Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Agreed posted:

Stability test the stock setup first. There is nothing more frustrating than doing everything right while overclocking your computer and getting endless blue screens, failed tests, etc. - only to drop it all back to stock, run the same tests, and it turns out you've got a bum stick of RAM, or the processor's defective and won't run at stock clocks.

Step zero of overclocking is do everything you would do to test the stability of an overclock to your stock-settings assembled computer.

Quick list (you don't get the joys of using the computer during this period but you can either have your cake or eat it, and it's a good idea to make sure the cake isn't spoiled first):

Memtest 86+, at least one full iteration but preferably a few. You want to work the integrated memory controller, the motherboard's pathways to the RAM, and of course the RAM itself. If you get errors, consider a slight bump to RAM voltage. If it's still unstable, slight voltage bump (as in, one increment, two max) to VCCIO. If you still get errors, probably bad RAM.

Prime95 in admin mode, blend, for a first-go to establish stability I would say a solid 24 hour run isn't overkill. You're trying to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the basis of your system from which you'll be overclocking is stable. 9 hour or 12 hour Prime95 runs are fine for a lot of stuff, but you want ultimate confidence here, so let it roll.

I guess you could test with IntelBurnTest, but that seems really silly for establishing stock performance. That is, after all, the "quick check" of overclocking - 10-20 Standard stress runs in admin mode will usually let you know if your processor's thermal performance is acceptable at the clock and voltage, and 2-3 runs in Maximum stress gives the whole processor&RAM interface a nice workout without cooking your stuff, ideally. But it's a tool to save time later, for a base system stability confirmation you should stick to the golden tools above and ignore the shortcut tools like IBT or OCCT.

Thank you so much for this... I was about to make a post asking for a step-by-step process for making sure everything was good to go before I began thinking about OCing my new system, and this seems to be the thing.

One question: everyone in the world (by which I mean the new system thread) seems to be buying ASUS Z77 boards and I'm the only dummy who bought the MSI Z77A-G45... am I going to be able to OC using this as easily/stably as the ASUS boards and is there a good tutorial for its BIOS I should look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Factory Factory posted:

That particular board has a weaker VRM design. Overclocker-type boards are the -GDxx models. With it, you may have to settle for a lower frequency, but maybe also not if you're overclocking Ivy Bridge and end up temperature-limited.

Bah, no one alerted me to this problem with the board when I asked for a check in the system building thread.

But I am going to be running a 3570K on it, so... would you advise me to just stick with the G45 or get an ASUS P8Z77-V LK or bump up to something like the GD55? I'll end up eating something like $20 in the process, but price of learning I suppose.

[edit] I got a Hyper 212 EVO so I planned on OCing a fair bit.

vvv Thanks! vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 3, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I OCed my system using MSI's 1-click OCGenie2...

Does this look fine?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 8, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I see a few voltage options in my BIOS, CPU Core Voltage and CPU I/O Voltage, which of these should I be adjusting? [click for big]

Also, how hot is too hot? My cores were getting up to 50~C in Portal 2 (I'm also running integrated graphics).

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 9, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Factory Factory posted:

Maybe you should just leave it be until you've got time to read through the OP and really dig into the nuts and bolts.

Sorry, I actually did read through it (several times actually) but it's all a little theoretical seeming for me... I do now see that it's CPU Core Voltage I'd be dealing with, per the OP; my apologies for asking something that was already spelled out.

---

I guess what wasn't (and still isn't) clear to me is the

1. Raise clock speed
2. Test stability
3. If stability test fails (usually the computer crashes), raise voltage
4. GOTO 1

process and you telling me that what my system was outputting at 4.2ghz was "way more voltage than it needs."

It seems (and I'm not trying to be obtuse or skirt reading the OP here, just trying to understand the process) that in addition to raising the clock speed, I'm also supposed to set an initial voltage other than "AUTO." What is a good voltage to begin with? In the OP, the hypothetical starting voltage was 1.0V...

When running my system with stock BIOS settings, I've been idling around 1.05~1.08V while running Prime 95 has pushed that to 1.1959V with temps ranging from 39~42C (my coolest core) to 54~57C (my hottest core). Would it be smart to set the Vcore to 1.2V, up the clock to 4.2, and then test Prime95 again... or should I be going even less on the Vcore?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ok, one more post from me (apologies for my annoyingness)...

Running a 3570K @ 4.2ghz and getting a Core Voltage in CPU-Z that jumps between 1.176 and 1.184V.
My temps in Real Temp seems to be hitting maximums of 51, 65, 61, and 59C.

Does all of this seem pretty safe and standard for this level of overclock? I'm flirting with going to 4.4 but will probably leave it here for the time being.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Dogen posted:

Temps seem a little high for that overclock

I have a Hyper 212 EVO installed... is it likely that I applied paste incorrectly, or is my silly case to blame?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Hiyoshi posted:

The most up-to-date version of HWiNFO64 is a very good monitor. The ASUS AI Suite may be accurate but it's a cumbersome pain in the rear end to use.

I used this, but it shows VID rather than Vcore... while HWiNFO64 was displaying my system at a VID of 1.27V, CPU-Z showed that my Core Voltage was 1.17V.

Per the OP, it seems that the Vcore number the the one to pay close attention to, unless I'm misunderstanding things.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Can anyone tell me why this is happening or if it makes any sense at all:

Running Prime95, my Vcore is around 1.17-1.18.
Idling, my Vcore is around 1.24.

What is happening? :psyduck:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 10, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ok, I honestly feel like a pathetic idiot here, but at least this is not related to my CPU anymore:

I'm trying to run GPU-Z and it gives me a "GPU-Z Video card Information utility has stopped working" prompt before it even starts... I've tried 0.6.2 through 0.5.7 and all of them present the same way.

I even tried the one built into ASUS' GPU Tweak and that hard froze my system.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 11, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Factory Factory posted:

I can't find anything about that by Googling. Do you have Catalyst 12.4 installed? Does that happen at stock clocks/voltages?

Even if your drivers are up to date, you might want to do a full reinstall of them. That's:

1) Uninstall drivers from add/remove programs
2) Reboot (do not skip this)
3) Run DriverSweeper
4) Reboot again
5) Install the drivers from a freshly-downloaded package
6) Reboot once more

Holy poo poo, I solved it myself! (I also Googled quite a lot and came up with nothing)

Solution: Uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver I'd been using, restart, and voila! Worked instantly.

[edit] Quick question... even though I enabled PCIE GEN3 in my BIOS, the bus interface in GPU-Z comes up as "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1"... running the render test changes it to "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 3.0" but restarting GPU-Z returns it to "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1" is this normal?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Alright, I'm back and I think that I'm finally getting the hang of this poo poo... but I still have a few quirks to clear out and it'd be cool if someone with a MSI board with Click BIOS II could help me out.

The reason being is that Click BIOS II does not seem to have offset voltage, instead it only offers constant voltage, so a lot of the advice I'm getting in here is not really applicable to me.

Here's where I stand now:

1. CPU is set to 4.2ghz
2. Core Voltage is set to 1.2V (though this can probably come down)
3. Vdroop is set to Level 2
4. Core OCP Expander is set to Enhanced

Everything else is unchanged.

The problem is that while I've gotten everything in the OS down below 1.2V, my problem is two-fold:

1. Temps are still peaking at mid-60s under load (for one core, all other cores are 55~60C)
2. I'm idling at 1.184V and using 1.160V under load... this is my biggest frustration, and I'd like some advice on what Vdroop setting I should use to make this thing idle at lower voltages.

Thanks.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 13, 2012