Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Why is Only War forever unreleased? :( I thought it was supposed to come out in October 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Young Freud posted:

I do hope there's a Scum-focused book. I'd imagine it would be something like the various Necromunda hierarchies, but fleshed out for roleplaying.

Scum were lumped in with the arbites book. You can become a crimelord. Theres some mafioso type background material

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

TehWarsmith posted:

The way I look at things like this is if you ever do meet a girl who you bring home and she sees that you have a giant Chaos tome and is super impressed by it and wants to play Black Crusade with you, you'll know you've found the one.

Until she gets slaneesh in the bedroom and you find yourself part of her dark sacrifice

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Only War :swoon: Totally running that poo poo in TG when it comes out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

There's a scene in one story where a Leman Russ tank commander rams a Bloodthirster and calmly fires his pistol into his munitions stowage. :black101:
(Although in retrospect, that may have been a Mordian.)

Because I am a huge krieg fanboy.

quote:

The Death Korps of Krieg Kick rear end

The air was far worse than humid, and tiny droplets of viscous liquid hung suspended in the tepid atmosphere like static rain. Three weeks had passed since the rift had opened upon the agri-world of Hubris IV, and Chaos ran rife through what was once a sane and productive planet. Now the landscape itself actually breathed like some monstrous beast, the black column of Death Korps marching across acres of puckered skin and through forests of thick, slime-covered hair.

Veteran Sergeant Mahler knew full well why his superiors had requested to be transferred here. The missions of Chaos epitomized weakness, especially those that revered this particular god, and must be eradicated. No matter that they had lost most of their company to starvation and disease. They would bring the Emperor’s grace back to this world.

At a curt command from the front of the column, the Death Korps fanned out into a battle line as doctrine dictated. The armoured support, a resplendent symbol of the Emperor’s might, took up its positions. Imperial pennants and skull-emblazoned banners fluttered in the breeze above rank upon rank of black greatcoats. For a second, all was still.

Without warning, there was a deafening scream, and all hell broke loose.

Countless fleshy mouths were peeling open in the ground ahead. Clambering out of the foul orifices were all manner of monstrosities, a catalogue of perversion and insanity. The lasguns of the Death Korps opened fire, searing into daemon flesh in as perfect a firing drill as displayed on the subterranean rifle ranges of their home planet. Coalescing in the air mere feet ahead, a horned, dripping head leered out from the ether, straining forward to catch the trooper next to Mahler in its distended jaws. Mahler and his squad took out the thing’s eyes, firing pointblank as it came for him, the ghastly apparition dissipating at the last second as his bayonet punctured its bulging forehead.

The tide of atrocity spilling across the ground was closing fast, a gestalt entity of lascivious flesh and gibbering faces. To the right, a troupe of clawed daemon-hags danced and slithered forward, their sensuous bodies writhing obscenely. One of them headed toward Mahler, its grinning features twisting into a foul parody of a woman from his past. Its aura of evil beauty was overpowering. Claws raised, it reared back to strike. Mahler shot it in the mouth.

Shouting praise to the Emperor, the Death Korps blew apart daemon upon daemon, their grotesque forms liquefying and running like quicksilver across the dermal landscape. Many-limbed flesh-scorpions clambered across the bodies of the fallen, their barbed tails stabbing spasmodically into anything that still drew breath. Battle tanks thundered shells into the gaping maw-portals that had vomited forth the Chaos filth, the landscape shuddering in pain with each titanic detonation. Lasguns sliced through unprotected flesh time and time again, the air sizzling with the stench of battle. And yet not one of the Death Korps hesitated in his duty. Mahler expected nothing less.
On the left flank, a flock of daemons wheeled towards them, their long-limbed bipedal steeds carrying screeching riders at shocking speed toward a weakened spot in the Death Korps’ line. Just as Mahler feared they would hit home, the Krieg Death Riders swept over a fleshy ridge, sonorous voices rising above the deafening howling of the daemons in a battlecry of devotion and rage. Hunting lances burst through the flanks of the daemonic cavalry, massive discharges of energy tearing apart the lithe creatures and bowling their riders to the ground. The daemons had the advantage of numbers, and reacted quickly. Contemptuously, one Daemonette pivoted gracefully and snipped off the head of a Krieg steed with a vicious claw, another smashing a Death-Rider from his saddle before sinking its teeth into the face of his mount. But the Death-Riders had earnt their formidable reputation for a reason, their wounded steeds regaining their feet, sparks flying from the damaged machinery implanted in the resilient beasts. The Death Riders plunged back into the melee, fighting with renewed ferocity.

