Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
In the DH and RT rules, at least, Ork weapons do automatically work a little better in Ork hands- typically they gain the Unreliable trait if a non-Ork uses them. They still work, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Into the Storm for Rogue Trader has rules for playing as Orks. It's meant for players who really really want to have a Freeboota on their crew, but there are enough options to fill out a whole Freebooter crew if need be. You'd have to adapt some stuff (like ship rules and the profit factor system), but you could use it as the basis for an Orky campaign.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Yeah. Sadly, Dark Eldar are one of those things that would be awesome until you realize where people would take it.

I'd be down for a Liesmith-run Dark Eldar game though. That's a very different thing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
:twisted: : Should any of you rebel, you will be tortured to death over the course of days! The rest of you will be armed and will fight for our amusement.

:confused: : Wait, aren't we already in the Imperial Guard?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
To be fair, if they were both 40k nerds, then that is perhaps the best prank in the history of nerds.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
The Xanthites: Change You Can't Believe In Or Even Know Is Possible.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Or grab Deathwatch and have the Marines be an alternate team of PCs for the players to use, if you think this can be done without them overshadowing their RT characters.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I seem to recall one of the Deathwatch books advising you that while allowing someone to play an Inquisitor is viable, their investigative skills would tend to overshadow the Space Marines in non-combat situations and generally just breeze through scenarios intended to be difficult mysteries for the Marines to solve.

I'm not sure why, but I found it quite amusing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Disciples of the Dark Gods has some excellent baddies that are fleshed out extensively to the point of being useable as the basis for entire campaigns, as well as a few things that can be used by both players and enemies (some Sorcery and Daemon Weapon rules that are also in the Radical's Handbook, some extra Psyker powers, and a few xenos items), and an adventure that is a prequel to the Haarlock trilogy. It's a great buy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Signal posted:

Blather

Blather is great, though. Granted, it's basically just Bluff with an emphasis on stalling for time, but in DH and RT that's a thing you want to do.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Probably true. I kind of imagine it was put there to depict an Adept who couldn't lie to save his life, but could bog matters down in technicalities without thinking twice.

That's kind of the same thinking that gave us Scum who can't learn Scrutiny no matter how high their rank. Because if there's one weakness of crime lords it's that they're easy to lie to, right?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Black Ships collect the tithe and head back all the way to Terra, so I would guess that their cargo would be in the hundreds of thousands if their holds are full.

The warding on a Black Ship is the strongest out there short of maybe something the Eldar could put together, but on the other hand the background for one of the adventures in Purge the Unclean involved a daemon manifesting inside one. So the wards are no more perfect than any other countermeasure against the warp. Also the wards are meant to deal with the psychic stresses that the cargo itself generates, which would normally be enough to transform a planet into a daemon world

Actually throwing some genuine Sorcerers and chaos rituals into that mix is way more than the countermeasures the ships have can necessarily handle. Or the Sorcerers for that matter.

Sounds like quite the rollercoaster ride.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Signal posted:

Keep in mind also that the Sisters of Silence are supposed to be crewing the Black Ships. It's basically a bunch of super-elite Sisters of Battle, only they're all psychic nulls, too.

As far as I know, that's more fan speculation than anything else. They aren't mentioned in many material after the Horus Heresy era.

It might be neat to have them show up though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Benagain posted:

Re: cryotech there are a few one off references to a different from the xeno one Cold Guild which operates in imperial space picking up exiled nobles and carrying them frozen in long slow journeys to the outer rim.

If I remember right, Hostile Acquisitions has rules for an upgrade that lets you put a portion of your crew into cryogenic storage as need be.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Trying to engineer the child is missing the point of how the Thorians think.

Thorians would be all about assuming that the child is already born or will be conceived by the Power of the Emperor and that he will be a Vessel for the Emperor. To a Thorian, the whole thing with the daemon prophecy is the Emperor's means of leading them to his Chosen Child in order to guide it to its destiny. Even defeating the Daemon is a secondary priority, the point is to recognize, nurture, and protect a manifestation of the Emperor.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Surprise is explicitly a matter of GM's discretion with some general guidelines, at least in the DH/RT rules.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Benagain posted:

So I was thinking about Space Marines and all the genetic modification and stuff and realized that if you made them a tad more androgynous you could have Space Marines be originally male or female but they've gone through so many bio-grafts, gene tweaks, and other assorted TECHNO SORCERY OF THE 41st AND A HALF MILLENIUM that not only are they unrecognizable it's essentially impossible to tell what gender they were even at a genetic level, they're just these gigantic hulks of flesh who've had all of their sex drive rewired into the "killing poo poo" areas of the brain.

I like the Sisters as-is. Other than that, I kind of assume that this is what a Space Marine already is. You could put a young enough woman through the process and the result would probably just be a Space Marine, which would also be his new gender and biological sex.

I also assume that GW doesn't come out and say that because it could cause their entire midwestern fanbase to either die of internal bleeding, or worse, develop even creepier fetishes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Making a psyker think he's a Khornate is probably like a rite of passage for a Lord of Change.

This is awesome and should be part of the plot.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which plot? There are countless plots. Plots within plots. False plots. True plots. Hidden plots... Deadly plots.

