Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I made this dumb post about overclocking my i7 920 back in the old thread, and it was suggested that maybe the problems I was having with stability were a result of poor cooling. I installed a Coolermaster 212+ Evo and my temps at load dropped from 83 to 68, give or take a couple of degrees. I used the same settings and ran Prime 95, but the stress test only lasted 30 minutes before it bluescreened out. At least, that's what I'm thinking is going on based on the HWiNFO64 log.

My Dumb Butt posted:

Settings are as follows:

AI Tweaker
code:
AI Overclock Tuner: [X.M.P.] (Profile #1)
Profile Info: 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-2N-1.65V-1.2V
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
BCLK Frequency: 180
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1443MHz
UCLK Frequency: 2887MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: 6496MT/s

CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.96
QPI?DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.66
DRAM DATA Ref Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM CTRL Ref Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA Ref Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM CTRL Ref Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA Ref Voltage on CHC: Auto
DRAM CTRL Ref Voltage on CHC: Auto
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew: Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Advanced
code:
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
C1E Support: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
MPS and ACPI MADT Ordering: Modern Ordering
Intel Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel HT Technology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intel Speedstep: Disabled
Intel C-STATE: Disabled
DRAM Timing Control
code:
1st Information: 9-9-9-24-5-74-11-7-20-0
DRAM CAS# Latency: 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM REF Cycle Time: Auto
DRAM WRITE Recovery Time: Auto
DRAM READ to PRE Time: Auto
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: Auto
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay: Auto
2nd Information: 2N-58-60-62
DRAM Timing Mod: 2N
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC: Auto
3rd Information: 5-5-16-10-10-11-7-6-4-7-7-4
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(SR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay(DD): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay(DR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay(SR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay(DD): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay(DR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay(SR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay(DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay(DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay(SR): Auto
Power
code:
Suspend Mode: Auto
Repost Video on S3 Resume: Yes
ACPI 2.0 Support: Enabled
ACPI APIC Support: Enabled
I'm including everything because I don't want to provide too little information. I have a feeling that the issue is right under my nose, but I'm too dumb/distracted to figure it out.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to make this 3.6Ghz overclock work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

grumperfish posted:

Your BIOS settings look alot better now, and temperatures are in check at least.

What BSOD code are you getting? Check the event log in Windows for critical errors/restarts.
E: Have you run memtest to verify that your RAM is OK at stock settings?

I never thought that maybe the RAM was what was loving up. I'll run memtest when I get home. I'll also run Prime95 again until a bluescreen pops up and write down the BSOD code.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I never thought that maybe the RAM was what was loving up. I'll run memtest when I get home.

So here is what Memtest 86+ v4.20 came up with:

I'm guessing this is good, which leads me to guess that I'm hosed as far as a potential overclock is concerned. Right?

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 12, 2012

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

grumperfish posted:

In BIOS, disable turbo to keep the multiplier at a specific setting. I think from your list it's: "CPU Ratio Setting: Auto"

What should I set it to? There was a guide that you had linked me that suggested 15, but when I tried that, the system didn't boot.

grumperfish posted:

Check the Windows Event Log for the BSOD codes, so we can rule out harddrive failures, etc.
The closest thing I could find was this:
code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000019, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff88002f64180, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

grumperfish posted:

more :words:
Will do.

grumperfish posted:

Since you have 6 RAM modules running, try reverting to just 3 modules in parallel when you're going through the guide. It's possible that your CPU's IMC is having trouble with 6 modules & overclocking.
What would happen if I tried to re-insert the other three after getting everything situated?

grumperfish posted:

If your board supports saving separate OC profiles, save one before clearing CMOS/reverting to stock. Worst-case, you recorded the values on the last page to work with.
I'll see if there's a way to do that.

grumperfish posted:

What motherboard are you using by the way? I think it was listed at one point but no idea where that post is.
ASUS P6T (non-deluxe)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I kept reading that my i7's stepping (C0) requires more voltage on average than a D0 stepping would, so I kept those previous settings, only I bumped the Vcore up to 1.4. I'm stress testing it now, and it's hovering around 83° C, which leads me to think that I should maybe keep the voltage at 1.375-ish and settle for 3.4Ghz instead of the current 3.6. Thoughts?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I ended up scaling back to 3.36 Ghz instead of 3.6. Load temps are around 65 with prime95's max heat setting. I'll leave Prime95 on overnight to make sure that it's stable enough. The vcore is at 1.25 I believe. I really hope this poo poo works out, because I'm kind of tired of dealing with this bullshit.

It figures I'd get the (apparently) solitary 920 that can't do 4Ghz on air. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
The 3.36Ghz overclock lasted throughout the night, so I've got something good going here, I think.

Dogen posted:

Well "air" is a relative term, what kind of cooler do you have?

grumperfish posted:

3.4ghz is pretty low for 1.35V. Even with a C0 chip, you shouldn't really hit any limits until up to ~3.8ghz.

What cooler are you using? It really sounds like you've either got insufficient cooling or something's not mounted correctly.

I'm using a recently installed Hyper 212+ Evo with Arctic Silver. I believe it's mounted correctly, but I suppose it could not be, and I wouldn't know the difference unless it was totally hosed and not dissipating ANY heat. Temps were at 65 max on Prime95's max heat max power test last night.