The orgy of carnage seemed only to encourage the remaining daemons. Mahler was shocked to see a gigantic, many armed nightmare burst from the ground in a spray of light and blood, its elongated face bellowing a deafening battlecry. The cry was answered by mass lasfire, a hundred guns spitting defiance at the beast. It strode toward their lines, paying as much heed to the Guardsmen as a grox would to a lashfly. Firing on full auto now, Mahler caught a glimpse of a Leman Russ with a damaged turret speeding forward toward the Greater Daemon on what was obviously a collision course, well away from the battleline. The daemon was inhumanly fast, and smashed one of its claws down into the turret, peeling it open as if it were paper. Its other claw neatly snipped the barrels from the tank’s guns. The thing was on the hull in the blink of an eye, its lithe limbs working fast as it peeled back the armour, intent on feasting on the souls of the guardsmen inside. It pushed its head into the hole torn in the hull, its gurgling laugh running through the psyche of every one of the Death Korps in a contusion of psychic pain. For a moment, time seemed to halt.

With perfect clarity, Mahler saw one of the tank crew turn calmly and discharge his laspistol into the stacked battle cannon shells by the loading breach.

The resultant explosion was cataclysmic, a vast mushroom of noise, light, and dust. It annihilated not only the tank and the Greater Daemon, but slaughtered hundreds of its nearby minions. The remainder were in disarray, howling as the ground buckled and split, lesions appearing in a thousand places.

As one, the Death Korps of Krieg charged.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is only one of the traits of Kriegers and the Janissaries, their other traits are pretty different from eachother.

And their background is really different. The Maccabians seem to be like crusading missionaries.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Jumping in late on bipod chat, but I'd let anyone using a basic weapon to be allowed to setup with a restricted aiming field and gain fully aimed bonus without having to aim. I guess. Maybe something better/cooler. Increased range perhaps + aim bonus.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
He is a tech priest and this is a really easy way to hook his character into receiving MORE augmentation to repair the damage. Dark Heresy is unforgiving, but the warhammer universe is so hosed up there are plenty of ways to resolve something in a way that is satisfactory in terms of consequence for the GM and character resolution for the player.

In terms of 'session resolution', depending on how augmented he is you could have had the brunt of the burst eat up his components, and force the players to scramble for black market replacements while the tech priest leaks oil and synthetic blood all over the floor, give him some penalties and make it so he receives heavy negative reactions from civilians and non-mech Imperium people.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
That is loving awesome, and the kind of thing you should do!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
You were probably being an rear end in a top hat unless there is some really revealing information you're leaving out. Your fellow PCs should never be on such a level that suggesting an alternative strategy could be considered mutinous. Unless everyone is like literally mutinying.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Use your powers as often as possible.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
You could have Slaneeshi aligned merc's hunting for Exodites to capture for chaos sacrifice/turning/soul eating. They could ambush/hunt your party mistaking them for exodites. Exodites controlling packs of native beasts could be an interesting encounter. Navigating a series of traps laid out by the exodites around a point of interest.

You could have a mundane looking point of interest turn out to be a webway portal entrance, to the bad part of the webway that Chaos fucks. The players opening it could be a big exodite nono.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
They should have to go deck to deck selling plastic cups with their bands name on it, and get a bonus point if they succeed in selling enough to pay for their entry into the battle of the bands.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
hoorayy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I'm really bummed that Amazon is keeping less warhammer roleplay books in stock & some for no discount :(

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
If anyone is looking to grab Only War, amazon finally has it for a nice discount 38 bux.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Hey everyone,

I started a wikia with the purpose to collect the history of all our 40k games. The various GMs end up running their games in the same 'universe' (outside of the 40k setting obviously) so I thought it'd be fun to collect the important PCs and characters of our games on a wiki. If you'd like to participate, please make pages for yourself as a player and for your characters / games if you ran any!

http://acolyte.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Squidicus posted:

My group started playing the Only War campaign, and to make a long story short I'm playing a ratling. Is there anything more descriptive than the warhammer wiki that details interactions between human guardsman and ratlings or is everyone outside of the immediate squad pretty much hateful of them?

