Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
So!

2nd session (3rd, technically, given that due to hilarious mutual ineptitude our 1st mission took two Sundays to complete) of the Deathwatch game I am in is this Sunday.

Our four-man posse has been bolstered by two new players arriving, running a Blood Angels Apothecary and a Dark Angels Librarian.

Our primary goal is thwarting a rogue Ordo Xenos Inquisitor who has defected to Chaos and is hiding in a massive fortress in the middle of a city on a Forge World. Chaos Marines may be present. Our secondary goals include capturing him alive, making any heretics accompanying him VERY VERY DEAD, and generally blowing things up.

At our disposal are Predator tanks (including a Baal-pattern for our groups' Blood Angels), Guardsmen, and an NPC-driven Land Raider containing 5 NPC Terminators.

Whether a spectacular success or a spectacular failure, this shall be nonetheless spectacular. :black101:

Glorious tales of derp, damnation and destruction shall be forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I *do* recall that someone over at 4chan posted the chronicles of their "Deffwatch" campaign, wherein a group of particularly cunning orks successfully masqueraded as Astartes through a sector best described as the Imperium's dumping ground for its idiots, stoners, lunatics, misfits and oddballs.

Suffice it to say it was...Interesting.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 14, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

moths posted:

Jesus Christ these guys are available again.

The only matchup worth playing is these guys versus Slaaneshi Marines. :black101:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Fear And Loathing In Commorragh.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

St0rmD posted:

I think they got married.

Our hobby, everyone! :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Allow me to recollect the highlights of our group, the Emperor's Angels of Failure.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE:

*Brother-Sergeant Ignatus Magnum of the Ultramarines (Tactical/Tyrannic War Veteran, my character)
    *Brother Mathias of the Imperial Fists (Devastator)
    *Brother Gottfried of the Black Templars (Assault)
    *Brother Sanguis Aerugo of the Blood Angels (Techmarine)
    *Sanguinary Priest Anvilus of the Blood Angels (Apothecary)
    *Brother-Librarian Calibos of the Dark Angels (Librarian, obviously)

ADVENTURE THE FIRST - Fun Times With Tyranid Scout Organisms:

In Which The Angels Descend From The Heavens to Retrieve A Wayward Techpriest With Sensitive Intel On Chaos Activity Before Tyranids Eat The Planet And Look Like Total Morons In The Process.

-One Marine consistently throwing grenades backwards
-A Tyranid gaunt surviving a direct hit from a missile while others around him are destroyed due to bizarre dice flukes
-Our Techmarine punching things so hard they EXPLODE. :black101:
-My character finishing off a 'Nid warrior by punching its head off and claiming it as a trophy.
-Our Devastator's rockets hitting everything but the ground.
-My character's bolter jamming on the first turn of combat in the first battle of our first session of the game.
-Our group failing hysterically to dispose of a quaint group of 24 'gaunts and 2 'Nid warriors while an Imperial Commissar conversely wracks up kills like he's a Primarch.
-Our Devastator knocking a Trygon silly with a concussion rocket
-Our Assault Marine dumping a grenade down said Trygon's throat...For 1 damage. :pseudo:
-A random Guardsman finishing off said Trygon by just un-loving-loading on it with a heavy bolter. (Error here on GM's part RE: full-auto fire, but too insane to deny.)

ADVENTURE THE SECOND - Bumper Cars/Tanks:

In Which The Angels Slowly Learn To Harness The Emperor's Chariots And Hunt For A Heretical Ordos Xenos Inquisitor.

-Our Blood Angels' Baal Predator attempts to manuever out of the enemy's line of fire and runs into a wall.
-The uber-Commissar joined us for an encore and demanded that his tank's pilot drive him close, that he might hit them with his sword.
-A tank in our midst (mechanized assault mission!) turned traitor at an inopportune time, but we thwarted by dogpiling it with our own tanks for maximum tank shock.
-After dismounting, we interrupt a Chaos ritual in a building with excellent efficiency, partly thanks to our arrived-mid-game Librarian, who does a good job of playing up his secretive schtick. Our Black Templar hears vox chatter from the body of a dead cultist, listens in, hears that our target is sending reinforcements to check out the clatter, and our Black Templar dares the heretic scum to come to him. He then crushes the voxcaster. What a guy! :clint:
-Our Librarian prettymuch instantly frying a Night Lords Chaos Marine in one turn. Our Librarian gets poo poo done! :black101:

ADVENTURE THE THIRD - If You Run Out Of Targets, Shoot Yer Buddy:

