Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The NH-D15 is also reasonably quiet. As long as you can fit it, it's one of those things that I think most people are happy they spent the money on. Considering at this point you can reasonably run a CPU for 5+ years without really needing an upgrade, spending an extra $40 or so bucks on a cooler makes a lot of sense.

Plus it was the nicest unboxing of a freaking CPU cooler I've ever experienced, and you cannot put a price on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

headcase posted:

Hey y'all I want to run something by you. I am getting BSODs at a very specific time, but otherwise good stability. I have a very conservative OC of an 8700 -- basically defaults on my asus strix mid tier motherboard, but I did go through the exercise of bringing the voltage down and testing stability under load. The default seemed like overkill.

My OS hangs up after I exit a graphics intensive game. I could play for hours without issue, but maybe once per week it hangs when I exit overwatch or borderlands. The error that gets logged is about a USB device not handling a low power state.

I was thinking the error might be related to my CPU or some component not getting enough voltage when it cycles down rapidly from a load.

Any thoughts on this? The machine has been running great for 2 years, and this only started 3 months ago. I upgraded my video card and it was doing this before and after the video card upgrade.

Maybe try doing a full DDU GPU driver uninstall. CPU OC seems like an unlikely culprit to me, though power supply is a good guess. How old is your PSU? Is it a decent one?

You try doing things like look for BIOS and MB driver updates?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

Did you disable the speed-step option in BIOS? Maybe enabled Load-Line Calibration? There's a setting for this I just can't remember the exact name off the top of my head.. It might even be your windows power plan. Make sure it's not set to Performance

Yeah, windows power plan would be my guess.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm surprised the bus clocks that high on the that era of i7 but I never really did much OC'ing on those.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if I am screwing something up; should I lower the bus clock or something?

If it works and especially if someone else suggested it it's probably fine. Just a heads up on later architectures you usually don't touch FSB at all but I just don't remember if that was common. If you are having stability problems that is probably where I'd say to start clocking down, but if your stability is fine then you're fine.

Is the only benefit some modest energy savings? Normally I'd be all over that but it's a MAME cabinet; I turn it on maybe an hour a week.

Energy savings, heat, and wear and tear. I'd agree to try to turn them on and see if things work fine. Those settings (especially on older archs) can sometimes cause stability problems, but if they don't it's all benefit especially for an OC'd system. Not a big deal for a Mame cabinet that gets turned off though, but still heat savings help.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sorry if it's a stupid question but is FSB the BCLK?

For overclocking terms yes. There is some distinction if you are talking about architecture that I'm probably violating.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dogen posted:

It was very common back in the olden days, and if you couldn't set memory speed different to your FSB you had to have fast memory, which is what I think Chumbawumba was faintly remembering. This BIOS has a different DRAM setting so it doesn't matter.

I'd turn on C-state stuff to see if it fucks anything up, and if it does just forget it since as you said your low use case means it doesn't make a big difference.

Yeah, I used to do OCing on PIII and P4 days when the FSB was the only option, but I thought the i-series did away with that for the most part. I didn't do any OCing with Generation 1 of the core series so I was just surprised FSB OCing was so prevalent then.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kerosene19 posted:

I could also see the lights in my office start to flicker with the power draw... lol

I really hope this was hyperbole

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Get a new power strip. If you are seeing dimming that means you are not getting enough power to your lamp, which means you are not getting enough power to your PSU. It might be fine right now, but if your voltages go too low you risk a brown out which can take components out.

The fact that your power strip isn't tripping it's breaker is enough of a reason already to replace it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How are temps without avx2? While those instructions aren't rare it's not like anything is going to run then down that pipeline for minutes at a time, full throttle.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What MB do you have? AUTO setting generally sucked during that era, set poo poo manually.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you go back into BIOS are your settings still there? What did you change?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also looks like there was a BIOS update 6 weeks ago or so that addressed "stability" which could include a LLC bug. May be a good idea to run through and update bios/chipset drivers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1. Asus's voltage readers weren't great in that generation. I think you'll see a fair bit of fluctuation regardless.

2. The CPU will use more voltage under load, so if your load is fluctuating (a CPU that old using Windows 10 will probably be fluctuating just sitting at the desktop) then thats normal. Pushing the CPU to 100% then watching voltage is a better option (though see #1).

quote:

Another setting in DIGI + VRM > is "CPU Load-line Calibration" which I've changed from auto to 50%, is that a factor too?

Dunno if you caught VelociBacon but "Load-line Calibration" is LLC. Personally, a CPU that old I'd probably be pretty aggressive with the LLC if your seeing stability issues. With that cooler you should be able to handle some heat. I'd set that to 100% and get everything working, then decide if you want to back it off/lower your voltage.

4. Again, on a CPU that old I think you'll need to push more power to keep it stable if you intend to use it under appreciable loads. I'd feel ok with a 1.3v CPU core to if you say you're seeing crashes. Temp is probably not a big deal yet if it's getting over 80C, we can back off later once things are stable.

Basically, I assume this isn't a daily driver so I'd take a more aggressive approach than I would have if this was a new CPU. My trusty 2500k can't hit the same numbers it did a decade ago either, so your target of 45x (which while reasonable) may be harder than it was.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've had C-states break on me when I'm pushing to the absolute limit but I've been mostly keeping my stuff at a "moderate" everyday OC and C-states work fine then.

I agree its pretty low priority though.

Xerxes17 posted:

Thanks for the further details, on point 3 I understood that but I included the full name just to be sure :) The desktop is my daily machine, so I don't want to be super aggressive on it. On the point of longevity, this system did sit totally unused for 3 years and I didn't overclock it before so it should be doing okay.

None of the advice is really going to hurt the processor. Basically, its lived this long an extra .1v isn't going to be what knocks it over the edge.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Tarkov is also REALLY CPU intensive in general, and not particularly well optimized. Have you tried it on stock speeds? It may give you trouble there too.

If it works in stock, yeah try bumping the voltage or LLC curve. Tarkov might be one of those outlier games where you need to switch a profile to play. It happens.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I think at this point he should leave his LLC where it is and just adjust voltage. If he's near max on voltage and bumps his LLC up we don't know if it would be way too high at the CPU.

Sandybridge was pretty resilient. The 3000 a bit less so than the 2000 but you'd really have to try to go too far. I was under the impression he was still at 50%, but if he's at 75% then yeah I'd probably tweak the voltage or just downclock for Tarkov if everything else is working well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mid 60s under load seems fine. Do a CPU stress test. Are you saying your other friend isn't going above 40C under load? That seems ridiculously low. Either he is reading the wrong temp (most likely) or there's a problem with the sensor.

I'm betting he's looking at MB temp instead of CPU temp.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I'd leave the overclock up and look for an AVX modifier in bios nearby where you can tell it to downclock by xMhz when performing avx instruction sets. That way you retain the benefits of the otherwise stable OC.

I don't think those existed for the 3000 generation. That was a 7000/8000 thing I think.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

39C in memtest seems really good to me. So I think your doing better than fine, no reason to think something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How does Duke3d run?