Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a couple questions about overclocking my Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU lightly with AMD overdrive. Below are the specs as it stands now, I haven't changed anything.

As you can see it is currently at 3.2GHz with a Vcore of 1.35V. I have aftermarket air cooling and my CPU does not exceed 45C under full load.

From what I've read and seen online the process is to increase the core multiplier and run a stability test. If temperatures are ok and the stability test does not fail, increase the clock again. If the system becomes unstable, slightly raise the Vcore. Is that correct? I've seen similar builds get to 3.8GHz but I would be happy to see even 3.6GHz. I'm really just trying to not have to buy an intel chipset for a couple more months.

Is there anything you guys see in my hardware or plan that would be inadvisable for this kind of light OC? I know that the motherboard isn't built for OC like some are but I figured since I'm doing a software OC it shouldn't matter.

Another question - if I'm doing a stability test and it fails, and I restart, do I restart with the unstable CPU clock/voltage? Or does AMD overdrive reset to previous settings in the event of a crash? Thanks in advance.

E: If I'm already at 1.35V stock it seems I don't have much room to move? I'm guessing I still want to stay below 1.4V and really as low as possible.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm only speaking strictly from experience and what I've taught myself, but you should really get in the swing of doing your modifications from the BIOS instead. Software can be convenient but it may not always work, your mileage may vary and whatnot.

With aircooling I would not exceed more than 1.45V, perhaps even 1.5V. One of the big factors here is VRM quality and power phases. From what I'm finding about your particular motherboard it has been recommended to purchase an aftermarket cooling solution for the VRMs (yes, such a market exists) but you're in luck because Gigabyte makes quality VRMs compared to a few trashy MSI boards, one of which I had experience with and of course drove me crazy. Heat + AMD = not a very good result ever.

See how high you can get at only 1.4V and keep your temperatures below like 57C period. If the temperatures are too high, back off of the voltage and see if you can retain stability while dropping heat. If that doesn't work, you'll have to back off the clock and stop or go through the process again and see what you can do differently.

If the stability test fails I think it falls back to either a stock or last known good configuration. It's been a while since I overclocked a Phenom system, sorry. I would just skip that business and do stuff in the BIOS, then test with something like Prime95 instead.

Good luck!

p.s. as with any type of overclocking you run the risk of burning up a chip (not very probable unless you cross over into 1.6V territory on air...) and shortening its life of course. Take it easy, don't drive your head into the wall if it just doesn't go up anymore. Not all chips are cut equal. Also save up for an Intel system because when you make the jump goddamn you will notice the difference.

Thank you for the reply! I'm not super keen on heading into BIOS stuff at the moment because I have a little bit of a difficult time retaining the information about FSB, interaction with RAM, 9-9-9-3, timings, etc. I'd rather just slide the unlocked CPU a little higher with the software :v: I realise it's not considered as good a solution.

So far I'm at 3.6GHz with no increase in voltage and it hasn't crashed yet on the short stability tests I've ran. One thing though is after running a 3dMark benchmark I noticed this 6.0GHz reading in my HWiNFO64:

Is this just an erroneous reading or is my CPU getting some kind of spiking issue that I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance. Going to see where the limit is on stock voltage.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That could very well just be an error in the monitor/sensor due to overclock fuckery. I would give Core Temp a try and maybe even CPU-Z to see if you get more consistent results. Note that CPU-Z does not give a temperature readout, but it should accurately display (current) clock rate and voltage.

I just ran another stability test + 3dMark at 200MHz higher than when I got that 6GHz reading and it didn't show up again so I'm going to assume it was a one-off misread. I'm now about to test it at 4.0GHz, still on 1.35V and I'm sorta expecting it to be unstable at this point (stock is 3.2GHz 1.35V).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Well at this rate if you can keep going while staying down on stock voltage I'd say you've got quite the chip going for you! Just make sure that when you reach a point where the stability tests fail, you knock it back to the last stable clock rate and see how long that one lasts instead, before increasing voltage.

It did fine on the stability test + 3dMark, going to boot up some BF4 beta and thrash it for awhile. Tonight I'm going to be at a thanksgiving dinner (Canada) and then work so I was going to let it run stability tests through that time. Is prime95 the way to go?

I'm going to be amazed if it can run 4.02GHz on stock voltage with no issues. My CPU temps are still just under 50C at full load.

E: Nevermind, BF4 beta is down! alas.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Am I missing something? The OC is well on it's way to finishing an 8 hour stability test with no issues. It's an AOD OC of a phenom II x4 955 from 3.2GHz to 4GHz. I didn't have to adjust the voltage which strikes me as very strange because I've seen online other people having to bump their vcore up a bit to acheive 3.8GHz on the same chip. I am seeing significant increases in benchmarking utilities so I know that it's actually changing the CPU clock.

Is there this much variation chip-to-chip even within the same model?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I decided to man up and use BIOS instead of AMD overdrive since I wasn't getting it to save my clock on next-boot for some reason. I notice that when using the same multiplier to get my 4GHz it no longer throttles the CPU according to load, it just runs at 4GHz all the time. Is there a way around this in my BIOS? I tried disabling cool&quiet, made no difference as you'd expect.

Board is a Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3. Processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 955.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 21, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

You actually want to *enable* Cool'n'Quiet to get idle throttling.

