Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Moving my post from the parts megathread to here because it's more relevant to here. :)

I'm pondering switching from a stock i5-760 to an i5-3570K to overclock it. Problem is, I'm reaching concerning temperatures off of stress tests already. Thinking of maybe swapping my case, as there's no dust filters on the top fan or back fan (or the expansion slot covers for that matter), and I've noticed a little bit of buildup on the heatsink fins.

Using an Antec P183, stock cooler (maaaybe with the stock thermal pad, maybe Arctic). Used to get >72C measurements during heavy game loads.

Cleaned out front air filters, upped speed on P183 fans to medium. Tested with OCCT, using the Small Data Set OCCT burn test.

Didn't break 72 degrees in all of 10 minutes, which is a definite improvement of last time (where I was breaking it with Battlefield 3). One concern that I have is Battlefield 3 often loads the computer just as hard as the burn test (which could be a hot graphics card contributing to the heat in the CPU sink - the P183 doesn't have a side fan). Don't know if what my CPU fan is doing is normal though...

Is there something I need to change in my BIOS to get the fan behaving properly, or is that fan working as intended?

I've got a Hyper 212+ EVO sitting in my bedroom but I'm not that keen on installing it if IVB is coming around the corner and I have to do it all again.

Should upgrading two generations to IVB and installing a 212 be enough for viable overclocking when I'm almost edging the limit as it is already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Was my fan behaving properly under that load? Do I need to worry at all about that?

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

How important is it to cover the entire CPU with thermal paste? I didn't think it was at all (as you only really needed to cover the centre) - is that right?

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

What's more important, the temperature as given by the BIOS or by programs like OCCT? The BIOS temperature seems rather high for what it's doing (i.e. sitting on BIOS).

I'll give context, stock cooler BIOS spat out 50C, EVO cooler BIOS spat out 37.5C. This is presumably unloaded, because it's on BIOS, right?

OCCT reports for each:

Stock cooler:

EVO cooler:

This is for an i5-760 on stock speeds. Would I be okay to start overclocking? I'm not too sure what's the best way to do it for a Lynnfield processor.

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 8, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

I'm having trouble finding the definitive limits for Lynnfield (i5 760). I've got a Vcore limit of 1.4 (I believe), not too sure what the temperature limit is. Multipliers are unlocked but I don't know if I'm expected to play with the BCLK at all...

e: Apparently BCLK can affect a bunch of other parts of the computer thanks to QPI so I'll start with tweaking the multiplier. I'm not aware of the 'hard limit' on temperature though.

e: Turns out I can only change the multiplier to one above the default (22 x 133MHz = 2.93GHz). Looks like I'll be tweaking clocks!

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 9, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

grumperfish posted:

I'd suggest ignoring the turbo (+1x) multiplier setting, as it will make overclocking your chip more difficult initially.

Temperature limits are similar to SB chips, in that you'll want to stay around 72C at highest (Prime95) whereas you can allow higher temperatures in max IntelBurnTest, up to ~80C at the maximum limit. It'll never get that hot during normal use, however it's fine to go up to that temperature as long as voltage isn't too crazy for testing-only. Technically you could take it up to 90C+, however you won't be pushing enough voltage through it even up to 1.4V for it to get that warm in IBT.

With your CPU, you'll be overclocking primarily via the BCLK, and RAM/QPI/etc speeds will be adjusted with multipliers. RAM should stay at or below the modules' rated speeds. You'll want to keep an eye on VTT voltage as it should be no more than .5V below RAM voltage (so if your RAM is 1.65V sticks, VTT voltage would need to be at least 1.15V). For nehalem/lynnfield chips, 1.2V to 1.3V is usually safe, although your chip may need higher voltage. I'd aim for 1.3V or lower as any increase in VTT voltage will increase CPU temperatures as well.

QPI speeds don't really need to be super-high as it won't increase performance, so going beyond ~6.4ghz is pointless (so a 32x multiplier for QPI at 200mhz BCLK = 6.4ghz which is more than enough bandwidth).

If your board supports uncore frequency changes, keep the uncore ratio at 2X RAM speed (so if you have 1600mhz RAM you'd need an uncore frequency of at least 3200mhz), but try to keep uncore at or below 3700mhz as it'll get unstable the higher you go beyond 3600mhz depending on the board. Uncore frequencies will likely limit you before your CPU unless your board allows for a high BCLK. If you're using 2000mhz RAM you're going to have a hard time running it at full speed, although there's few benefits from faster than 1600mhz, so don't worry about it and run it slower.

Check out this guide here for your chip:
http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-lynnfield/

Read the first few pages to understand the steps, and when doing the BCLK isolation stage, try to get your BCLK as high as it'll go without getting unstable, then back it down a few mhz from that speed.

Thanks for the link, last successful stress test was on BCLK=160 (using IBT 'High' 10 times), now I'm getting BSODs and warnings from IBT at 170. I've got the CPU offset voltage at .025V. From the last OC megathread here apparently BSODs are indicative of a memory instability (which may be true as BCLK alters that too I believe) but I wouldn't know where to start making memory more stable. For the meantime I'm staying with BCLK=160 but is there anything I can or should do to push it further?

e: I'm using 1.5V 1600MHz RAM. I can't seem to find the PTT/QPI voltage, just these:

-Vcore
-IMC
-CPU PLL
-PCH
-DRAM
-DRAM DATA REF on CH A
-DRAM DATA REF on CH B

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 9, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

grumperfish posted:

What was the BSOD code, and what voltage does that offset give you in BIOS? Make sure you've set your RAM speed & voltage manually, and that you've got uncore high enough for the RAM speed. Manually set your VTT/QPI voltage rather than leaving it on auto.

The BSOD code is important as windows7/vista will give specific ones like xx124 that indicate that CPU voltage is too low (particularly if you're getting IBT warnings).

Sorry, didn't recover the BSOD code. I'll stress test it again to see if it'll shoot one off again.

I can set DRAM voltage manually but I can't find the VTT/QPI voltage. I made an edit to my previous post.

e: It just passed the Standard x 5 test, so you could very well be right about it just being insufficient Vcore. It's sitting on ~1.2V now, only keen to push it a little bit further as the temps are poking at ~70C. Although I've heard Lynnfields are more tolerant of high temps than Sandy Bridge.

I don't need to worry about overclocking memory, right, because the BCLK/QPI does that already and even then performance doesn't change that dramatically, right?

Current settings are BCLK=175 x 22 = 3.84GHz, looks like it's going to be stable.

Multiplier's on x22, IMC and DRAM voltages still on Auto. Should they be changed? I'm having trouble finding the voltage they're currently sitting on. In your guide the multiplier was brought down to x15 (as was the memory multiplier) and the BCLK was raised even higher, where the IMC voltage was adjusted instead of Vcore.

Is there any advantage to doing it this way?

e: Getting the occasional bounce down from my current frequency (~3.9GHz) to about 1.6GHz every now and then during IBT. Also the Linpack outputs seem to take a little bit longer. Is this okay?

e: Now I'm getting STOP code 0x00000101 - "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Vcore issue, give it a little more. You might have to back off a bit if you can't get it stable.

I was sitting on about ~1.3V but I don't feel too confident lifting it up any further, the place I'll be using the machine doesn't have great ventilation, and the temperature during Prime95 was looking close to the limit.

Currently 24hr testing 3.9GHz overclock.

Oh hey while I'm here I'll ask, does that '200hrs to cure' poo poo about Arctic Silver 5 hold any water, or is it a load of poo poo? I'm getting good performance already but if I have to wait a week or two to get the most out of it I might take another crack at lifting the voltage later.

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 9, 2012