Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a good recommendation for random planet/system generation with some actual nods to physics/orbital mechanics? I've tried fiddling with the old Traveller stuff and the updated Gurps stuff, but I really don't feel like spending a weekend doing calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe
So I've gotten back into running a Rogue Trader game, but I'm having some trouble with bad dudes for them to fight.

The RT book has just about nothing in the way of NPCs to throw at them. Is there a good resource for NPC generation and judging/scaling difficulty for fights?

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe

PST posted:

Each of the lines has an 'enemies' book, there's also some random generators for aliens in I think the RT GM screen, something else and an array of random daemon generators.
Yeah, between me and the dude who GMs 95% of the time we have just about every book and there is plenty of great stuff in them. It's just that the group is still in a just-fighting-regular-humans part of the opening of the campaign and I was hoping for something to help with that.

I thing I've ginned something up, but it's hard to test it when you forget that the party loves Krak grenades, which turned the [this will be an awesome aerial chase with lots of gunfire] encounter into a [man, the explosion of their vehicle really shook those bad guys up, guess we can kill them now] encounter.

It doesn't help that all my enemy NPCs have been rolling The Worst™: extra critical failure on missile launcher guy leads to ammo stockpile exploding and eliminating a third of an encounter. Meanwhile the players and allied NPCs have been rolling The Best: NPC pilot with Heavy Bolter gets 5 hits, 4 of which crit, against enemy transport, which (using the OW rules) leads to the pilot getting knocked out and thus auto-failing the out of control check and crashing & blowing up 40 stories below, eliminating another third of the encounter.

PST posted:

In terms of balancing for fights, I mostly eyeball it. 5 warlocks with witchblades will murderise low level RT characters, unless they all bought X or Y as their starting acquisition, or the navigator goes eye of doom on them etc.

So, in essence, the array of stuff an RT can bring (my group dropped a couple of companies worth of troops down to secure their acquisitions on a recent 'plant flag, claim planet' trip and likewise the tough, powerful farseer I expected to be a challenging fight got one-shot by the Voidmaster when they made a last-minute change of plans and had her flying around in a guncutter) makes any comparison to the balancing you get in, say, 4e D&D impossible.
Yep. I know that once my players get a hold of their actual ship that it's just a matter of time until a Lance Strike is used as a form of ground based conflict resolution.