Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I have an i7 2600k and an ASUS Sabertooth P67 board, with the turbo multiplier set to 43. All I want to know is if there is a point to adjust the TDP settings to have turbo running indefinitely as mentioned in the OP; is there some downside to having the CPU downclock itself to 1600MHz when in low use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

grumperfish posted:

The chip will downclock itself to 1600mhz when it doesn't need full power, and it will increase speeds per-core dynamically as needed. Dynamic overclocking will not affect stability or maximum overclocking or anything really, so there's no downsides to it. Unless you somehow count using less power to be a downside :psyduck:

Increasing the TDP levels will prevent the CPU from throttling at higher load, so it's not a bad idea to raise it, but you don't need it running at max overclock 24/7.

Grab HWiNFO64 and check the Summary window, and you'll be able to see it actively switching per-core speeds & voltage.

Alright thanks.

EDIT:
One more question: will the auto voltage setting on my motherboard ever set voltage above the 1.38V limit for Sandy Bridge if I OC (max I'd go is 4.5Ghz)? I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 fan installed instead of the stock, though I'd prefer not to have my CPU running with too much juice.

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 13, 2012

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

I've upped the Turbo clock of my 2600k to 4.3Ghz, but does it make a practical difference to change the settings so that Turbo is constantly enabled as the OP describes?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

I ran Prime95 for a while to test stability at 4.3Ghz, leaving voltage at auto (Asus P67 mobo) I hit a max temperature of 72 and VID of 1.3811v. Next I tried setting voltage to manual at 1.3v exactly, but this resulted in Windows 8 displaying a crash screen followed by a restart. Has anyone done a similar overclock, because I'd like to get an idea of what voltage/temperature I should expect at 100% load? I'm running all this with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu fan, by the way.

EDIT: Hmm, help me understand something here: according to CPU-Z, when I start a stress test my vcore decreases (below 1.3) as opposed to when it is idling. Why?

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 4, 2013

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

That sounds similar to my situation then, I just wanted to confirm that getting temperatures 70-75C wouldn't result in deterioration/damage to my CPU. I'll try upping the fan speed a little next time I load up BIOS and compare temperatures.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

z06ck posted:

Your CPU will throttle before that happens. Having too much core voltage will wreck your poo poo, though.

So I'll assume having a VID of 1.3811v is acceptable (though I've never seen actual vcore go above 1.38v during a stress test).

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Intel's specified maximum is 1.52V. It seems to be a popular opinion amongst Overclock.net users that you shouldn't go above 1.4V on air cooling, or 1.45V on water cooling.

Ideally, you do what you can while keeping it under 75C. 95C is the point where the CPU will actually throttle itself to prevent damage.

That's good to hear, thank you. Just one more thing then: what sense does it make that CPU-Z reports a lower vcore during 100% load (using Prime95) than when it is idle (~1.272v 100% vs. ~1.320v idle)? So far it has been stable at these settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

Alright, that sheds some light on what vdroop is, but what is the intuition of lowering voltage when the CPU needs it the most? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems counter-intuitive, I understand preventing turbo over voltage but not dropping below idle voltage.

On the side, I've managed to get a stable overclock at 4Ghz with a vdroop from ~1.26v to 1.2v during 100% load (funny enough I think this is below the auto settings I've ran with for over 2 years at stock speeds). I'll try fiddling some more with LLC and speed step later on.