In Which The Angels Get New Toys, Shoot Lots Of People Dead, And Must Help 8-Foot-Tall Angry Men Work Through Their Differences:

-My character repeatedly discovering the joy of a Storm Bolter + Metal Storm rounds and removing huge chunks of enemy heretic hordes.
-A pair of Dreadnoughts having their drat assault cannons jam. Fortunately they had storm bolters in their other arms! :eng101:
-Getting attacked by some apparent Alpha Legion moles disguised as Ultramarines.
-Coming upon some Dark Angels firing on unarmed civilians for apparent Chaos cooperation. We got them to come along with us instead. We concluded that the covert Alpha Legion presence is inciting the citizens to paranoia, causing them to fire upon the loyalist forces which would then cause the loyalists to fire back, sowing fear, uncertainty and doubt.
-Regrouping with the Company Captains of the three Space Marine battle groups also assigned to the operation, and attempting to discern where amongst the Space Marines the traitors are hiding...Only for about half of the Captains' Honour Guard to turn against us as a Alpha Legion warband leader IN FREAKING TERMINATOR ARMOR and his Chaos Sorceror buddy teleport down to face us.
-Once again our Librarian gets poo poo done and fries the Sorceror with disturbing ease.
-Relentless firepower finally downs the warband leader, only for him to turn into A GODDAMN DAEMON PRINCE.
-Through more dakka and our Librarian's mad skills (and also the Captains drawing most of the fire that would otherwise hit us) we down the Daemon Prince. As we regain our bearings and lick our wounds, our Librarian goes over to examine the remains of the Sorceror's armor...And finds it bears the chapter markings of the Dark Angels. poo poo. JUST. GOT. REAL. :black101:

-----

Thus concludes the Chronicles of Fail for now. More mayhem to report in about a week from now!

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 27, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I like how I came to post my groups stuff yesterday, and apparently it bears disturbing similarity :stare:.

Also, is it alright if I continue to post my groups' stories here? This is the closest place to a Deathwatch thread, and I wanted to share the shenanigans as everyone learns the rules and such.

Maybe we used the same adventure modules? :v:

Alternatively one of the peeps in my group is a Goon and I never realized.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

This is true, but not in the way you think. Glad to see my glorious charge of gently caress all has been recorded for goons to see.:haw:

Also, hi.

:whatup:

Getting a chance to fight some PROPER hordes this time was fun. Everything prior was like eating from the world's smallest popcorn bucket.

TWENTY-FIVE HERETICS IN ONE TURN OF BURSTFIRE, MOTHAFUCKAS.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 28, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I am trying to imagine what playing a Grey Knight is like.

How you you make and play something even more ridiculously overpowered than a Deathwatch Space Marine? How do you challenge it? Throw multiple daemon princes and Bloodthirsters at it at once?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

spacegoat posted:

They're putting out four Black Crusde supplements for each of the Chaos Gods.

:byodood:

:aaaaa:

Father Nurgle is generous indeed.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Well, I know my group had a hysterical and fun first session despite our GMs lack of familiarity with the system, so at the very least even if you struggle with Deathwatch at first you'll likely still have fun. :v:

I am admittedly biased though. And lack enough familiarity with Dark Heresy to truly compare.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Crimson Fists? Awesome.

Sooo, the Deathwatch campaign I'm in currently has the Alpha Legion, the Fallen, Craftworld Ulthwe Eldar, the Inquisition, and a traitor Black Shield, all running around in the Jericho Reach while we attempt to sort things out. It's a huge pile of schemes---we're just waiting for Tzeentch worshipers to rear their many heads.

Next session is holding a planet against a Tau invasion. This makes things SO much simpler. Except not. :v:

I freaking love Deathwatch. :3:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Solus posted:

So my first time GMing went well. I scratched together two tacticals, two assaults, a Devestator and an Apothecary. One for each chapter and threw Renown and Requisition out of the window and gave everything something shiny and a few random talents that suited them. It seemed to work better for a one off game to get some newbies into tabletop

A Blood Angel Assault Marine who's specialty was Dual Wielding Chainswords was lifted up by the Space Wolves assault marine. At the edge of his boosted vertical jump range he then proceeded to throw the Blood Angel directly into a Tyranid Warrior.

