knows cool poo poo and is hanging out with me while we kill/bribe Xenos.' Plus, specialists are there for a reason.

It's expected that in times of crisis the captain will be providing a firm figurehead for the crew and snapping off orders and so forth but there are also innumerable customs, unwritten rules, and loopholes that not only the PCs but the crew will expect them to follow, and repeated violations are the number one cause for mutiny.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Omarius imminent.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Your ork should be orkifying everything he gets his hands on. So what if regular human armor doesn't fit? Have him staple together two or three human sets of armor and give them interesting side effects.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

He'll fail his willpower test and run around like a rampaging refrigerator. Fire is the best way to deal with ork players.

The question is "will he be more or less effective on fire and shooting randomly then not on fire and shooting something specific" and for Orks the answer should be obvious.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doug Lombardi posted:

As the GM in Only War, you are totally free to destroy, steal, or simply confiscate any items the PCs have that isn't part of their Standard Kit. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't been doing that all game though.

Yeah there was a great solution to this someone posted earlier that was basically "work to keep their sweet-rear end gear."

Don't just arbitrarily take it away, give them a heads-up that a new commisar's coming in and scuttlebutt is he's a hardass for the rules looking to make an impression. Suddenly the quartermaster who's been happily taking bribes to ship your gear from place to place is a lot more reluctant to break the regulations. So now what do you do? Maybe you can only keep some of it. maybe you take a risk trying to get it all through. Maybe you find another quartermaster. Maybe you try to get yourself appointed quartermaster.

"Troops finding inventive ways to move all the stuff they stole/acquired from battlefield to battlefield" is something that's been around since the dawn of warfare, just remember that in most warzones people will turn a blind eye to it but you're going to be shipped with your backpack and whatever you can personally carry, anything bulkier than that goes in the baggage train.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 11, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I picture it more like this, actually.

"Hah! Tell them we want TWENTY crates of las rifles this time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Commisars in the Russian Army actually performed many of the traditional duties of priests, such as writing letters home for illiterate conscripts. If you ever want to punctuate the grimdark with some niceness have the hardass commissar announce that he's got two hours to jot down some lines for your family.