Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm strongly considering GMing a campaign of Dark Heresy (1st Edition) for my college's roleplaying club, and while I'm excited, this will be the first time I've ever GMed. Combine this with the fact that most of the games in said club are DnD or Shadowrun, and it looks like it will be a predominately newbie game. Because of this, I've considered either doubling there health, or taking any complete loss of HP as a loss of limb, requiring them to get a poor-quality implant to replace a randomly selected limb/eyes/whatever. I'm also thinking about running some of the sessions made by Fantasy Flight, like the free quickstarts and maybe the buyable campaigns, until I get used to GMing the campaign of my own devices. Any other advice for a first time GM? Does this layout sound like it would work well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks everyone! One more question. Have any of you played the buyable campaigns? Are they any good?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Wait, Baby Magnet, is the Astronomican still active or not? Because, if not, Loyalists should have a LOT of trouble with Warp travel.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Is FFG planning on doing a second edition for anything other than Dark Heresy? I don't know if I should buy Deathwatch or Rogue Trader if they are, given how their systems have likely aged compared to the Black Crusade, Only War, and Dark Heresy 2E.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Would you say that about all pre-DH 2E RPGs or just the two I mentioned? I have Only War, and I like it okay, but I was considering getting Deathwatch and Black Crusade in addition to Dark Heresy 2E just because I feel they do a better job than I could do with the feel of their settings. I just think that Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy 1 are too old and clunky to play.
Would you say Deathwatch and Black Crusade are still worth a purchase?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly, seeing the First Founding splatbook and all it had was the thing which made me want to get Deathwatch in the first place.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Is Deathwatch still worth getting? I have Only War and Black Crusade, but I would like to have the ability to run awesome Space Hulk adventures. This said, I worry that Deathwatch is too old and mechanically clunky to be worth getting compared to the newer Warhammer 40k RPGs. Is this the case?
Edit: Also, unconnected question, but are all the GM screens compatible?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I don't know if I would say it quite like that, just because Black Crusade gets rid of that and allows more free form character creation, but uses Chaos Gods and alignment to force certain skills to be taken lest you anger your aligned God. Then again you may argue that is a proto-aptitude system.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

What's the best use for the Black Crusade splat book archetypes? They're such high experience that I worry nothing could challenge them, but I want to run a Night Lords campaign because ADB.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Are the GM screens for Black Crusade, Only War, and Dave Heresy 2nd Ed. more or less interchangeable?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So would you suggest getting the DH 2 GM screen and using that one for the others?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I have all three systems, and hated having to constantly look up rules when I ran my Only War campaign. I was hoping there was one screen I could use for all of them.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

For the people with Wrath and Glory, are there any mechanics yet for differentiating between Space Marines of different chapters? In the Free RPG Day adventure, the White Scars character had bonuses to piloting and other White Scars things for example. So do they have things like "Black Templars get +2 to melee" or is that likely to come in a later supplement?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I was already super excited for this game, but the moment I saw that Evil Sunz orks get +1d3 to piloting, but only if they're going as fast as possible, I knew that this was the game I had wanted FFG's RPGs to be. It just looks so drat fun.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I'm about to run a W&G campaign, where one player is gonna play an Ork, while the rest are probably gonna be humans/Space Marines. Anyone have any advice on how to make this work?
I was thinking that the Ork could be a mercenary that works with the Rogue Trader that is acting as the player's means of transportation. Maybe have the characters have some sort of Ordo Xenos signed Inquisitorial paperwork saying that the Ork is a lobotomized servitor-like project that is undergoing experiments (which isn't true, but would allow the Ork player to actually go places).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly still working that out. I have a first session/arc planned, where the PCs have to race a group of Chaos cultists to a feudal world to secure/kill a young Alpha Plus psyker found there. After that, I was gonna probably gonna wing it. Maybe sandbox in the Gilead System until they find a chaos plan to take it over? I am open to ideas and suggestions. Also, because it might be important, probably gonna be Tier 2-3, more likely 3.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Cubicle7 just unveiled their new Wrath and Glory Revised cover. It looks loving great.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

The revised edition of Wrath and Glory should be released sometime next week. It'll be good to see what Cubicle 7 did with the rules.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

As someone generally more interested in the big Space Marine Tier 40k roleplay and who thought the old DW system was too cumbersome, I'm a bit skeptical of the new system, but if people say it's good and isn't just the same thing, I may go for it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I'd be fine with Sisters of Battle tier play, or more elite Imperial Guard, I just don't like being a poo poo farmer in roleplaying games, especially in settings where there ARE people doing cool and interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I hear often that Wrath and Glory's ascension system makes it so ascended characters are so much better than regular characters that the math breaks down (i.e. an ascended tier 3 guardsman has better stats and gear than a regular tier 3 tactical marine). How true has that been for people running it? Is there any fix you've found if so?