Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Splash Damage posted:

I don't understand a word you've posted. How would I go about overclocking an ATi Radeon 4800HD just a little bit, to get consistent 30fps in BF3?
4800 what? 4830? 4850? 4870? 4890? There are substantial performance differences between them which will dictate whether or not what you want to do is possible. In addition, I believe the 4890 has more overclocking headroom than the others.

Agreed posted:

maybe consider a 560 Ti if you can budget it
A 560ti is the last card I would recommend to someone looking for BF3 performance unless they finally fixed the awful triangular artifacting?

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

So it's summertime, at it looks as though the thermal performance of my overclock, which I set up last summer, has gotten quite a bit worse - Last year I was under 72C during IBT in ambient temperatures up to 95F, now anything 85f for ambient temperatures is pushing me up to 78C on my hottest cores. My case is relatively dust free.

I'm thinking maybe I should try reseating my heatsink and re-applying paste. I guess these things can dry out over a year? Other than that I'm out of ideas. In the meantime I've dropped my clockspeeds back to stock and undervolted the poo poo out of my 2500K.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

grumperfish posted:

TIM usually won't dry out that quickly. Did you increase the voltage at some point in the last year? You may want to reseat just to verify though.

Nah, voltage hasn't been touched, been running offset of -0.045 for a core voltage of 1.24 in the BIOS. I guess I'll just reapply paste when I get a new video card (I'm dumb and buy things I don't need, 670, here I come)!