Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Why is everyone in this thread so wrong. S.J., you're the ork guy, explain to everyone how it's a matter of genetics. Genetics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
They're actually not that different really, just everyone is kinda-sorta a Librarian and they have some fancier gear, and a few nifty things for killing daemons I suppose. So, whatever would challenge a Space Marine would challenge a Grey Knight too, probably.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Anyway, I do need some idea of how many captive psykers should be involved. In the hundreds? Thousands?

Well, it depends on how long this Black Ship in particular has been out in this sector, and how close they are to reaching their psyker-quota, but I would say at the very least a few thousand, perhaps even hundreds of thousands. I mean, I don't know the exact numbers or anything, but considering once they get back to Terra they'll be sacrificing a thousand of these pskyers daily, I'd imagine they probably like to come back with more than a few days worth.

Of course, that's just my opinion, so do take it with a grain of salt and all that. This sounds like a pretty cool game, by the way, I hope it goes well. :)

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

YamiB. posted:

I've been running a game of Rogue Trader lately and been having a good time with it. I thought it would be good to bring an issue I've been having here for some advice. So far my players have been breezing through combat, I'm not sure if I'm making enemies that are too weak or screwing up the combat rules somehow.

Well, to be honest, if you want to make things difficult I find that having multiple enemies rather than one big one makes things more challenging, but that said, for solo encounters such as this you'll definitely want to pump up its wounds and armor as well as give it some better offensive capabilities.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Liesmith posted:

so wait, in order to fight a Lord of Change you are gonna make a pskyer baby out of wizard powers? yeah, that's gonna go bad faster than you can say "Just according to keikaku"

* keikaku means plan.

That said, yeah, this doesn't seem like the greatest idea out there. I mean, I suppose as a sufficiently powerful psyker you could do that, but I can't imagine how hosed up a baby born primarily from psychic powers would be.

That said, yeah sure, give it shot.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Kortel posted:

Situation is litterally our group's rogue trader, one of the arch-militants and a small group of troops are going to get vented into space. They never wear void suits and never sit strapped in. No warning, just in middle of a conversation they get vented out the hold of my shuttle. None the wiser. Our party is mutinying the PC Rogue Trader and his best bud.

So uh, I don't mean to pry or anything, but why? Forgive me if you've already posted about this before, but I'm just a bit curious why you guys have decided to murder 2 of your fellow party members is all.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Liesmith posted:

Hostile Acquisitions even has an eldar grav platform for all your eldar artillery needs

You might even call it Eld-Artillery :downsrim:
I'm so sorry.

But yeah, Hostile Acquisitions has a lot of Eldar weapons, as well as some additional classes for pirate-type RT games. It's pretty cool.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

Combat shotguns absolutely wreck anything that doesn't have much in the way of armor.

The second something pops out the Unnatural Toughness or something carapace-armor grade, captain von shotgunhaver goes to poo poo in a hurry.

I can attest to this. Armor is the best counter to shotguns, for sure.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Laundreu posted:

I've never played Dark Heresy and would likely not play a psyker if I did (I like my head right where it is, thank you), but what is wrong with biomancy? It sounds cool.

Seal Wounds.

No, really. That one spell is the single, biggest, most glaring issue with Biomancy, as it bascially means that combat is a non-issue, because no matter how badly you're hurt, so long as you didn't die/lose a limb, you can just recover from it in one or two uses of it. Honestly, most of the Biomancy powers are pretty tame, I'd be fine with people using Biomancy, just so long as they don't take Seal Wounds.

Edit \/\/\/: And that is a very wise decision.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 14, 2012

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

And here we see the second best Chaos God making an appearance :neckbeard:

Oh (Chaos) gods dammit, Slaanesh is gonna be last again, isn't it? Why does Not-Bacchus always get the short end of the stick.

Why? :smith:

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

So I'm actually having a little trouble trying to think of how a tech priest is going to be useful during combat. His skills aren't bad, but it doesn't seem like he has a lot of talents that lend themselves to being useful in combat.

Well, which system are we talking about? I'm guessing it's not Only War/Black Crusade, but if it is, the easy answer is to buy stuff that's good in combat! If it's DH, then I can tell you from personal experience that Tech-Priests are plenty good in combat, both melee and ranged. Blademaster and Swift Attack at Rank 5 or so makes a huge difference when it comes to melee viability, and if you're worried about a lack of shooty-talents, going for Secutor (Which is in the Inquisitor's Handbook, should you have that) at Rank 4 should resolve any of those worries handily.