They're abhuman so your mileage may vary. They are often requisition officers or cooks so I doubt they are hated by everyone. I'd put the baseline rating on ratlings as 'ambivalent' , with regiments that work closely with them favoring them and regiments that are ultra pious distrusting or spiteful

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Final Testament posted:

“In the end, only the Emperor can judge you. Only He is qualified to
weigh acts of righteousness against deeds of vile treachery and find a
verdict for your soul. It is merely my humble task to commend you to
His final justice"

Only He? Trad Games Reference? You be the judge!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 5, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Totally possible. In the spirit of fun and metal-ness, of course it is possible. If you want to try and look at the situation from a 'realism' standpoint, once an Astartes training facility recognizes one of their trainees is a pariah they will ship them off to the assassinorum or inquisition.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

bhsman posted:

So, I need some help. My character died. :(

My Militant-Savant ended up using a desperate casting of Holocaust to kill a freak-emergence of an Unbound Daemonhost, killing or at least mortally wounding it in exchange for my dude's life. In any case, I've decided to use this as an opportunity to try out a class I've been wanting to test for awhile now: the Tech Priest.

So, if one were to build a Tech-priest from scratch with about 6000exp, how would you go about doing it?

If you have 6000 XP to spend, here is a good example of a "what has science wrought!" tech priest

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531759#post412162982

Also kudos on the heroic, awesome death

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Liesmith posted:

So essentially there are a bunch of chapters out there that may well actually be legions that just don't advertise about it. Kind of puts the lie to the whole "the imperium sucks because of artificially low numbers of space marines" thing.

Yea pretty much. Its designed to support 'end game' scenarios where some primarchs return. They have really leaned heavily on the fluff recently for:

- The Dark Angels, all the successors are basically bullshit and they all conspire as a full legion
- The Black Templars, numbering anywhere from 5,000 to 30,000 strong but scattered as uncountable crusades
- The Space Wolves, who never broke up anyways
- The Ultramarines, all the successor chapters are ready to fold back into the Ultramarines at a moments notice, so essentially a full legion

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
One thing to keep in mind is that the fluff has changed. Before the Horus Heresy books, a space marine legion was like 10,000 dudes. When it became obvious that this makes no sense, (much like imperial guard regiments assaulting an entire planet with like 1 million soldiers instead of hundreds of millions or billions) , the authors kicked the legion strengths up to ~100,000 or more. The Space Wolves only divided up once, and after that failed they never divided again. So the 13 great companies, which the new codex does not list exact # of soldier per company, are whatever the space wolves had left post heresy / 13.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Tardcore posted:

I've actually got an old Space Marine codex around here from 2004, what edition would that be? I never played the tabletop but I have it regardless somehow.

Its the 3rd edition space marine codex, though the prayers are less god-emperor cult and more 'emperor & primarch own'. The prayers are to both, in honor of the chapter existing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Scoobi posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the fluff has changed. Before the Horus Heresy books, a space marine legion was like 10,000 dudes. When it became obvious that this makes no sense, (much like imperial guard regiments assaulting an entire planet with like 1 million soldiers instead of hundreds of millions or billions) , the authors kicked the legion strengths up to ~100,000 or more. The Space Wolves only divided up once, and after that failed they never divided again. So the 13 great companies, which the new codex does not list exact # of soldier per company, are whatever the space wolves had left post heresy / 13.

Just to piggy back on my own point. If you look at the difference between 5th edition & prior vs 6th edition. In 5th edition rulebook a legion is "tens of thousands strong". In 6th edition a legion is 100,000+ space marines in the main rulebook. 6th Chaos Codex says hundreds of thousands even. They are getting more on the realistic side of what it would take to conquer a galaxy.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 8, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Stars of Inequity is out and really good. It has an indiana jones whip, a 10 foot pole, lots of random charts to make systems, loot, and planets. There is a new and extensive colony endeavor, and 4 really good plot hooks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MaliciousOnion posted:

The Ultramarines are rad as gently caress, at least for the last few years.

Letting ADB & Abnett fluff up the Ultramarines was the best thing they ever did. Way better than that Uriel Ventris junk.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yep, that was all me. I'm glad you like it! I'm one of the go-to guys for rules at FFG, although they recently gave me a break and are letting me do a whole chapter of fluff on my current assignment. Hell, my first assignment for FFG were the expanded Endeavour and Social Interaction rules in Into the Storm.

Whats going on over there? I think outside of Hammer of the Emperor theres nothing 'coming out' soon. Any rad hints you can drop? The colony rules are cool!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dedhed posted:

Partially seconding this

In the old days, they released two massive as hell books on chaos: the realm of chaos books. One for Khorne and Slaneesh, one for Nurgle and Tzeetch. They had content for both fantasy and 40k, and both the rpg and the wargames, and you can see echoes of the books even today in Black Crusade. The art in the book was wild and cool, even if the chaos space marines looked really bad (especially bezerkers).

