Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ufarn posted:

Can someone explain why DRAM Calculator seems to barely require anything for jumping from 3200 MHz to 3600 on my G.Skill RAM? For some reason, it seems to require less than the 3333 overclock.

Only thing that goes up significantly is SOC voltage from 1.0125 to 0.05V.

Is there any reason not to try this (aside from it appearing to be too good to be true?

The current 3200 SAFE profile works just fine, even though I don't think I specified the manual voltages since my RAM is 1.35V by default.

Reading this, G.Skill does seem to overclock pretty well. Maybe the trick is to click in multiples of 400 or something, but that's beyond my understanding.
Samsung b-die is good yeah. I don't know why 3333 would be different than 3600 but it is largely anecdotal-aggregation based afaik, of which DRAM Calc is actually great for because it's almost all absed on samsung b-die examples of which most people do 3600/3733/3800/etc. No reason not to try it, worst case is you have to do a CMOS reset which isn't a big deal, use a paper clip or pull the battery. Sometimes mobos have BIOS reset buttons or somethings they auto-reset after 2 boot-up failures. Not really much skin off your back just always make sure to backup your current "safe" mobo settings so you don't have to re-enter them by hand. Y ou aren't going to fry anything, the "danger-zone" for voltages is like DRAM Voltage >1.45 (more realistically like 1.5+) and VSOCs of like 1.15V+. Looks entirely reasonable and not too good to the true.

And in addition GSKILL Samsung B-die is a very popular ram that a lot of people have OC'ed. You can take a look at the Zen3 DRAM OC spreadsheet and see what others with your ram are doing with voltages/frequency/timings/etc. Of course half the fun is pushing each particular sillicon lottery up there so maybe don't use the BEST you see because it may not work - so maybe choose something lower-to-middle of the pack to start with. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dsu9K1Nt_7apHBdiy0MWVPcYjf6nOlr9CtkkfN78tSo/edit#gid=321590489 You can filter by RAM type or something close that matches yours. It's populated virtually by any Samsung B-die which doesnt matter much if it's GSKILLZ or Patriot or TeamViper RAM.

Btw there's no real reason to black out the memory, it's just a model number. I think you have this ram so someone else has like these results for example;

The bottom of the two examples is probably a little more relevant because it's only 3733 and also running at VSOC of ~1.05v whereas the upper one pushes it up to 3800 which is entirely possible but probably more MOBO depdent for success >3733. Not that you necessarily need to copy it, but should give you a feel for various timings/voltages/etc. You can achieve quite a lot with relatively modest voltage increases for b-die like the bottom example has.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU