Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spunkshui posted:

Oh I know.

I paid for the second kit and I'm running at the speeds of the first kit with 1.35625 volts to make the error go away.

No errors at all but also no noticeable changes in performance which is why I never really played with ram before but ASUS is taking their sweet loving time with the ROG 3080 and I want to make lines go up.

If it isn't a different chip (ie Samsung-B vs Micron-E) then you're paying for the time they spent sorting through the chips to find the best ones that'll pass whatever standards there are for the listed QVLs. You just got lucky buying the second one and just happened to get chips that might've qualified for the first SKU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The ryzen DRAM calculator is only going to be more aggressive with timings than XMP. The worst that can happen when messing with timing and speed is that your computer won’t post and you’ll need to reset your bios’s config to get back to stock timings. Don’t worry about miskeying anything there. All you have to lose is time.

Voltage can actually kill components but it is very unlikely until you’re doing truly ridiculous things like 1.6V+. General recommendation for DDR4 is up to 1.45V is safe for normal 24/7 stuff.

All that said, if it’s on the QVL and the XMP profile doesn’t work you should return the RAM. It doesn’t work as advertised.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’ve definitely seen memtest86 throw it’s first error on an OC after hour 23 of a 24 hour stability check. I’ve backed off every more aggressive timing than xmp I’ve tried on my current system because of that (r5 3600x, x570, 4x8gb micron-e die at 3600mhz/cl16)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Primary timings are excellent (cl14), secondaries are kinda wacky (tRFC and tFAW) but I wouldn’t touch it.

If that’s truly stable I bet that kit could go over 4000mhz easy. Kinda wild they sold it as 3000 cl16 which is kinda garbage.