Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, I loving love this universe. My kill-team, while attempting to coerce local human guerillas to join the imperium on a war world fighting chaos and rakshasa (homebrew enemy), we got to do their space drugs and see the past of the planet, a past their psyker thought we needed to see to understand what had transpired.

..And what do we see but the loving old ones evacuating the planet through a webway-ish gate, before getting jumped by a bloodletter. I almost had an epicgasm, tell you what :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Is Bearak Obama in Residence bad form in your group? Become possessed by a minor daemon of Tzeentch ;)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Slightly OT perhaps, but: Any of you long-time members of Dark Reign? I find that they somewhere in the last couple of months changed forums layout, and now I get a ream of notification emails for everything I ever wrote in, in there. The kicker is, the email I'm supposed to contact for getting notifications turned off, doesn't work.

How do I stop the grimdark spamocalypse? :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

Feudal world arbitrators get to start with plate shirts, don't they? I'd rock that :black101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Considering that the UK is the birthplace of games workshop, I'd assume there is a lot of players? I know of at least a couple of groups here in Denmark, so why not the UK?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Secutors are the best thing, just because they get to irradiate people to death.

What! How?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

I might be able to come up was more fluff details later.
Some Munitorum adept did the math and decided the cost/benefit of this unit was pretty good, there was a niche they filled. Um, they're Ogryn. They're cyborg Ogryn; nobody trusts them and they don't know what the hell the Munitorum was thinking. They're also in short supply; discount is a relative term, especially when talking about in comparison to Space Marines.

This is ingenious and you should be proud of yourself!

I'm thinking siege breakers. If you have a planet stuck in trench warfare and your regiments can't hack the opposition, they're your grenadiers! Goatface's option sounds really grimdark, too, I'd love to try something like that.

Hilarity option: Infiltrate behind ork lines as partisans. Throw in a magos xenobiologikus who explains that as long as they paint themselves green, they're good to go, some crudely painted boltguns and bob's your uncle!

Tias
May 25, 2008

I seem to recall from the DW campaign I was in that the techmarine absolutely owned everything in close combat because he had some sort of servo-claw that tore rear end.

E: Beaten like the infortune xenos battlesuit he pulped with the thing

Tias fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 25, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Werix posted:

I want to see you run this, only so I can play as the overly racist anti-mutant priest that gets attached to this squad by a much more liberal/heretical higher up than him to see if it is possible to enlighten the augmented Ogryn to really recognize and worship the Emperor.

Ogryns are actually some of the most devoted members of the Imperial Creed alive. Their faith is described as "unshakable" and practiced with "child-liked" devotion. They believe the Emperor watch over their every move on the battlefield, and their reputation for savagery and insane/retarded heroics are actually derived from them not wanting to let big daddy in the sky down. It's pretty adorable, if not for the wanton slaughter and unnatural strength!

Fake edit: They think any order given to them is handed down from the Emperor in person, due to an extremely literal interpretation of the chain of command :3:

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's from canon sources, but discard at your leisure. Keep in mind that the above goes primarily for un-augmented ogryns, they are simple as gently caress in all respects.

Heh, this takes me back to playing the Space Hulk computer game as a kid, and having my mind blown when the captain informed me that the Emperor had dictated my squads weaponry. Busy, that guy!

Tias
May 25, 2008

If they love loving cards everywhere.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I could definitely get behind Outlaw Scumfuck: The Ogryning!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Werix posted:

I'm thinking more Andrew Ryan:

I got this wrong and thought it was that douche who ran for vice. "If it's a legitimate heresy, the Imperium has ways of shutting that whole thing down!"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fate Points is IMO a fine solution. I use a dice roller or screen to hide my rolls, and fudge anything that would end the game in a boring or too premature fashion. The discussion of fudging is a whole other discussion, but I'd encourage the fate points for this case.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, got stars of inequity, and am dicking around with making a human Voidfarer system. I elected to just make the planets, and then "colonized" the ones that would up habitable. I was ready to fudge the rolls, but got reasonably lucky: One decent life-supporting world shock full of minerals that I decided was originally colonized, one full of frozen water with pure atmosphere, that could get water for another that was without life or water, and yet another one with liquid water and a decent atmosphere. I think the rules about minerals and such are really hard to understand, and I just wanted to air my notes here, to see if you think I did it right (fudged rolls and picked territories notwithstanding, I know that is GM fiat):

quote:

