Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Quicksync encoding is fine if you're going to watch it on portable device where you're limited by HW decoding capabilities or you need it done fast but it can't compare to CPU encoders like x264 at in terms of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

coffeetable posted:

Thanks for the reassurance :). In that case, I think a stock Arc Midi would suit my needs fine. Having said that,

Christ almighty. It's without a doubt massive overkill - 8kg, £50 and likely ten litres more than I need - but I'm still mighty tempted. How many cable extensions would you guys recommend, were I to take the silly-daft-monolith route?

Got a week to think all this over either way. Cheers for the advice all :)

Define XL is a really amazing case if you're like me and have a lot of HDDs. I have 7 HDDs and the case is completely silent under normal use. Plus it's really quality built, weighs a ton though.

Fractal Design customer support is amazing too. I broke the front audio jacks by stepping on the cable so i contacted them about buying a replacement, they told me to give them my address and shipped it with priority mail across Europe for free.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Here's my Photozoom data:

i7-2600k @ 4.2ghz = 25sec
i7-2600k @ 4.2ghz + GTX 660Ti = 9sec

Mayne fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 26, 2013

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

I'm having issues with my i5 6600k overclocking on my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Ranger motherboard.

From what i read everywhere I should use adaptive voltage and set the maximum voltage there but I tried to set the turbo voltage maximum on my ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger to 1.28V but it doesn't work, it just blows past it to like 1.45V at load which is insane for 4.2ghz.

Here are my settings:

Here's the actual voltage during stress test:

Mayne fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 1, 2015

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

I did, changed offset to -0.001 to see if it works, also changed LLC to level5 instead of auto.

The result :stonk::

For now i'll keep using Offset mode with -0.1V set, during x264 testing i get 1.25Vcore and about 45C temps and 1.28Vcore/57C max on Prime95 28.7 small FTT test.

Mayne fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 2, 2015

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

I'm using adaptive voltage set to 1.28V with LLC4 on my 4.5Ghz 6700k & ASUS MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER, perfectly stable, goes to max 1.292V on load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

RME posted:

i was convinced to relook at my OC and try and get better results
even at 1.375 volts i cant get my 6600k stable at 4.4, the second core just fails instantly on prime95, but the other three seem to chug along fine
looking at thermals they seem fine, theres a very rare spike into low 70s on one core, but it keeps 50s-60s

is it safe to push voltage higher? is there something I could be missing? or did i really just get the bad silicon lottery draw

Probably just bad luck at silicon lottery. I had same thing happen with my i5-6600k, needed 1.35V for 4.2ghz stable. I exchanged it for i7-6700k that does 4.5Ghz at 1.28V