I can't remember which book it was, but there was a section devoted to creating your own chaos gods, their reward tables and also their daemons using a combination of random tables and choice.

But what was really cool is that they gave you a long rear end example of this being done, with a chaos rat god called Kweethhul or something. And they illustrated him, and took you through creating all the daemons that served this god. And gave cool illustrations of each of those as well.

The tables for the god creation were actually pretty cool, it could be used to create independent daemons. The "trappings" table in particular was awesome. Basically what your daemon-god looks like in visions. Stuff that was very strange but at the same time not alien, at least mostly not alien.

That is in The Lost and the Damned which is the 2nd book. Its cool, if I could export PDF pages I'd create a new PDF with this section and host it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The novels Relentless, Execution Hour, and Shadow Point are really good for getting RT naval flavor. Relentless especially deals a lot with the officer power struggle on a ship as well as what its like for press ganged people & the 'trusted men' who are ratings.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
While relatively simple in construction, this weapon provides
a medium-range attack capability, particularly against targets
behind cover or out of sight, as it fires its explosive rounds in a
high, indirect arc. Mortar shells explode with a strong blast effect
and also suppress enemy fire as the targets are forced to dive for
protective cover.

This is what the rulebook says for mortars, so clearly they are supposed to suppress somehow.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
According to Battlefleet Koronus, for every 100 people theres going to be about 80 misc crew, 5-10 armsmen, 5-9 warrant officers, and then 1 officer. The people who run the guns / engines / deck repair / whatever are probably not going to give a poo poo really about the captain unless its an alien or corrupt vessel. If they are just smugglers then anyone under officer level is probably not 'in' on it. So I'd say if you make it a smaller ship of 5000 to 10000 crew, then your acolytes need to deal with the bridge crew (Captain, first mate, and any other officers) and then dealing with the 50-100 bribed officers and their cronies.

You could have them tail all these guys on shore leave: the cowardly ones could be extorted with threats of imprisonment, the violent ones could be rounded up, the sneaky ones could be bought with favors/deals. The officers from the lower decks who would not have much influence with the current captain could be wooed to mutiny with the promise of being raised up to the upper decks once a new captain is installed

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 20, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Pretty easy, its mostly just some combat changes that make auto fire not the default best choice.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Take whatever number you think Games Workshop came up with and multiply it by 100,000, now you have a realistic number of things that are happening/available/whatever.

Or just go by whatever ADB or Dan Abnett say, because they know whats up. You can have 1 Navigator, or 1 primary navigator and a bunch of lesser apprentices (2nd cousins in the house, whatever) per ship. Of course that means there are millions of Navigators. It makes sense, the Imperium spans an entire galaxy!

You can have 1 astropath, or no astropaths, or a choir of astropaths. If the ship has none then they have to find places to stop to send and receive messages, way stations and the like.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 26, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

So wait if their insertion vehicle was crashed, how did they get back off-planet?

He said its in advance of an invasion, so I don't think extraction is a 'thing'. That story sounds awesome, and perfectly fluffy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Space Marines are their own keepers pretty much. A single marine can be left alone, on a planet, for a 10 year tour of duty of just 'watch out for poo poo' with no one to report to. Let em get up to whatever mischief they can think of.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Why did you decide to do a Badab War game? I'm curious because I wonder if you noticed that the extra marine chapters FFG included were all Badab War chapters :v: I suspect the writers got their hands on the Forgeworld Badab war set and were like 'free gold!'

Cool story

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Between the Space Wolves, the Black Templars, the Dark Angels (who definitely ARE 1 legion), and the Ultramarines based chapters, the Imperium has 4 groups which could potentially be Legion strength whenever they wanted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dirty Job posted:

Any tips for roleplaying in Black Crusade? I'm having difficulties grasping my characters in this game, partially because I'm not very good at playing a bad guy. I'm currently running as a renegade/former stormtrooper.

Well are you super chaotic? The imperium isn't a very nice place, so you could simply come from the angle of wanting more modern freedoms. You'd be a heretic, but not the moustache twirling baby sacrficing kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
As always with Paladin type characters, he should be absolutely cool with what his party members are doing (within reason) and should be directing his anger at the NPCs that are breaking the rules. Ancient cult sprung up around an archeotech on a feral world? Those feral idiots are the ones not observing the rights! The rogue trader should be liberating it!