Porvenir I
Large, G: Terran Standard, 1 lesser moon (radioactive minerals, sustainable). Atmosphere: Moderate, Pure. Climate: Temperate. Limited Ecosystem. 1 Pangaea continent.
5 territories: wasteland: expansive, wasteland:unusual location, extreme cold, desolate, wasteland: unusual location, swamp:unusual species, plains.notable species.
5 resources: sustainable, major, significant, significant, significant.
Additional: Archeotech Cache, Minerals: Industrial Metals, limited.
Notable Species: Hidden Death.
(lack landmarks)

Porvenir II
Small. G: Low. 1 lesser moon (N/A). Atmosfære: Moderate, Pure. Climate:Cold World. Climate: Trapped Water. 2 continents, severed by frozen seas. 1 territory: frozen Wastelands, with extreme temperature trait. 1 Resource: (Radioactive minerals, sustainable)
(no landmarks)

Porvenir III
Small. G: Normal. 1 lesser moon (sustainable, radioactive minerals). Atmosfære: Moderate, Tainted. Climate: Hot World, Liquid Water. 3 continents, severed the Cleaving Sea. 1 territory: Tropisk Sump: Expansive. 3 resources: minimal, minimal, minimal.
Notable Species: None.
(lack landmarks)

Porvenir IV
Large. G: High. Atmosfære: Moderate, Toxic. Climate: Cold World, Inhospitable. 1 pangaea kontinent:
4 territories: wasteland, wasteland, plains: Fertile, wasteland.
2 resources: limited, limited. Add, resources: Yu’Vath ruins.
(lack landmarks)

Porvenir V
Gas Giant. G: Strong. Lesser Moon (Industrial Metal, Limited).

E: Couple of untranslated words :downs: stor = large, lille = small, Atmosfære = Atmosphere.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 3, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Should be mostly fixed, now.

It seems I also need to roll a percentile for the abundance or minerals or something? How does that work?

Tias
May 25, 2008

One might argue that it afflicts Skaven differently, as they were made with it and share an affinity with it. Thanquol seems to get -really- high and delight in the visions of bloodshed and genocide bubbling through his head, and even he sometimes nearly loses control of the power. To a regular joe, such an ordeal would definitely cause pants-making GBS threads terror, and likely also devolution into a mindless chaos spawn.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

1d100 for most resources unless they're a special case or they get a bonus from something.

Is this only for regular resources? Where and how does the "Minimal, Sustainable, Major" scale come into play?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks, it's right there on the page. Sorry :doh:

E: Okay, let me see if I get this. I roll for number of resources, get 4. Do I then roll on "additional resources" to see what type they each are? Or do I just assume they're four non-specific resources, assign each a d100 value, and then roll for what additional resources there are?

E E: No! I roll for what kind of MINERAL resources they are, before then seeing if there are additional resources? Right?

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

So our tabletop Rogue Trader game kicked off today. I'm Captain Viktar Holostenko, ready to win back glory and thrones to the family name!

What happened:

- Some weird rear end frontier man/woman (we couldn't agree) sleazed his/her way onto my ship and has boned the Seneschal for nearly four weeks straight.
- The 'dragon ore' I bought, a key component in titan-grade construction, was a lot less pure than the poo poo they showed us planetside.
- Chasing a lost ship (Endeavour), had my jump into an asteroid field and a neutron star bursting radiation like cray-cray, and three pirate raiders were waiting there to ruin my poo poo.

It's my first day, but holy poo poo it's hard being a RT.

Tias
May 25, 2008

My favorite compensation is the fact that a powerful enough telekine astropath can catch and stop opposing weapons fire in mid-flight. Needs a helluva lot of successes, but it's in there :black101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, next session starts with my being ambushed by three other ships. What do I need to know about ship combat?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I have boarding torpedoes and extremely high speed, but lovely armour.

Tias
May 25, 2008

On the subject of squats and the warp..

Lexicanum entry posted:

Squat technology is based upon the heavy mining equipment they brought with them to the Homeworlds. During their isolation from the rest of humanity they adapted it for other uses, notably exo-armour which was engineered from heavy mining suits. Squats continued to innovate and invent while humanity sank into a Dark Age. As a result, the Squats have developed technologies such as neo-plasma and warp cores far in advance of anything the Imperium owns. Some Squat technologies were absorbed into the Imperium, especially tunnelling vehicles and weaponry such as the Termite.

