Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

I talked to some friends, we might actually give a table RPG a try, I'm thinking of getting the starter set for Wrath and glory to dip our toes into this thing, take note, I am very much a beginner into the world of D&D style experiences and games, and generally I'll be the DM for this, and I'm a big fat idiot, do you recommend Wrath and Glory? this starter set seems like a good deal at $40:-

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/wrath-glory-starter-set-2024

or is this the trick they do where the actual rules and stuff you need is in the core rules book and this doesnt cover the bases you need to play the game or DM a campaign?

From what I'm reading online, Imperium Maledictum seems like it's infinitely more complex, and the barrier of entry cost-wise is higher, I dunno, any advice?

So our regular TTRPG group has just started a W&G campaign and it's a great system. The starter set doesn't have the core rulebook, and you'll definitely want one or two of those. You can use any DM screen, but the starter set one is nice. You can use any D6s, and I'm biased as our group makes our own characters instead of pre-gen ones. so I've found that unless you really want the included adventure and DM screen, you're better off spending your money on other kits instead.

my recommendations would be...

1-2x of the Core Rulebook (for the rules obviously)
1x Redacted Records (adds a lot of options)
1x Litanies of the lost (4 fantastic adventures that you can run through at tier 1-2)

If you're still feeling spendy, only then would I consider the starter set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Preechr posted:

So the players and the GM aren’t fighting over the same book?

That's a bingo

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

Ah ok so i guess in a few months they'll re-release fresh copies.

you can buy them as PDFs from cubicle7 or you know...

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

ok I nabbed myself a PDF copy of Wrath and Glory

holy moly, I never knew running a D&D campaign was so complex lol the rulebook and numbers I have to keep up with puts normal 40k to shame! this rulebook is huge!

are there any quick-start or guides for complete morons like me to learn how to start a game and not get lost in all these numbers?

everything is D6s

Every stat is a dice pool (how many D6s to roll)

1 of those dice is your 'Wrath Dice' (replace one, don't add one)

Every 4+ is a success

6s count as 2 success!

a 6 on your 'Wrath Dice' is a Critical Success! (Roll on a table for something exciting to happen) (and you earn a Glory token)

a 1 on your 'Wrath Dice is a Critical Fail! (Roll on a table for something a complication) If you still have enough successes, the complication happens after you do the thing

Average difficulty for most things is 3

If you can get this down, everything else will fall into place

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I hear often that Wrath and Glory's ascension system makes it so ascended characters are so much better than regular characters that the math breaks down (i.e. an ascended tier 3 guardsman has better stats and gear than a regular tier 3 tactical marine). How true has that been for people running it? Is there any fix you've found if so?

So if you were to roll a brand new tier 2 archetype, you start with 200xp to pay for it. The cost of the archetype is exactly the cost of the attributes + skills and 10xp for the archetype ability. All of the gear is free.

When you ascend from a tier 1 archetype to a tier 2 archetype, you start with the 100xp which you spend the exact same way, buy your archetype and get the archetype ability + all of your attributes and and skills. Over the course of your sessions you'll accumulate wealth (yay), xp (yay) and corruption (uh oh) once you've accumulated 80xp, you'll be rank 3 and you can choose to ascend. There is NO additional cost when you choose a new tier 2 archetype, you just choose the new archetype and the only requirement is that you meet the attribute and skill floor of that Archetype as if you were just buying it straight at tier 2. All of the gear is free and you keep everything you already had, and you now have 2 archetype abilities even though you only "paid" for 1

If you were to start straight at tier 2, you'd miss out on a second archetype ability and any tier 1 gear (which you probably won't really use anymore anyway).

So to answer your question. I don't believe ascended characters are that much better. In any TTRPG campaign, obviously you're going to grow in power and it will be up to the DM to keep the challenge level to what everyone is happy with.