Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

In our Black Crusade game that evolved out of a Dark Heresy campaign, our ex-Battle Sister originally turned on the Imperium (well okay at first she was just a fugitive, but then she came around to crime and now Chaos). Towards the end of her training, they discovered latent psychic ability and tortured the hell out of her before our ragtag band rescued her in transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

You could also contract "the Imperium" to "th'mperium" in a sort of mushy slur to get the same effect.

My BC disgusting Nurgle-worshiping space hillbilly says it like this.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'd say almost all military vehicles and a lot of their hardware would have MIU interfaces. A raider dune buggy, nah, but any given chimera or human-manufactured spacecraft would.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

You could be right, but I don't assume the Guard streamlines anything from the original designs. I think it'd be appropriate to have a slot on the vehicle that most of them think is a broken-rear end tape deck or something until a techpriest or someone who isn't an idiot starts punching deck in their lovely APC.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

My favorite thing in 40k roleplay is coming up with stupid grim names for stuff.

Statue of the planet's saint who survived a bolt through the eye? Phineas Rage.

Ancient Terran telecommunications of dashes and dots?

MOROSE CODE. :haw:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I love the "orks are psychic" idea as a goofy alternative explanation, but yeah a guardsman picking up an ork's gun is like if a guy who knows nothing about cars or even engines (aside from how to make his Civic "go") hopped in a country-rear end junker with an ignition switch inside the glovebox and a standard transmission (which he's never even heard of), and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it must require some kind of hill-people witchcraft to operate.

ed: :iiaca:

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 14, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

:twisted: "Welcome, human war prisoners, to the unending hell of IMPROPER NUTRITION."

ed: it's like Hogan's Heroes where yeah the bad guys are loving Nazis, but things aren't really that bad.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 16, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

20 wounds is incredibly fragile. Don't be afraid to give it way more offensive capability either. As much as some people talk about how deadly 40kRP is, intelligent use of fate points makes players pretty difficult to kill.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

This works out great because my favorite DH game ever was a Guard game that was basically just Kelly's Heroes in space. It'll be nice to be able to do that now that they've learned from a lot of their mistakes.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Benagain posted:

Well, there's your answer. Who cares if it's broken give it to them.

Yeah there's really no such thing as "too much" in Deathwatch. The only reason to really limit poo poo you give players is so that you don't blow your load and become unable to top yourself, stopping the feeling of progression.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Have the Astartes start getting picked off by a mob of Kommando Nobs in the dust storm. Should be really eerie for the players when even space marines are disappearing into the dust. This is also a good excuse to have the party get separated from the marines when a Nob appears in front of them that they have to fight, since actually fighting alongside space marines can make combat kind of dumb. Then after the they kill it the marines reappear through the dust storm, wounded but victorious and covered in ork blood.

The players are the space marines.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Also, while they do have some measure of their boss's authority, only the least subtle Inquisitors aren't going to get upset if their name is constantly being dropped.

While Inquisitors are sort of a law unto themselves, their acolytes are more like conventional undercover cops. Eventually they do get to pull out their badge and go "YUP I WAS AN AGENT OF THE IMPERIUM ALL ALONG!" and get into a shootout or set cultists on fire or whatever, but doing that too early is more like than not to send your quarry scattering like cockroaches; and it's too big a universe to be optimistic about finding people who know they're being hunted.

The Leman Russ thresher sounds awesome. Hell, it can chase them through buildings.

If your players turn out to be total action junkies, consider setting future games in a warzone. One of my favorite DH games had the PCs start as Guardsmen who were tapped to kill specific targets/recover artifacts/investigate mysteries/weed out traitors in whatever war their regiment was currently involved in, so it pretty much turned into Three Kings 40k. Everyone thought they were complete flaky shitheads or cowards for never being around for the horrible meatgrinder battles, and only Inquisitorial intervention like unit transfers kept them from being executed by commissars once or twice.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 6, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Waci posted:

With the rather significant secondary cost of turning into an unbound demonhost and killing the party.

Which, because of its unlikelihood and fate points, basically never happens unless you let it. Psychic stuff needs some kind of revamp.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

If you want to make Dark Heresy easier all you have to do is allow Biomancy.

My group lays Black Crusade combat rules over every game in the line because they're straight-up better; has Only War improved on them further, or are they about the same?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

kingcom posted:

Also for anyone who isnt sure, don't listen to this nonsense. The Black Crusade rules work for an entirely different game than Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader setup. One is not inherently better than the other, they just enforce different styles of gameplay. Something as simple as a +10 to hit from single shots means that combat suddenly a far more viable and encouraged option rather than something you try to actively avoid. It might work for your group but it does not mean it is inherently better.

It makes multiple attacks less dopey and gives you a reason to not just go full auto all day every day. Also having to take an action specifically to suppress an enemy instead of "well every time you get shot at, make a willpower check to not be useless (haha just kidding nobody wants to keep up with this bullshit)" is an improvement.