Either their hyper-advanced warp cores let them move without the astronomican (doubtful or factions within the Imperium would have slaughtered then and reverse-engineered the process), or they contract their own members of the Navis, or perhaps have squat, cozy navigaters of their own :3:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So my (Fortune-oriented) Rogue Trader set up a meta-endeavour with the weird she-male from my last post, shipping slaves between two worlds while I go do more heroic stuff. Rolled 7 degrees, seems straight-forward right?

..Except my socially challenged astropath suddenly blabs about our "human resources side job" while my prideful ex-freedom fighter voidmaster happens to hear.

So I cut him off and talked about how we were setting up guided tours for the pilgrims to holy sites, bring your family sort of thing.

..I'm going to grimdark hell when I die :sigh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, blow it up. Be in debt to the other rogue traders, find other foes to blow it off = penance and profit.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just want to share an awesome game of DH with you, as the whole navy chat reminded me:

We deployed to a planet where we had to go to the islands we fought on via submarine. So up shows a NAVY COMMISSAR (blue flakcoat and all), and orders our stupid asses into the sinky crate.

Fun events were had by all, like when the GM suddenly screamed horribly to imitate an old submarine klaxon, then informed us that we were under attack by "Xenos, Kraken Majoris-class" creatures. Also, running out of food, and having to kill our original sergeant with injected air to eat his flesh (NAVY COMMISSARIAT REGULATIONS!).

That was all sorts of crazy.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

For those interested in a renegade (but not chaotic) chapter being forced to confront supply concerns, the Soul Drinker books have a good bit of that. They basically go rogue, have to commandeer a space hulk as their new headquarters, and go,"fuuuuuuck where are we gonna get replacement parts and ammunition?"

It doesn't touch that much on supply concerns, but it does have some interesting questions on the subject of marine creation: For instance, they get into a fight about whether to include hypno-indoctrination about the Emperor and Imperium in new recruits if memory serves me right.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sour Blossom posted:

Rogue Traders can make the decision to carry out Exterminatus as long as it's not on a planet within the Imperium, of course. Newly discovered colony of mankind that the RT decides is heretical(or just refused to pay bribes when demanded)? Hope your cities have Hive-level void shields and anti-orbital weapons, particularly if the orbiting Warrant holder has the House fleet with him.

Besides, sometimes it's easier to wipe out the previous occupants and start afresh, especially if the residents were demanding fair and equal representation and distribution of the wealth exploiting their planet would bring.

As my Bolt Thrower rip off band once put it in a song title: "Free speech is heresy unto the immortal God-Emperor of Man"

Tias
May 25, 2008

You may find it has already been looted :orks:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm reading Disciples again, the part about the Pale Throng (which reads a lot like Mutant Nation of Islam second time around!), and I'm thinking about doing a mutant cult plot..

..Anyone good good ideas for mutations that could help middle/upper-class mutants pass for regular humans? I'd like a fresh take, where the mutation is coming from inside the noble houses.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Holy poo poo, it's rare that a link title delivers, but that one sure did :stonk:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, this stuff is pretty good for plot on the fly, Asehujiko!

E: Thought I'd share a little something I wrote for cyberpunk, but which may have utility here too, have tried to edit it to be 40k-appropriate.

Gang generator:

Gang Name (1d5):
1 - Composite. Two words, often describing the gangs methods or coming off intimidating ("Plasteel Shivs", "Icon Robbers")
2 - Familial. Often the case for gangs who draw their members from the same (usually urban area), are all related by blood or serve a particular patron ("Lord Havelocks Murder Dogs" "Hive Primus Steel Lords"
3 - Legitimate Veneer. Attempts to name the group as something that sounds like a legitimate business. ("Havelock Security Services", "Icon Retrieval Group").
4 - Trangressive. Something that plays on a local taboo or otherwise sounds as intimidating as possible. ("Khornes Bloodletters", "Murderjunkies")
5 - Spiritual Veneer. As with legitimate veneer, but does not necessarily have the intent to sound legitimate as to claim supernatural power. ("Emperors Gunjacks, "Great Spirit Ratskins")

