Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Playing the RT game has got one of the perennial GMs in our gaming group to decide he wants to run a campaign again, so we've done a session zero and now he's writing a whole sector for us to explore. Pretty pumped. RT was my first exposure to 40k roleplaying and the game ran by this very DM was what made a lot of us friends in the first place. But they should update the system.

The 40k game I've played the most though is Black Crusade, and frankly that's still the best of all of them just in terms of how off the rails it can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Can anyone help me work out what Trade (Technomat) in Rogue Trader is actually for? I can't work out when you would ever use it over Tech-Use.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Tech-Use explictly says that making new devices etc. is "for the relevant Trade skill", but... other than Armorer, which is explictly for weapons, I can't see what Trade skill of the ones listed that would be.

Edit: also, "Trade" is explictly the skill for creating things - it says it right in the rulebook. I would expect knowledge of a worker's life to be more of a lore skill, Common Lore Adeptus Mechanicus or something. Technomat, whatever it is meant to do, has to be something that can make you money

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

IIRC it’s described somewhere as “construction and maintenance by rote memorisation”. So a technomat can build a lasgun or repair a bulkhead, but not direct a ship’s cogitator or overcharge a plasma reactor.

It’s not a great skill as anyone who would have Technomat but not Tech-Use is an NPC.

"Used to maintain and repair technological devices, but through rote memorisation rather than true understanding."

lines
Aug 18, 2013

My character who has this is a Genetor so I'm not sure what the Biologis equivalent is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

ok I nabbed myself a PDF copy of Wrath and Glory

holy moly, I never knew running a D&D campaign was so complex lol the rulebook and numbers I have to keep up with puts normal 40k to shame! this rulebook is huge!

are there any quick-start or guides for complete morons like me to learn how to start a game and not get lost in all these numbers?

I don't know W&G, but having run more complicated systems: you can vibe a lot more than you think you can.