These changes apply to bad guys and players across the board, so I only really see your point if it's that making combat less tedious and samey lends it greater appeal. It's still just as deadly for everyone involved. Understand that I'm talking about JUST combat rules, since the BC character minmaxing and more complicated (from what I understand; I haven't played one yet) psyker rules aren't ideal.

Different strokes and I get your concern about making combat seem like a viable way to deal with problems, especially in certain kinds of games; I just don't think the BC rules do that when divorced from the way BC characters are built.

ed: I guess you might have a problem with the 1d5 crit system as opposed to being able to potentially do a stupid amount of damage, and I could really go either way for preference on that one

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 19, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Good morning guys, thanks for :spergin: out about how BC rules own so I didn't have to.

Liesmith posted:

The scum should get free food from dumpster diving in the mutant tunnels

If a scum player isn't at least casually stealing things every session, I don't even know what could be wrong with them. That's not even getting into stuff like forging requisition papers to get some flak armor or whatever. As agents of the Inquisition, acolytes totally have a license to ill (even though they won't get pulled out of the fire at all if they get caught) for the greater good glory of the Imperium.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

We do some alright investigation and stuff, but it ranges from horror to comedy to Commissar Cain holovid. We've been playing together in the setting for 5+ years, so we're pretty inured to spaceships made of skulls and whatnot. It's mostly just escalating humorous disbelief and terror at how incredibly awful situations get, and then trying to scrape out of them with grand actions that are less heroic and more desperate.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

kingcom posted:

Do you run any sort of continuous campaign or is it just kind of a wacky misadventures to next scenario situation?

We've had several, and they're all "continuing" campaigns; we haven't been playing the same campaign for years on end, if that's what you mean. The longer of these games go for about 6 months to a year. I've been in one game in my entire life that actually had an ending, and I'm pretty much cool with that. Sometimes we'll just show up to play and be like, "Hey guys who wants to drop D&D and start playing Wraith??? OKAY!"

Dark Heresy gave us, among other things, a Dirty Dozen style game in which our group was an expendable Imperial Guard squad of gently caress-ups who got tapped by an Inquisitor to take care of her goals in active war zones that we just happened to be fighting in. If Only War is good, I may pitch going back to that story with the new system.

We've had a lot of Rogue Trader games, but they never seem to go for very long for some reason. That's what we're playing right now, but we're specifically being less sandboxy by being down on our luck and having a lovely ship that isn't even warp capable (I'm a pirate captain, not actually a rogue trader at all despite the class) in hopes that the lack of infinite freedom will help give it some focus.

Deathwatch is super fun for a couple months before being a superman who can't do normal stuff gets old.

We only did Black Crusade once, and it was pretty satisfying. We played DH characters at first, then remade them as BC characters after being sufficiently corrupted (the guys who wanted to play Space Marines just dropped their original human characters).

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah because it's Space Magic they don't really have to retain any kind of human shape to act as a gateway. It's more their "soul" being used as a bridge than their body, so you can do whatever with it. They could just be ripped apart and have a rift into the warp left where they were standing. I like the "living doorframe" idea though, so you should prob just do that.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I know you said you didn't want to do xenos (presumably because you don't want to shift attention from the main antagonists with super crazy stuff?), but any given underhive can have its own unique ecology of monsters to the point where you can pretty much make wacky poo poo up. The PCs come across a giant spider web! What the gently caress! Barnacles that latch onto people! Ripperjack swarm!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Holy poo poo, what page is that on?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Liesmith posted:

Turns out all the Ultramarine successor chapters came from one of the lost primarchs. Guy named Sigmar. yeah, you heard me. The Fantasy Planet is in the Eye of Terror. I don't care what anyone says. Deal with it.

I legit always thought this was undisputed. And even if it is on a shaky foundation, who cares, it's silly and crossover-friendly enough to where it should be true.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

There's more gradient to it than is readily apparent, since you can use the BC rules to make weapons with drawbacks or quirks. I'm playing a really poor Rogue Trader right now who was desperate for an inferno pistol, so I jumped at the chance when my GM offered an Orky one that has a magazine size of one and absolutely must release a flamer-sized gout of fire during the next round or it'll explode and probably kill him.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 8, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm the Rogue Trader in a current game, and I lead by delegation. Like, I hired my Arch Militants for a reason, why would I presume to know more than them about tactics? For less class specific stuff, we discuss out of play what we should do, and then I throw around those agreed-upon orders in-character.

It's not a big deal as long as everyone knows that "the boss" is really just another role you're playing, just like everything else you're only pretending to do.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

You could GMPC and it'd probably work fine, but I'd be reluctant to since being the freest kind of person in the entire Imperium is a big part of what makes RT unique. You could preserve that by just having an absentee RT who just chills in his pleasure room and gives his officers free reign, but eh.

Can you straight up thrust the role upon someone? I'm usually not interested in a leader role in games, but that's maybe part of why my captaincy has gone well.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hordes are great opportunities for players to use the oh poo poo weapons and tactics they usually hold in reserve. You should never understate how dangerous and scary a horde is and risk letting your players think it's acceptable to do anything less than freak out and use everything at their disposal. If you don't want the horde to be the biggest threat on the battlefield, you should just fluff it or use a couple of orks instead.

