Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rogue Trader's newest actual expansion (non-module) book is a little over ten years old now, and it desperately needs a new corebook too.

Maybe the crpg will re-ignite interest in creating or refactoring material, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Elukka posted:

I wonder if they'll address the question of what exactly it is that Eldar corsairs steal if you're going to be playing as them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A final twist in the Ollanius Persson plot-- and something the author later clarifies as a portion of his thesis on the relationship between the imperium and truth -- is that it turns out that the story Moriana fused together as a "good-sounding lie" is 100% accurate regarding what happened outside her direct knowledge and second-hand witness. The last defender of The Emperor really was a guardsman, he really did defend Him with a lasgun, Horus did indeed obliterate him.

After aaallllllllll of the crazy poo poo Ollanius went through and despite all of the insane additional detail on the plot threads happening at that same time, the core of the Guard's pride here is actually accurate, followed shortly by just a father, killing his son, with a rock. End scene with the first prayers sung to the corpse emperor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I feel like the biggest pushback to the conclusion of the series I've seen / overheard so far both online and playing 10th ed / AoS is that the last book raises the question of actual hope for the first time basically since WH40K was created.

Something unforseen has panicked the four ruinous powers. They they did not see until way too late, and it doesn't seem like they intervened at the end quickly enough for then-penitent Horus to save them. We are now positioned for the setting to continue to progress in a way that started with Cadia falling.

I think three prospect of more progress is alarming some fans, particularly the grognard among us.

I'm looking forward to the setting continuing to break its traditional bonds of stagnancy, and I'm holding out hope for the RT computer game to birth a new RT roleplaying book set in M42. Roleplaying is resurgent, and the quality of Warhammer's recent games is slowly expanding the fanbase.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 6, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Almost.

Technomat is less like "I work on an iPhone assembly line" and more like Tier 1 helpdesk IT. It's repetitive in the sense that the known rituals of libation and sacrifice dwindle as time goes on. Easy checks apply the skill to make an advance upon the machine spirit of a device whose mysteries are well understood. Challenging checks require the petitioner to intuit how to string like rituals together for technology where either they don't know the specific ritual (perhaps the equipment is quite rare) or the equipment is not mechanics compliant (cobbled together, ancient, or not even imperial). The skill advances with rote memorization, exposure, and practice, but it plied with intelligence/intuition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Preechr posted:

Blessed be the Omnissiah, for the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Let the pee stored in His balls rain down upon us and strengthen us against Error.