I didn't even bother rolling for damage :black101:

I know the damage formula for that. You roll FUCKdYOU for whatever's on the receiving end. :haw:

I wish more games had as satisfyingly overkilly combat mechanics as Deathwatch. It's like Fantasy Flight Games looked at all the broken dreams of everyone who had played D&D with 1st-level characters, discovered that the game sucked that way, and then sternly vowed, "NO MORE WEAK STARTER CHARACTERS, NEVER AGAIN. :black101: "

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 13, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
If they are having it too easy, throw shitloads of Eldar at them. :haw: It worked for my DM!

Also, I think something is very very strange with our game because we eat Khorne Berserkers for breakfast in their native element yet we nearly could have been TPKed by a renegade Deathwatch and two Alpha Legionnaires in our last game.

Then again, that probably had to do with the fact that we had the initiative and proper tools for the occasion for the Khorne Berserkers (even despite the tight quarters) whereas the Alpha Legionnaires were waiting to ambush us in an EXTREMELY tight space with deadly melee weapons and a plasma cannon.

Thankfully our Librarian psy-roasted everything inside which didn't hurt them too much but prevented the plasma gunner from getting any shots off since he was occupied with trying to be not on fire. :supaburn:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I need to remember that our team's Librarian has a big gently caress-off sword powered by his psyker juice and thus I shouldn't be *too* hesitant to send him in with the Assault Marine.

(Sort of ironically our Sanguinary Priest has the lowest killcount out of anyone in our Kill-team.)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Heh, awesome. I kind of wish I'd written that. I did "Playing the Game" and the Game Master chapter in that book.

Oh, wow, really? Tell me what it was like working for FFG. They seem pretty swell. :allears:

Also, I know that one of the Deathwatch books has rules for portraying massive-scale battlefields and how to give them some sort of physical representation...Think there's any way to violently graft Epic Armageddon onto Deathwatch?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Not really - why would you want that - they're completely different systems, with different scales. In Epic you have great groups of people (including your party) getting killed very easily, or suppressed or just vanishing - it doesn't work with a protagonist-centered game. If you want to play Epic, play Epic, but it's unlikely to gel very well with an actual party system.

Rites of Battle has rules for playing with bigger military assets, calling in things like a squad of Leman Russes (~3 - you'd be looking at 10 or so at an epic level), as well as lance strikes and orbital observation using battlefield requisition. If you want to play DW as part of an epic battlefield conflict, it's much better to stick with the DW rules, and model in-game what's going on around them (in such a way as to make it fun for them) than to 'verisimilitudinously' feel that you've got to model everything.

I suppose I should mention that I meant to stick a :v: at the end of my question. :P

You're probably right, though. And a map of the battlefield wouldn't matter much unless the players wanted to plot a specific way to get to where they wanted to strike, or if they wanted to commandeer allied units to assist them in the assault in a specific manner.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Did you ever follow my "Ask me about writing in the games industry" thread? We had a discussion about the ins and outs of game editing in there. Suffice it to say, it's never going to get better.

I wish to see this, please!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Problem - My Ultramarines character has three different bolters, 3 different swords, a knife, and lots of grenades/magazines as a result of character advances giving me lots of freebies. I cannot use all of these at once and I have no clue what to do with all of them.

Solution - I spend 400 XP on getting up to Trained rank in Performer/Juggling. Uses have been found! :dance:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
That sounds like a plan! :)

(As an aside, it always bewilders me when I read that human spaceships in 40k are big enough to have their own demographics and ecosystems.)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Hah, it's our GM's go-to route for a session when we're inbetween missions- have us get involved in starship politics. I remember when we had to arrange a marriage between the Port and Starboard Battery Clans, then arrange for added security and priveleges for the dudes in charge of the Nova Cannon because they feared a takeover from the newly-formed alliance. We're thinking of upgrading a few systems (reducing Space and Power requirements) and getting a Barracks, as our Missionary thinks shared military training and conscription would help reduce frictions between the two groups.

I have to ask whether the Imperium has cryotechnology, except I don't think cryotech is feasible in the four-figure range needed for all the crewmen on an Imperium ship since what would normally be automated on a sane, modern or futuristic starship has to be done by hand by innumerable deckswabbies.

