Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

Agreed posted:

Kepler can't come soon enough. Wait is killing me. I've given up on moderation, I'm going to buy a high end part when it launches if it manages a substantial performance increase over ATI's 7970 so I can put the 580 in my backup machine to give its CUDA a serious kick in the rear, and nVidia doesn't usually launch the GTX 4/5/670 until they've got some less than ideal chips to make them with in quantity so top dollar and top end it will be.

I'm just going to throw this out there but doesn't Maxwell come out in 2013? I might just wait till then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Full load the 7950 should be cooler than the 7970, I think it should be in the high 70s when overclocked. I think around those temps fan noise shouldn't be an issue.

The 7970 under full load and OC'd got around 81C+, so I'm not sure how good of a marker that is to increase the voltage on your card.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

I hope this is the right thread for it, I think it is since it has to do with OC'ing. To those that have EVGA Precision, is it standard to uninstall the old version and then do a fresh install with the new version. Or can I just install the newest version of the program and have it override the old?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Agreed posted:

Install it over the old one, it's safe. I've never tried the other way, perhaps it's the same, but for sure installing it on top of the existing version it'll maintain custom fan/voltage/OC profiles.

Ok great that's exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Alright guys, after reading this quote from a Maximus IV review:

quote:

The BIOS has a nifty "Load Extreme Overclock Profile" setting which allowed us to easily push the 2600K to 4.6GHz with a 1833MHz / 1.65v RAM speed / voltage with Auto voltages set doing nothing but tweaking the processor multiplier. OS would load but it did not like the memory speed under load, so I pushed the memory back to 1600MHz. From there I pushed the CPU farther to 4.9GHz but it required me bumping the vCore to 1.44v manually. As noted this was done with only the tweaking outlined here.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/09/28/asus_maximus_iv_extreme_motherboard_review/7

I know it's [H] but if the above is true I can just punch in 46 in the CPU Ratio and don't even mess with the voltages? We talked about this before were passed 43x, the voltage needs to be adjusted to get it higher. However with reading the above, then I can just leave things at auto?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

I gotcha. I didn't think they manually changed the voltages until they hit 4.9Ghz. Of course that RAM voltage is stupid.

I think I'm going to give 45x a go, follow your guide and run it through IBT and Prime95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Dogen posted:

Just to bring this thread back to life, I just installed a Seasonic Platinum 1000.

Upgrading from a Corsair AX850.

I think I have a problem :ohdear:

I have the same Seasonic PSU. What's the problem?