Gang Purpose (1d10):
1-2 - Rage gang. Also known as "thrill killers", these scum assemble for the rush of pummeling, torturing and murdering others. While they may become wealthy off murder contracts or robbing their victims, their primary purpose is the joy of spilling blood. A variant is the Death Cult, holy terrors who believe their fetish is spiritually ordained.
3-4 - Scummers. Bereft of a better plan, this common gang type claims turf by force, wring citizens for cash and fight other gangs for the spoils of the area.
5-7 - Chrome Gang. Also known as bionic- or cyber-gangs, these soldiers are addicted to the cybernetic augmentation process for the power or sensation it gives, and commit crimes to replace themselves with steel and electronics. Sometimes sponsored by a tech-priest or even rogue heretek elements.
8 - Wiz-Gang. Having sorcerous or psychic talent in one or more members, this gang tries to accumulate more psychic talents and training for their 'gifted' members. Unfortunately, this makes them both erratic and highly dangerous to their surroundings, and some are even under the thumb of daemonic entities!
9 - Chemmers. These gangs are deep in the drug trade, and will likely have members who indulge themselves in all manner of stimulants. Connected to both chem manufacturers and scores of desperate addicts, chemmers can muster a lot of assets on a good day.
10 - Outcasts. Whether heretics, traitors, mutants or scavvies, these guys can't go home. As an alternative to the draconian justice awaiting them, they gather to commit crimes to survive.

Quirks, 2d10 (optional, roll as much as you want):
2 - Inquisitor links. However the relationship works in practice, an inquisitor has a working relationship with them.
3 - 'Toos. Group members are extremely easy to recognize thanks to an affinity for covering their limbs, torsos and even heads in electoos or primitive tattoos.
4 - Skilled marksmen. The group has one or more extremely gifted shooters (BS 60+), and may have decked them out with special sensors, scoped or long ranged weapons to take advantage of the fact.
5 - Super Mutant! The gang has one or more mutant members whose deformity is actually a great advantage, such as being a twist-brute or having fully functional wings.
6 - Superstitious. The gang has genuine belief in either the God-Emperor or another entity (hive spirits, chaos gods etc.), and will avoid breaking the strictures and taboos of their faith.
7 - Gearheads. The group has mechanics and pilots enough to pose a serious threat to others, riding ground APCs, bikes or even walkers or planes into battle!
8 - Cutters. The gang has a thing for blades, and will prefer to use monoswords, -knives or polearms in close combat.
9 - Bashers. The gang has a thing for blunt instruments, and will use great mauls, clubs and power mauls in close combat.
10 - Chaotic infestation. The gang has spiritual rot in their midst, a member sacrificing victims to the dark gods, or carrying an item or a person host to a daemon!
11 - Bad Genes. One or more members are genestealer hybrids, and will turn the gang into a host for a full scale ‘stealer cult if given the chance.
12 - Bomb Squad. The gang has proficiency with demolition, loves to blow things up or, in the worst case, both. The group will respond to enemies by planting massive bombs, perhaps even in public areas.
13 - Xenos links. The gang has had contact with aliens, and, in the worst case, bartered with them for weapons and gear. High-level gangers may sport shuriken guns, Slaugh fusils or something even worse.
14 - Ostentatious Displays. The gang believes in displaying their success in as vulgar manner as they can, and individual members carry garish jewelry, smokes expensive nicomoss cigars or plate their rides in chrome.
15 - Working class. The gangers are all employed in local businesses in their off time, meaning they can very easily blend in with civilians if they’re not wearing gang colours.
16 - Insane Leadership. The gang leader, and perhaps also his lieutenants, have too many insanity points for comfort, and may direct the gang in ways that are simply not rational, such as finding a sheep on a death world or finding a space marine chapter to fight.
17 - PDF/Guard ties. The gang consists of demobilized PDF, Imp. Guard or local enforcer troops, and thus has knowledge of military tactics, and may even have access to surplus equipment or weapons!
18 - Foreigners/Natives - The gang stands apart from the society it is located in, because the members come from another continent/hive/planet. Or, on the flipside, it may consist of native humans that lived in the area before Imperial colonization (for a good example of this, see ratskins in Necromunda).
19-20 - Membership exclusion. A common trait, this gang discriminates on some arbitrary criteria when recruiting. This means that all members will conform to some standard, a good example is House Escher, who only admits women as members.

