Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
So, after a long long time of being too lazy to upgrade my rig I've - thanks to the PC Building thread - now made the jump from my trusty Athlon64 3200+ (lol) to a shiny i5 3570K. After getting over the fact that my BIOS now has mouse, let alone friggin mousewheel support and seeing how these processors have good OC potential without having to gently caress with the FSB, I've decided to see what kind of extra performance I can reasonably squeeze out of the chip.

Long story short, I think I've been successful with it running at 4.4GHz, but have two questions:

1) One of the cores (#1) is under load consistently reporting 5-8°C higher temperatures than the others, e.g. max temps of 66-71-64-64 with Prime95, or 74-81-75-73 with IntelBurnTest. Is this normal (sensor inaccuracy), or did I do something wrong with the thermal paste (air bubble)? Cooler is a CM Hyper 212 EVO, btw. (Also, are you supposed to turn off fan control and let them go at full tilt when doing temperature tests, or just leave it on like I did?)

2) The voltage (VID) reading stumps me a bit as well. Originally I started out with a vcore offset of +0.065 which I've since reduced to +0.02 (haven't tried to put it back to stock yet), but regardless of that setting various tools (Core Temp, HWInfo64) report a VID of 1.1609v when running IntelBurnTest respectively 1.1459v for Prime95. Yet, even though the reported VID is exactly the same, I've noticed significantly reduced temperatures (~5°C) when running lower offset values. What the heck is going on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks, checking the Vcore reading in both CPU-Z and HWInfo64 it seems to be even lower than that at just 1.12v :)

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

amp281 posted:

You have a really good chip. Delid it and see if you can get 5ghz!
Yeah, I think I'll pass on that :). I'm very happy with the result so far and going any higher seems to very rapidly approach diminishing returns in regards to performance gain vs. voltage/heat increase and chip lifespan degradation (especially the very abrupt kind of degradation you experience when loving up the delidding). At one point earlier in my OC attempts I tried putting it to 4.5GHz @ +0.065v, but it froze the system shortly after loading Windows and I didn't want to bother investigating the cause (probably lack of voltage) when it seems to run perfectly fine at 4.4GHz with near stock voltage.

I'm also kinda concerned (though maybe unjustified?) about the VRMs on the motherboard since they have no heatsink and unlike the stock cooler the 212 EVO doesn't point at the mobo either, further reducing their cooling, so I'm glad if I can avoid pushing any more power through there.