Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
So is there anyway using afterburner to unlock the core/memory clock further? I seem to have gotten my 6870 pretty easily up to 1000 core and 1250 memory with a slight increase in voltage. But thats as far as i can go with afterburner right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Dogen posted:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

This explains how to go past the official limits. May or may not work.

It did, thanks.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Dogen posted:

Cool. It's weird those limits are set so low; my 580 is tagged to go up to 1500, as though it could ever get that high.

Sadly it seems like 1k core clock is its wall anyways, even increasing the voltage a bunch it still gets some artifacting. At these numbers its already on par performance wise with a stock 6950 anyways so im pretty happy with it.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Dogen posted:

Well my boss got a kill a watt for work and I tested my overclocked 580 GTX/2500k setup to see how much of my 1000 watts of platinum power are being used under a full load of crysis 2.

The answer is, about 400, or a good chunk less than half. Intelburntest, runs about 215. Full system idles at about 95. At least the fan never comes on, I guess. Impulse buys :sigh:

Never read hardware review sites late at night while on cold medicine.

Also an interesting note, the dynamic VRM phase turning off dealie that came with this video card actually does save about 4 watts of power, I just assumed it was negligible.

Seems like you need to get a 2nd 580 to make some use of that insane PSU.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Picked up a sapphire 7950 oc edition with the dual fan cooler after the price drops. Good lord does this thing overclock well, sitting at a 1150 core 1450 memory overclock. The base core clock on normal 7950s is 800 so a 350 increase is pretty nuts. Haven't gotten to test it a ton but it seems perfectly stable testing with furmark and playing Crysis 2 for a bit. Cooler is also amazing, card idles at like 30c and hits a max of 70 in furmark. While being very quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Speaking of those brackets, I lost the 2nd set that came with mine when I moved. Is it possible to get them separately?