Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I know ASRock boards get mixed reviews around here, but this is what I own.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

I am going to buy an Evo 212 cooler soon and going to begin overclocking. I have updated my ASRock Bios to the current version and have had no problems whatsoever with the motherboard since I bought it last May.

Am I safe in assuming that I can go into the ASRock bios, click on the "Turbo 4.0GHz" setting, go to save and exit, and I will be safely overclocked? Am I going to have to change any voltage settings at all?

This is the BIOS, and it is set to "Turbo 4.6GHz." They have one for levels of 4.0, 4.2, 4.4, 4.6, 4.8 I believe. Also, I have an i5 2500k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dogen posted:

I would be wary about what other things that might change. It would probably be better to figure out where your CPU multiplier is and change that, since it has an auto voltage setting and all.

edit: wait, that voltage looks high. Unless it's the VID (a mistake I have made before). Also LLC should be off or level 1 or whatever. Maybe those are the settings it loads for that profile since you have it selected? I'd definitely avoid the overclocking profile stuff on that board, if those are the settings it is using.

The picture I posted is just a general screen-cap of what my BIOS looks like, not my own personal BIOS screen. Thanks for your input, I do have an in windows program that allows me to change the cpu multiplier which the motherboard also came with. Anyone else with any familiarity of the motherboard and/or ASRock Bios and overclocking?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a safe overclock. I hit 72C towards the end of the 5 run burn (on high) which is what I am worried a bit about. My vcore seems to be fine at 1.30 though. Any input from someone who knows more about overclocking than me?

i5-2500k with hyper 212 with push pull fans overclocked to 4.2GHz.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

grumperfish posted:

The 72C figure is the CPU package. Look at the core temperatures instead. You're fine so far, and cores can get up to ~80C in max IBT before you really need to be concerned as you won't see temperatures that high normally.

Thanks. I just played a few games with this OC and got nowhere near those temperatures. Obviously the burn stresses the system a lot harder than video games. Is it necessary to "burn" the system overnight to ensure stability? Or am I good where I'm at? Currently doing a "Very High" burn for 10 runs, maxing out around 72C on a couple cores and 1.32 on the vcore.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Agreed posted:

It's actually not a very good idea to keep using IBT once you've got past the initial stability testing. "Burning in" components isn't a concept that makes sense. They're transistors. Tiny little ones. They burn out, not burn in. CPUs become less stable over time when over-volted significantly (you're plenty in the clear for that, by the way, so don't fret, you will most likely have the same life expectancy for your 4.2GHz overclocked 2500K as someone who bought a 2500 non-K).

Switch to Prime95 for stability testing after you've passed the initial stress tests of IBT (for me, I consider that 10 runs of Very High, 2 runs of Maximum - that works your processor, the integrated memory controller, your RAM, and all the power delivery involved and is a pretty good quick stability check). Prime95 will run at safer temperatures and do complex workloads, but safe ones, that aren't intended to maximize the stress on your CPU but rather to sort of relentlessly check it over and over and over again until it comes back with a flawed calculation. It does so in a manner that is much more like ordinary calculations, and if you're at a safe voltage and have good heat removal, it should under no circumstances damage your CPU.

IBT can damage your CPU. Those tiny parts rely on other tiny parts (called 'bumps') to supply power, or current, or transfer information... And everything has a point at which you've overworked it and it's in danger of failing. IBT is for initial, quick evaluation. Prolonged usage is a poor idea. I think this is something that OCCT guys really miss the mark on with their long-term Linpack-based testing. You don't get anything more useful from trying to cook your components, stability can be assessed much more safely without long-term degradation symptoms showing up earlier because of over-stressing the hundreds of millions of 32nm transistors (in Sandy Bridge, anyway). People running extraordinary cooling and voltages past 1.4V who use excessive hardcore stress testing to "prove" their system are probably going to get to "enjoy" electromigration a hell of a lot earlier than the rest of us.

Thanks so much for this extremely informative post.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I believe this problem is related to overclocking. I have a 2500k with a hyper 212. I had it set to 4.2GHz and using it seemed perfectly fine, the temps were fine at load and everything. Here comes the problem, about an average of two to three times a week, I would come to my computer, move my mouse to get my displays back on, and nothing would happen. The computer is still on, but the display won't show up. I don't have my computer set to sleep or hibernate, just the displays turn off after 5 minutes. My screens never shut off while I am playing games/doing things on the computer, only when I come back to the computer later in the day or something. I set my BIOS/UEFI back to defaults and it seems to not happen anymore. Any suggestions? Am I overclocking wrong? I am just setting the multiplier to 42 and saving and exiting.

i5 2500k w/hyper 212
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
MSI 6950

Any help is appreciated, I'm probably doing something wrong.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I want to get my RAM to run at it's specified timings.

RAM: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306?Item=N82E16820232306

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix x470-i
CPU: 3700x

So, my computer won't post anything if I set the DOCP profile. I have to reset the bios by jumping the pins on the motherboard, I've tried it 3 times. So, I manually set the voltage to 1.3 and the RAM speed to 3600. Great! It posted. A week later my dumb self realized I forgot to set any of the timings manually, so while it was running at 3600... the timings were set to something like 25-25-25-35. So I go back into BIOS and manually set the timings to 16-16-16-35 and a 1.35v this time. It posts, no crashes, everything seems stable.

I haven't tried the 15-15-15-35 yet, but am going to this weekend. The only difference between these manual settings and the DOCP is the BCLK frequency. I currently have it set to auto, but the DOCP sets it to "100." I know nothing about BCLK, could that be causing the no post? Will I be safe to set the timings down to 15-15-15-35 and leave the BCLK at auto?

Does ASUS just need to update BIOS to make the DOCP stable?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Does yours cold boot correctly with manually entered timings?

Nope. I tried higher voltages, CL14 timings with a lower frequency, etc etc. Only thing I can get it to boot at is the 3600 CL16 1.35v. Which is fine I guess. Maybe ASUS will come out with a BIOS update that helps it run at the 15 DOCP. Oh well.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Does that thing make coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
When using DRAM Ryzen Calculator, are those pretty hard limits? I'm running at CL14 3466 stable right now (by using the ryzen calculator timings, RAM was rated for CL15 3600)

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306?Item=N82E16820232306

I'm just lazy and don't want to have to CMOS clear everything and re-type everything in if it won't boot trying to reach higher levels :v: