Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WAR FOOT posted:

My usual group is pushing me to run either Dark Heresy or Black Crusade. Given that one of the players wants Black Crusade so they can play a half-daemon, I'm leaning to Dark Heresy. Any suggestions for running either? I've heard the combat is brutal and unforgiving, and if you have a group that tends to rush into things they will all likely die.

The combat is brutal, and honestly you don't do the IP justice if you softball it too much. When you are running something, you will probably have a number of fights over a few sessions until you end in the confrontation with the big bad. The players should have enough Fate Points to cover them for any potential fatalities that may happen here.

However during the end sequence for your arc do not hesitate to kill someone here. (Though you may want to potentially postpone it for the right moment.) You can then have the unfortunate soul roll out a new character at the appropriate XP level for the next game and the start of the next arc.

Purge the Unclean is a excellent group of starting modules if you are looking for pre-generated stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

This is actually not something that we know. In fact, the whole set up could very easily be the chaos gods trying to trick those people into thinking he had made deals with them. Remember that in each of those visions, they were trying to get a specific kind of reaction out of those people.

This has a lot of truth, however there are subtle hints that Magnus knows the Truth (and what he actually is) in some of the Heresy novels.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pyrolocutus posted:

Isn't there also the issue of the blindness of the Thousand Sons to the fact that their familiars are actually demons? Did Magnus know about that?

The nature of the warp wasn't shared with the rest of humanity when the crusade began. Unless you had some reason to actually know what was there, it was essentially the 9th Dimension that was populated with some native non-sentient predators. The line Thousand Son member would have just known the official line, or whatever story had been told to them.

Magnus would have known, but whether he appreciated the danger or was blinded by arrogance is another matter.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I know is my Ork in my Rogue Trader campaign has a blinking red incandescent bulb on his shoota, and it definitely makes it more accurate.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hodgepodge posted:

Or grab Deathwatch and have the Marines be an alternate team of PCs for the players to use, if you think this can be done without them overshadowing their RT characters.

I actually started a campaign that had something like this going on.

Rogue Trader main characters, and sprinkled among the crew was a Dark Heresy Inquisition party. The Rogue Trader party would be the majority of game time, but every so often they would play the agents investigating the dodgy poo poo they had been up to on Cygnis V.

I would probably avoid giving one person a space marine character in a rogue trader game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Locomotive breath posted:

Seal Wounds.

No, really. That one spell is the single, biggest, most glaring issue with Biomancy, as it bascially means that combat is a non-issue, because no matter how badly you're hurt, so long as you didn't die/lose a limb, you can just recover from it in one or two uses of it. Honestly, most of the Biomancy powers are pretty tame, I'd be fine with people using Biomancy, just so long as they don't take Seal Wounds.

I should probably have house ruled Seal Wound for my game well. It basically becomes a wand of cure light wounds for DH (which should not exist), with the added benefit of occasionally summoning a daemon.

In my last campaign, due to a particularly hilarious series of rolls during the post combat heal everyone up, the psyker managed to give everyone 30-50 corruption points in one go. It did make him more judicious in his psychic usage though.