I hope some of you can use it :)

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 18, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, darn. Math never was my strong suit :ohdear:

Would doing it like so be better?

quote:

Advantages and Quirks, 1d20 (optional, roll as much as you want):
1 - Dirty. The gang is actually a corps of lawmen working undercover.
2 - Inquisitor links. However the relationship works in practice, an inquisitor has a working relationship with them.
3 - 'Toos. Group members are extremely easy to recognize thanks to an affinity for covering their limbs, torsos and even heads in electoos or primitive tattoos.
4 - Skilled marksmen. The group has one or more extremely gifted shooters (BS 60+), and may have decked them out with special sensors, scoped or long ranged weapons to take advantage of the fact.
5 - Super Mutant! The gang has one or more mutant members whose deformity is actually a great advantage, such as being a twist-brute or having fully functional wings.
6 - Superstitious. The gang has genuine belief in either the God-Emperor or another entity (hive spirits, chaos gods etc.), and will avoid breaking the strictures and taboos of their faith.
7 - Gearheads. The group has mechanics and pilots enough to pose a serious threat to others, riding ground APCs, bikes or even walkers or planes into battle!
8 - Cutters. The gang has a thing for blades, and will prefer to use monoswords, -knives or polearms in close combat.
9 - Bashers. The gang has a thing for blunt instruments, and will use great mauls, clubs and power mauls in close combat.
10 - Chaotic infestation. The gang has spiritual rot in their midst, a member sacrificing victims to the dark gods, or carrying an item or a person host to a daemon!
11 - Bad Genes. One or more members are genestealer hybrids, and will turn the gang into a host for a full scale ‘stealer cult if given the chance.
12 - Bomb Squad. The gang has proficiency with demolition, loves to blow things up or, in the worst case, both. The group will respond to enemies by planting massive bombs, perhaps even in public areas.
13 - Xenos links. The gang has had contact with aliens, and, in the worst case, bartered with them for weapons and gear. High-level gangers may sport shuriken guns, Slaugh fusils or something even worse.
14 - Ostentatious Displays. The gang believes in displaying their success in as vulgar manner as they can, and individual members carry garish jewelry, smokes expensive nicomoss cigars or plate their rides in chrome.
15 - Working class. The gangers are all employed in local businesses in their off time, meaning they can very easily blend in with civilians if they’re not wearing gang colours.
16 - Insane Leadership. The gang leader, and perhaps also his lieutenants, have too many insanity points for comfort, and may direct the gang in ways that are simply not rational, such as finding a sheep on a death world or finding a space marine chapter to fight.
17 - PDF/Guard ties. The gang consists of demobilized PDF, Imp. Guard or local enforcer troops, and thus has knowledge of military tactics, and may even have access to surplus equipment or weapons!
18 - Foreigners/Natives - The gang stands apart from the society it is located in, because the members come from another continent/hive/planet. Or, on the flipside, it may consist of native humans that lived in the area before Imperial colonization (for a good example of this, see ratskins in Necromunda).
19-20 - Membership exclusion. A common trait, this gang discriminates on some arbitrary criteria when recruiting. This means that all members will conform to some standard, a good example is House Escher, who only admits women as members.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I've had them games, but it's more to do with new players not understanding chaos, and unless you for some reason really want to indulge in sheep pedo play, feel free to instruct your players that they've gone off the wrong end and suggest some other things to do - it is your prerogative as a GM, after all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, I may have conned myself into some rogue trader GM'ing.. Are there any places one can get "clean" starmaps? Like, charts over a sub-sector, in which one can overlay planets and astronomical phenomena of ones own design?

Tias
May 25, 2008

No, I was thinking something more space-like, like the Koronus Expanse map, but less cluttered.

Tias
May 25, 2008

We prefer the term "Dustkin" :colbert:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Waci posted:

Ascension. There's no game of it running and everyone wants to play it but nobody wants to actually run it because they're cowards.

Ascension can be pretty fun, agreed. I played a famulous protege/spyrer assassin, which was all kinds of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm not big on RT, so I could be wrong, but I -think- Scholastic Lore: Astromancy (or maybe Navigate (Stellar or Warp) ) lets you determine (at least enough to not jump into a star) where you can find a system, and from then you can go there and see if there's any planets or other interesting salvage in it.