Edit: Really though, in most 40k systems you don't need talents to be good at ranged combat. Having a good BS and a good gun (And the talents to use it.) is generally all you need to be useful, at the very least.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 18, 2013

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, I mean, the simple solution is to remind your players that they're going to be carrying giant, person-sized shields everywhere they go. I mean, they're good and all, but they're not exactly inconspicuous, and you're probably not going to be let into any kind of establishment with a giant, person-sized shield on your back. Also, don't suppression shields take up a hand? If so, only pistols unless they've got a way of getting around that. I mean, they're really good and all, but they're not totally without downside. Also, the AP they give might be primitive, so it would be halved if you're using basic RT rules, as opposed to BC/OW.

That said, shields have always been a bit iffy, so if you need to tone them down I guess I couldn't blame you.

Edit \/\/\/: By the way, if you haven't looked at the Errata, you probably should. They do tend to have a lot of nice tweaks in there, like to the aforementioned hellguns. I doubt they'll have anything for the suppression shields, but, well, it would still be good to look at for other stuff.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 26, 2013

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

Crit damage on individual body parts stack. If you have a one point crit to the body, another two point crit to the body will make a three point crit. A two point crit to the leg will just be a two point crit. Honestly though, just let your monsters die if they're injured enough to be ineffective.

I'm pretty sure crit damage just works like normal damage, actually, in that it's a pool. So say you hit someone and do 2 crit damage to their body, and then hit them in the leg and deal 3 damage, you'd instead go to the 5 crit entry, rather than the 3, since it's cumulative for the entire body, rather than the individual limbs. At least, that's how I've always seen it done.

But yeah, just think of crit damage kind of like wounds, SUPER NEAT TOY. It doesn't go away after each attack, it sticks around and get worse.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, first and foremost, you do have the right idea about how penetration works. It's on a per-shot basis, and doesn't permanently reduce anything.

As for repair cement, it's more of a fluff thing for the most part, since it doesn't necessarily have a mechanical benefit. Though, if you're, say, on a depressurized space hulk with no oxygen nor atmosphere, or you're in an otherwise hostile environment in which it would be good to have an air-tight suit, and your armor gets penetrated by an attack, that's generally (in my mind) when repair cement would be most helpful.

Edit: Apparently I am dumb and there are actual rules for breaching armor! It's a good thing there are competent people around that have actually read these books. :v:

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 8, 2013

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, if it helps, from what I understand the majority of the Necrons still are soulless, personality bereft drones that simply kill things and take orders. The standard warriors are essentially the same, Immortals have a tiny bit of themselves left, just enough to order around the lessers, but no emotions or anything. So, for the most part the only dudes/dudettes with that despicable capability for sass are the Lords and I think the Necrotechs or whatever. The science dudes. You know, those guys.

Anyway, yeah. For the most part, they are still an unreasoning horde that's gonna kill everything they see and silently wander off. It's just now there's a slightly (slightly) more reasonable and much more sassy and insane robo-king ordering them around.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Though, to be fair, I believe you're calculating the damage wrong, unless I missed something. I believe doombolt would only be doing 1d10+9 damage in this instance, since your Psy rating is effectively 9. Also, don't forget that Focus Power tests always fail on a 91-00, so even with 100+ WP there's basically always a not inconsiderable chance to fail. AAAAALSO, Pushing for +5 does mean they you're rolling on the Phenomena Chart at a +25, which makes it not unlikely you'll get a Peril, even with the reroll. And considering a CSM bolter hits for 1d10+9 Pen 4 with Tearing and doesn't have a decent chance of loving you up pretty severely, it's really not that broken. :v:

That said, I full endorse getting Bolt of Change and murdering everything ever, before you explode horribly.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
One thing that should be noted about the Black Templars is that, in the latest update to the Space Marine codex, GW has actually toned down their rabid hatred of psykers. Now, at least if you wish to incorporate said new fluff, they actually have a great deal of respect for Astropaths and Navigators, as they have communed with the Big E and guide them through the Warp so they can do their whole "space crusade" thing respectively. :eng101:

So they're slightly less crazy about murdering ALL the psykers, though they don't employ any Librarians because they just assume that if the Emperor wanted them to have psykers in their ranks, he would make it happen! They still hate the hell out of rogue psykers though.