Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Do any of the books from any of the power brackets have stats for Tau weapons (suits/warriors, not kroot don't give a gently caress about a kroot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Where are people getting the beta pdf? Am I stupid and not understanding this?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
There's also this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshuha/tabletop-forge-the-virtual-tabletop-for-google-han?ref=email

quote:

Tabletop Forge is a virtual tabletop application that lives inside of a Google+ Hangout. The application allows you to play pen & paper roleplaying games as well as strategy/board games online with other players from around the world.

With a host of useful features, we hope to support as many game types as possible:

Robust dice rolling
Battle maps with grid overlays
Tokens with editable fields
Macros for storing frequently used commands
Custom tables so you can roll from user created lists or card decks
These features, combined with the integrated video conferencing already included in Google+ Hangouts, provides what we feel is an experience that closely matches face-to-face tabletop gaming.

I funded it simply because I think it'd be easier than maptools.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Synonymous posted:

I'm looking at getting into Dark Heresy very soon and am planning on playing a Psyker, because the Warp Manifestations and Sanctioning Side Effects sound fun and insane. This will be my first pen and paper RPG, let alone my first DH game- anything I should know about playing a Psyker? Is it a horrible choice for a newbie?

Get the thing that lets you modify your perils rolls. That may be Deathwatch specific, since that's the only time I've played a Psyker. Psyke all the time. Perils are hilarious, don't fear them. Push powers often. Fettering is for bitches.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Ideas. Can be mixed and matched, they are not exclusive of each other.

1) Disappearing NPCs. PCs can be given choices of areas to focus on or defend, which will slow down disappearances (NPCs only "die off" if they are alone in a scary situation). This encourages the PCs to split up, which makes for Alone in the Dark situations.

2) PCs have to nut up and basically console the terrified guardsmen. Social skill checks to keep their morale up.

3) Make essentially a map of the station, room by room (roughly, not used for combat). Each room gets a number. At each subsequent step (could be literally per encounter, but you may want to tweak how often) roll dice to see what room something happens in. Then make and consult a table of possible scary encounters. Leave little "after-effects" if it is in a room they could not observe, so they can try and figure it out later.

4)Trope-y but the boogieman Lictor. Ork-enstein. Eldar-cula. Were-kroot. etc. etc.

5) The skeleton crew has one person who is infested with a parasite, slowly losing his sanity and becoming a conduit for the scary things. Players get little clues if they're really observant, and can eliminate him for a bonus objective and potentially slow down the scary effects (esp. if you are using other instances above).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I want to play this challenge now.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Try things that force them to maneuver more. Fight on say an high-altitude space elevator platform that is collapsing, with bits of the floor falling away, having to dodge debris, etc. You could make a sort of a grid, divided into quadrants, each of which are themselves subdivided into quadrants (so 16 total grid squares). Each turn, 1 of the squares randomly falls away, creating a pit, anyone on that square has to test agility to not fall through (obviously your Assault Marines with jetpacks will find this less of a threat). Furthermore, anyone using a jetpack has a 1/3 chance of being hit by a flying object, doing damage and sending them sprawling (agility test to not fall off the platform). The instability from the bucking platform penalizes WS and BS (though it would make sense that the BS penalty could be mitigated by stabilizing weapon add-ons). Debris provides tons of cover for enemies, and you can randomly add and take away debris to reflect new objects crashing down. The idea is to provide some thematic ways that tie into the narrative, that will make the combat a bit longer and utilize more of the combat options than just full-auto/all-out attacking everything.

I'm a terrible DM and I'm sure that's a bad idea, but it's what I would do.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Keep in mind that in 40K, because of the scales involved, the TOE is not completely comparable to that of a traditional (historic) military. For instance, a regimental command is not likely to be too far from the front lines because in the grand scheme of things, a regiment is going to be the smallest "building block" unit that any general/warmaster is going to actually care about. Also, company commands would not have any permanent fixed HQs -- in a line unit (historically) there would have been a support company at the regimental level taking care of them. The company command is going to be right in the danger area, probably even on the front lines.

Basically my rule of thumb is that if you're looking at a WWII-era TOE, the appropriate roles for a particular level on the org chart are probably going to be at least two levels higher in 40K. So for instance, a battalion in WWII would be roughly doing the same things as a division in 40K.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
#oscarssoheretic

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I can't stand Wrath and Glory's dice system -- yeah the old FFG d100 rulesets had balance issues, but they were far more intuitive, especially for people already familiar with the progression trees from playing SWRPG. The new d100 game looks like it resolves a lot of the outstanding issues, so cautiously optimistic there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Tow it and invest in a lot of duct tape.