But don't get me wrong here. Everything was planned. This is just one of many endings none of which you survive in.

Have a nice day.

Oh don't mind me. Just practicing my Tzeenetchian betrayal speech for later.

Oh. Your tales still have endings?

No, no. Do go on. This moment is so very precious to me.

As if anyone gets to have a better speech than the Slaaneshi :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

CommissarMega posted:

How will that fly if a visiting Magos or Arbites Judge comes aboard for a surprise inspection? The strictures on creativity can't be too, well, strict, considering the bajillion patterns of lasguns and whatnot out there.

The Judge would be unlikely to personally have the expertise necessary to distinguish between the many, many versions of any given Imperial tech across time, various Forge Worlds and manufactory corps. If they already had reason to be suspicious, they might seize the weapon and turn it over to the Mechanicus or Department Munitorium for inspection.

A Magos would be very suspicious and would be "interested" in who performed the modifications and (if on the radical side of things) the tech being copied and the techniques used to adapt it. This interest would be very unpleasant unless the owner of the weapon had considerable leverage in the situation. If you do have the pull, responses might range from creation of a long-term enemy (from a zealous Magos) to an ally (from a radical, if provided with information about the weapon).

Rogue Traders often flaunt illegal technology to underscore to their special status, but sometimes make as many enemies as friends in the process.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

CommissarMega posted:

We're looking for an additional avenue for revenue (it's for an RT game), and we do know a few magi who have assisted us in related matters before; I'm hoping that between the political pull of an Inquisitor-turned-RT and a few magi we can get this thing into production, at least in enough numbers to equip a few squads.

On the downside is the fact that the entire reason the Inquisitor became a Rogue Trader is due to powerful political enemies exiling her, and said magi being under investigation themselves. The way I see it, if we can get a few lucrative contracts with other powerful RTs (even downgraded, counterfeit stuff is better, and far more expensive than regular Imperial tech) like Winterscale and the like, we should be safe. Kind of. No amount of profit will stop a Callidus, after all.

Sounds like a good campaign.

Keep in mind that this will be seen by the Inquisition and Arbites as part of the Cold Trade (trade in alien artifacts). The various similar criminal operations to yours of various scale that make up the Cold Trade (some of which are ran covertly by radical Rogue Traders, Inquisitors, and Magos as well) will see as a new operator as well, and will approach you as enemies or allies.

This only makes it more interesting, and will give your Rogue Trader an path to return to influence in the sector via influence with it's most sophisticated and powerful Radicals and criminals. The ones who are actually under investigation are the weakest links at crime of this level. The ones investigating them are just as likely Radicals themselves.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 24, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

CommissarMega posted:

That said, could it really be called Cold Trading if the weapons look Imperial on the outside and come with an official-looking AdMech Maintainence Manual™?

Yes, the alien technology is considered inherently unclean, in principle just as bad as a daemon weapon. Dressing up a daemon weapon as a Imperial relic might fool people too, but it doesn't make it less heretical. Even incorporating an alien part into a production line of otherwise Imperial weapons would be heresy, and no one will think a weapon with dramatically different operation from any they've seen isn't at least a little suspicious. Of course, some clients will need to be conned into believing just this (if you're willing to con entire PDFs and militias into heresy).

Likewise, selling fake alien relics and technology is punishable as if they were real.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Grant the rule that on burning a fate point in death, a player may choose to forgo survival to have the damage to the tank to cause a cataclysmic plasma rupture, with suitably messy results.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Now that Necrons have been retconned into being actually interesting, I'm looking forward to what FFG can do with them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Yeah. The Necrons now turned on the C'Tan shortly after they won their war with the Old Ones and either killed them or shattered them into controllable "fragments" when possible. The fragments aren't as god-like as the C'Tan were and don't have enough of their original essence to be truly self-aware, but like the Avatars of Khaine they are certainly able to bring the wrath of a god onto the battlefield.

The Necrons are now led by those members of their original nobility that were important enough to retain their individuality. These are split into various factions with their own agendas, as well as a few which are entirely insane. So you now have Necron units with unique personalities, abilities, and goals.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 16, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I kind of don't like how often stuff on daemons has tended towards just rehashing the baseline lesser, beasts, and Greater Daemons of each Chaos God in the more recent FFG releases. They're fine in their own right and would have to be there even if they weren't, it's just that expanding the universe is what I find interesting about DH/etc and nothing feels less like "chaos" than every daemon ever seemingly being a rank-and-file example of one of a set number of ranks in the army of one of the precisely four gods of chaos.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
There is an Unarmed line of Talents in Rogue Trader. I think they max out at allowing Unarmed attacks to not be primitive. That isn't all that spectacular in comparison to an actual weapon, but in theory it could allow you to punch through a tank.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
The nature of the setting is such that the available technology for life-extension probably varies greatly from sector to sector. Not to mention cultural and environmental factors (nobles who smoke Totally Not Tobacco probably still cut down their potential lifespan by doing so) and wild cards like exotic plants with life-extending properties or whathaveyou.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Well, as I recall, the final encounter isn't meant to be solved with outright combat (although it can be pretty easily by a mix-maxed character). Aren't there some combat-oriented NPCs that are supposed to die? Increasing their presence and giving the PCs a squad of loyal Imperial underlings from the temple that the story revolves around could help ease the combat and give them the feeling of having some actual authority in the situation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Liesmith posted:

