Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm having some overclocking issues. I have a i7-875k Lynnfield on an Asus P7P55D-E Pro cooled by a Hyper 212. Stock it is 133 backclock with a 22 multiplier for 2.93 ghz.

I haven't overclocked before so I used Asus TurboEvo auto tuning which attained a stable 153 backclock with the stock 22 multiplier for 3.37 ghz at 1.18 V. It has been rock solid for months with low heat but it's a really low overclock. I bumped the multiplier to 24 for 153*24=3.67 ghz but heat was unacceptable,

I decided to drop back to the stock 133 backclock and work with the multiplier. I bumped the multiplier to 22 with +9 turbo for 4.12 ghz. The overclock seemed rock solid stability wise but I screwed up the offset voltage and accidentally bumped peak voltage to 1.4 V with 90 degree temps with IBT.

I dropped back down to 3.99 ghz (133*(22+8)) with an offset voltage +.00625. (+0 offet was unstable) Core voltages were around 1.31 V so within safety margins but IBT was getting temps in the mid-80s.

I dropped to (133*(22+6))=3.72 ghz with offset voltage set to auto and was getting mid 70s with Prime95 but low 80s with IBT. Core Voltage was hovering around 1.25-1.27 or so.

I finally dropped all the way to (133.75*(22+5))=3.61 ghz at 1.216 or so. Prime95 stays in low to mid 70s. IBT hits 80 peak but usually stays within high 70s. In the interests of CPU safety I'm staying at this level.

Should I be getting this kind of thermal performance at these voltages. The temps seem really high for the speeds and voltages. Maybe I need to reseat the cooler. How sensitive is Lynnfield to heat? I use my computer for video editing, motion graphics, rendering so I can be running my computer with 4 cores and 8 thread for many hours at 80%+ load.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
IBT is a peak of 80 with temps is high 70s.
1 hour of Prime95 gives me mid 70s with some peaks of high 70s
A video render with a lot of computation intensive plug ins gives me peak of 72 with temps varying in general between 63-71.

So from a practical perspective I don't think I'll exceed 72 but it does concern me that Prime95 is too high. With a 875k and Hyper 212, I know others have gotten stable 3.9-4.1 ghz oc with safe temps on air. I can get a stable 4.1 but not at any temps I would regard as safe.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ok I think I've figured out the issue. Voltages and stability are good so it looks more like a heatsink issue. I am using a fan bracket model Hyper 212+. There is a slight gap between the frame of the fan and the top of the heatsink. Air is hitting the heatsink and rather than being driven through the fins it is following the path of least resistance and shooting straight up through the gap between then top of the fan and the heatsink so the amount of airflow across the heatsink is way less. Any suggestions?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Solved my issue! The Hyper 212 was completely clogged with dust between the fan and the heatsink. 133.75 backclock * 27 multiplier = 3.611 ghz with Prime95 = 1.22 V and 61 degrees. A drop of 10-15 degrees, just by dusting my heatsink. Holy cow. Don't forget to dust betwen your heatsink and the fan. The rest of the interior was hardly dusty at all so I did not expect a dust issue but that's what it was.

EDIT: Got a safe stable 4.0 ghz overclock. Will dial it back a bit for extra safety margin but pretty happy.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 24, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

So dialed it back to 3.88 ghz at 1.22 V and its running Prime95 at 65 degrees peak in Core 0 with constant temps from 58-62. Even IBT is running in the mid 60s. Lots of safety headroom. Can run 4.0-4.1 safely but want to leave some safety margin.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 24, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

If you're looking at an Ivy Bridge overclock it might be worth paying extra for a cooling solution like the Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Normally the $90 would be too much for most but it's been reviewed really well and I've seen at least one preliminary test have showing a big different in 3570K cooling.

http://www.hitechlegion.com/forum?task=viewtopic&pid=36340

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm definitely not suggesting that the Phanteks is the only solution. The reviews I've seen of the NH-D14 versus the PH-TC14PE on Sandy Bridge are pretty even but mostly that you may want a bit more cooling than a Hyper 212 Evo if you're going Ivy Bridge.