For a massive battle, I don't see any reason the players' rolls need to affect it at all, unless the characters are straight up commanding troops. Is it more interesting and likely that the larger battle is won or lost? Do that one, and keep your attention on making sure the players' stuff is cool rather than crunching numbers on what NPCs are doing.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hey, my group and I have put together an XP chart for all the different classes in Only War. It's pretty helpful if you just have your phone or laptop or whatever, since it shows the default costs for attributes, skills, and talents based on any given class's aptitudes. Of course, you'd have to adjust if your Regiment gives any kind of additional aptitudes, but that's not too big a deal. This is editable in case my hasty proofreading has missed anything. I of course have a backup copy in case people gently caress it up for some reason, and you can let me know if there are some corrections I need to make (specifically, I'm not sure about the prerequisites, since I only skimmed those).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahv2w1fHiN1CdDNybS1JQXllTmFKOG5IY1BSV3pud1E&usp=sharing

ed: whoops, looks like I left a couple of our custom guys in there; I'll delete those tabs tomorrow

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 30, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Pretty sure it does, +1 per hit. So bolters are great, and in a pinch a SM can just drop a frag at his feet and not really worry about damage.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Burning a fate point is license for the DM to do whatever short of death or, unless you're a dick, brain damage. Take the arm.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Dirty_Moses posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. What I mean though is how do I roleplay, as the GM, the Tau to the players to make them more threatening?

Serious answer:

The Tau have crazy advanced tech in a lot of ways, so your killteam might come across traps and stuff they just don't understand. If you want to go more subtle with it, the scariest thing about a Tau to a YES BROTHER marine is probably how reasonable they can be. Your killteam might run into humans who the Tau have straight-up assisted with no obvious tradeoff, Tau who want to parlay, etc. I think that's probably the way to go with it because, while they make for a really effective conventional shooting military, the Tau are the least physically intimidating main enemy in 40k.

You could add some Kroot, though; they can be pretty intimidating. poo poo, they're space marines, throw a greater knarloc at them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Also I don't know if the Tau have anything like this already statted, but a Tau sniper team with the pulse equivalent of a long las would be dangerous as hell. You could make that into a neat encounter that's less about killing power and more about just finding the little bastard and closing on him without getting shot or letting him relocate.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Base attack is +10, so with an aim action you get +20 and a full aim gives you +30;

Semi-Auto gives you a -10 malus to hit, Full Auto is -20 (counting from the base +10). This is to make people make a choice between extra potential damage or precision;

No offense, but I just want to reword this part because I think the way you said it is a little bit confusing.

Single attack gives +10, Semi-auto/Swift Attack has no modifier, and Full Auto/Lightning Attack gives -10.

Aiming for a half round gives +10; devoting a full round to aiming is +20. You can aim any attack.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

kingcom posted:

The point is your not supposed to boss people around for the sake of bossing people around. Your job as a Rogue Trader is to be a leader. In Star Trek for example, Picard doesn't just order people to do random stuff. He goes to Data and asks 'whats the problem and how do you think we should solve it?' He then orders Data to go implement that solution. The expert is still following orders but in reality is just acting out what they already think they should do.

Picard is basically the best model for a RT captain's command style unless you're playing an inept one for laughs. The RT is probably best as a competent melee fighter and a loving social wrecking ball in one.

ed: As we've talked about earlier in the thread, a Rogue Trader's best job is to be the final word on what "the plan" is after the whole party has discussed their various ideas. He's also the signal to the GM that, "We're done talking, Steve the Archmilitant's plan is the one we're going with," which helps immensely in keeping the game moving.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 25, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, I've heard stuff like that too. It makes sense because unlike, for example, Blood Angels, Ultramarine successor chapters are mostly still bros, coordinate joint operations, and use the same playbook. Plus it's not unheard of, since those Space Wolf fuckers never divided themselves up anyway.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Maybe explain to them, or their PC comissar if they have one, in a tactful way that guardsmen aren't really meant to retreat in the face of an enemy.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm very interested in the new rof rules, but want to hold out for the physical copy. Can anyone who got the beta summarize them?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah or, in the case of my group, the gun that Ciaphas Cain used in the latest vid that's TOTALLY a faithful recreation of what happened at the battle of Tau Gulch.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

How many actions does it take to suppress, and how do the new rof rules affect it?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Re suppression: Yeah, that's dumb as hell. Our group is super into suppression, since it's a really helpful thing for melee or less combative types to do when appropriate.

Man, Only War can be loving intense. We were tasked with assaulting a government building in the middle of a massive courtyard (like, 300m of open ground), so we relied on some less than reliable artillery fire to keep us from getting iced by sniper fire. We managed to make it, and now we're about to fight our way up five floors of at least fifty insurgents. Time to slice some fuckin pies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Exactly! It's not a milsim or anything, but my guardsman won't charge an ork boss in single combat the way my rogue trader would. Constantly. While shouting about how e's the toughest.

We actually use a battle map in OW and I've built my character around flanking, which wouldn't happen in most other lines.