I hope that it dies to a lictor and then all the tyranids from that hive fleet start getting more and more ursine

Hive Fleet Shardik?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I mainly think of Slaanesh as being about drugs and rock 'n roll. Maybe sex at first, but natural biological functions are just so vanilla, y'know?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I think there's rules for medicae tanks that speed up healing in the Inquisitor's Handbook. Or just guve him access to the equivalent of the Tech Priest talents that speed up healing (Autosanguine, I think).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
There's another version of the Untouchable trait in the new Navis Primer for RT. It has some granularity so you can have more or less powerful Untouchables, all the way up to Pariahs.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
That sort of cost rarely works as a balance mechanism.

Most of the problems with Psykers in DH have to do with the powers being poorly balanced. The guy who wrote that section admitted this publicly, and also pointed out that he had made adjustments to several of the powers to address this which were not included in the final product. The biggest problem is actually healing, however- Biomancy Psykers poo poo all over the system's healing mechanics at whim.

Later products added to this, at least in my opinion, by adding Minor Powers (easily acquired powers that belong to no specific discipline) that would be questionable even as Major Powers with their target numbers increased two to three times over.

Some of the problems are related to scaling that shows up in Ascension as well. Having a ranged power that cannot be dodged derive it's number of hits, chance to hit, and damage bonus from Willpower makes some sense when a PC is going to have a Willpower bonus of 7 tops (which is still broken but no less than a well min-maxed Assassin). No so much when they can get Unnatural Willpower.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
One of the Rogue Trader books is set on a Maiden World and has defending Wraithguards and Craftworld Eldar showing up to claim the place.

If you want to make DH more survivable, start the party at Rank 4, make sure they have access to background and alternative rank material from The Inquisitor's Handbook, and let them know it's okay to optimize for combat.

Also let them have better gear than the core book would imply. The stuff on incomes is groggy simulationist poo poo that is there for 'verisimilitude' and which the developers assumed would be ignored. (Also about half the income brackets can be bypassed just by taking a profession skill). Hand out the level of gear you think they need to have a decent shot at living. If there are going to be Bloodletters, let them have some Holy poo poo, even if its straight up divine intervention. Better yet, let their Priest get some Faith talents.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 16, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
As I said earlier in the thread, the DH income rules are a clusterfuck and were meant as simulationism, not something that should guide what gear your PCs have access to.

Also, critfishing is only a combat shotgun away, even in DH. There is also a sawed-off shotgun (basically) in the Inquisitor's Handbook :allears:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
As I also mentioned, if they really have to, any Trade or Perform skill automatically bumps a PC out of the worst income brackets.

quote:

I've always treated the income as pure spending money, all living expenses/transport/etc are paid for.

There are actually rules in the IH for lodgings and the cost of interplanetary travel, though. The point isn't that you need to scrape up months of income just to rot in the hold of a pilgrim ship (which is what the boil down to), it's that your Inquisitor is providing you with resources far beyond your character's wildest dreams just by getting you to the job. I can see the use of the income rules for Ranks 1-3, when you still haven't proven yourself more useful than the next handful of random people pulled off the street, though. Once you've got a Bolt Pistol, all the income rules are telling you is that you can't afford to use this poo poo on your own.

(Also the rules flat out tell you that your character will probably get bonus pay for earning medals and moving up the ranks in the Guard or whatever organization they are part of in their day job. But it doesn't tell you how much, and it's pretty silly to imagine a crime lord or a Magos actually getting nothing but the petty pay increases dictated by the income chart.)

edit:

quote:

Depends what type of experience you run your game as. If your running the survival horror type of game where the players used as much as canaries as actual investigation teams (given how terrible starting characters can be it seems to support that), the emphasis on random stats etc the game has more in common with Paranoia than say D&D (to use a very broad comparison). Giving the players scraps for them to try and claw their way to survival, running from the demonic abominations in the dark they are sent to investigate really works well.

Sure, but that boils down to saying that you're meant to adjust access to gear to reflect the type of game you are running- which I think is the case. The income rules might work as bare-bones minimums if you want that, but they function better as flavour than actual rules.

(I actually think that a bunch of the rules in DH are meant to create that sort of game, but only up to Rank 4 or so.)

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 19, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
To make this a proper exorcism, the PC's should demonstrate that the Emperor is, in fact, more metal than Chaos. Potential song names include "10,000 Year Throne of Pain" and "Kneel Before the Corpse-God."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

MaliciousOnion posted:

There's rules for creating daemon weapons in Black Crusade (and maybe another book) but that's about it.

Also The Radical's Handbook. And I think some basic ones in Disciples of the Dark Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
They aren't demons per se, but psykers who become warp gates in a literal sense are usually the beginnings of an Enslaver plague. I think Creatures Anathema had the details, and even if you go with daemons instead you should get some cool ideas.