And at any rate the cryotech/sleepertech is needed elsewhere, like for keeping Eversors stuffed away in a cozy box until the Officio Assassinorum needs a nice little package of canned murder deployed somewhere.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
In today's session of my group:

-A multiway political clusterfuck between Tau, Tau-sympathizing Imperials, multiple Guard regiments having a power struggle over who assumes command of the city's Imperial Guard division after the sympathizers assassinated the residing Lord General, and us. Actual investigative work! Fun! We're like the world's most overpowered SWAT team.
    -We break into a sympathizer's hideout and I threaten to use my juggling skills on the rebel scum if they do not cooperate.
    -Our Apothecary attempts to solve problems by being an EXTREMELY aggressive drug pusher.
    -When an ammo dump in the city explodes, an order to our Apothecary to tend to wounded Guardsmen is met with an incredibly bored-sounding "No."
    -My Ultramarine tackles a Guardsman into a wall to prevent him from executing a person of interest in the Tau conspiracy. CRUNCH!
    -We confront the corrupt city elder helming the Tau sympathizers in the city, plus his bodyguard, all toting Tau pulse carbines. The elder taunts us to give him one good reason not to fire...To which our response is our Librarian burning over half of them alive with his powers, my Ultramarine blasting 4 of them into kibble with a Storm Bolter, and our Black Templar Assault Marine pinning the elder to a wall with a power blade at the elder's throat while growling "How's THAT for a reason?"

I swear, I have the best group and play the best game. :keke:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

In our experience, Accurate weapons are surprisingly effective. Those sniper boltguns (can't remember the name) and Angelus-pattern boltguns hooked up with ammo backpacks chew them up like nobody's business.

Stalker bolters! :eng101:

And I'm waiting for your campaign to go "The Omen" on your poor six. Be sure to name the kid Damien! :pseudo:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Do they even make those things for humans? I thought they were all Astartes stuff.

No clue, actually. I imagine there might be a human-strength version, seeing as how the main propellant that launches stalker rounds out of the muzzle is compressed air (once it clears the barrel, the normal gyrojet rocket bit kicks in).

At any rate, if an Inquisitor needs for her retinue to have a human-scale Stalker bolter, the Mechanicus delivers or FINDS a way to deliver, I imagine. The consequences of an Inquisitor not getting what they need tend to be...Predictable. :commissar:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
An Imperial Guard game? I gotta wonder if this is gonna be like Paranoia where you're expected to die horribly but have extra lives of sorts...

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

robziel posted:

Amusingly I was thinking the exact same thing.

It's either that or an ULTRAMANLY difficulty setting version of Deathwatch.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I demand playable Ogryns. :black101:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Benagain posted:

Can you at least give us a radness number from 1 to 10?

Or even, praytell, give us a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of radness?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I have this sudden urge to run Rogue Trader less as grimdark Star Trek and more as a grimdark spacefaring Pirates of the Caribbean.

Imagine this as the campaign theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPb6nG1E4P0&feature=endscreen&NR=1

:black101:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
So my Deathwatch group and I basically concluded today that Iron Hands Librarians are prettymuch Darth Vader.

I love this game. :black101:

EDIT: Also, when Only War comes out, I'm going to run a mini-campaign for my friends where everyone plays Catachans, the enemies are Tyranids and Necrons, and the players have to name their characters after '80s action stars, any semblance of plot is put aside in the name of KILLING MORE poo poo. :black101:

CONTRA: THE TABLETOP RPG.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 9, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
How do Blood Ravens have a disturbing voice? Doesn't seem more disturbing than any other typical Astartes.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

SPESS MEHRENS

Okay, you win. That's terrifying. :gonk:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Riso posted:

Nothing is worse than an enemy you can't nick equipment from.

Such a foe leaves the Blud Rehvens with only one course of action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4om7AuID6BY

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Looking at the cover for that adventure I'd like to say holy gently caress that's a bigass knife.

At any rate I know what I'm doing June 16th! :dance:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
On the note of Catachans, as I mentioned above I'm seriously considering making a minicampaign for Only War that's a weird mashup of 40k and Contra.

Would you guys say that one level = one session, for the purposes of pacing?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
What if you bump into some Grey Knights FIGHTING a Bloodthirster? :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I guess in a pinch, you could use a Traveller planetary system generator and run it through the 40k grimdark filter.

Or use the same from Stars Without Number (which admittedly seems to be Traveller with some handy DMing tools added on).

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Already been done, hombre.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Unfortunately, we have a terrible hobby and female space marines can only lead to bad places.

I am extremely uncertain how to react to that. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

To be honest, while the 'stick boobs on a spehss marehn' things is :stonk:-inducing, I must admit that I love the colour scheme :shobon: Tiger stripes is rad, yo.

But the thing is I didn't see any boobs, so either I'm blind or stupid here!

I like the concept and the paint scheme, though!

(On another note, note to self: Zulu marines. Make it happen, Jesters.)