It was enabled and it was still sticking to 4GHz.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Had prime95 running, went out to run some errands, came back and the computer was in sleep mode (3 hours later) and prime 95 had crashed. The computer came out of sleep mode normally and is running normally.

Is this indicative of the OC being unstable or did Prime95 just crash because the computer went to sleep?

E: So I found out that C&Q only works at 4GHz if you change the multiplier from overdrive. Doing it from BIOS gives you a limit of 3.8GHz for C&Q, anything higher and you're at max clock the whole time.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 22, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks! I don't suppose you (or anyone else, for that matter) would happen to know of a site that shows something like a bell curve for overclocking results with various cards? Just curious what target I should be aiming for -- I have no idea if this card maxes out around 1050 or 1400 core, so a general reference would be nice :)

If they're anything like CPU's you apparantly see a great deal of variation from chip to chip, even within the same model.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been happily (stabily?) using the below setup that I OC'd from stock since around October 2013ish. I've had the CPU for 2-4 years prior to that. With the mobo I'm using I couldn't get the CPU to throttle with load with an OC from BIOS so I've been using AMD Overdrive to software OC the CPU thus far. It's all air cooled and the CPU never gets any hotter than 60C under full load. It's been fully tested with prime95 and others for 24hrs+.

Stock clock is 3.2 at vcore of 1.35
OC to: 4.0 at vcore of 1.375

Lately I've been having the issue of the OC not being in place occasionally when I boot. I'm not sure why this is. I've also noticed that when I reset the OC and restart, in the last month or so it's been crashing (very very rarely and only when OC). I'm using the same vcore and clock as I always have been and never had any issues. Is my chip just getting old and ornery?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some coolers come with something put on them initially that seems like a firmer compound than the thermal paste we put on the CPU die. It's probably that way because it doesn't have to spread out - comes at a set thickness in a perfect square.

Try tossing the cooler in the oven (low temp obviously) and then taking it out and carefully trying to remove that poo poo?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

The cooler master 212 evo won't fit my my case. What's the next best thing around the same price point? I want to do basic over clocking with my i5 4690k.

With that case you might be alright with a corsair h50.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sh4 posted:

My GTX970 G1 is limited by voltage, can't push the core past 1583 Mhz, I'm ready to reflash but what would be a decent Vcore limit ?

What software are you using to OC? I think only going +0.12mv is what is recommended right now for those cards. On EVGA precision it will only allow that much overvolting for that chipset I think and unless you're watercooling it you'll have thermal throttling before you need more voltage anyways. What have you done to your memory clock?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone know the recommended max temps/vcore acceptable for Phenom ii x4 series chips? I've got a fantastic 955 chip which is running 4.0Ghz at 1.375v (stock is 3.2Ghz at 1.350v), around low 50's Celsius under full load. I'm reading that I can safely go up to 1.5v but that seems a bit high, or maybe I'm used to intel chips. Replacing everything soon and going to push for benchmarks.

Sh4 posted:

Have the following power curve, Vcore is hard capped at 1.2620 V, I'm a long way from the thermal limit as the card never go past 69°C. Memory is at 3800 Mhz, didn't try to max it yet, working on core for now. Not sure what +0.12mw means since the hundreds of models seems to have different voltage curves

I think for that card you'll just have to change base clock and go from there, EVGA precision has a handy offset slider that would work well. At the end of the day these new nvidia cards seem to throttle themselves even when temps are fine.

E: for those interested (in ancient processors I guess) I found the recommended max vcore for the deneb phenom ii chips is 1.5v. Able to get a stable 4.1ghz at 1.425, peak temps at 53C. Apparently around 59C people see a lot of instability.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 19, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mazz posted:

So I recently picked up a 212 EVO to be used with my 3570k on a gigabyte Z77X-U3DH. I've been running it at the stock 3.4/3.8 with the stock cooler (no heat issues I've noted while checking occasionally). I decided recently to see about OCing to the 4.2-4.5ghz range, along with buying some newer, non-1.65v RAM so I could stick with it for another year or 2.

I've looked over the OP and some decent tutorials, but I'm a little lost with the different BIOS settings and just being completely new to this. I'd like to maintain the clock scaling element as mentioned in the OP but it's not really well laid out anywhere, and it seems like just upping the mulitplier won't do that, unless I'm misunderstanding. I'm also a little confused on the voltage settings and how that's all handled. This is mostly concerning because I've seen that 1. the gigabyte AUTO setting can push it pretty high (1.3+), and 2. IB doesn't like going that high without getting really loving hot.

I guess the better question is can anyone point me to or write me out babby's first guide for dealing with this UEFI?

Here's a good youtube video of the Z77X UEFI for more specific information (although with a 3770 mounted).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpI7SMGRVU
I can also try to get some other photos of it if needed. Sidenote, The RAM I bought was 2x8G Mushkin Stealth DD3L, currently running at 1.35v/1600mhz through the XMP profile.

With your processor you want to aim for a Vcore of under 1.300v, and temps under load of <75C (up to 80C would likely be fine but under 75C is safe).

Basically you'll want to go into your BIOS, find where your multiplier is, and where your CPU Vcore setting is. A good place to start might be to set your vcore to MANUAL so that you can find some stable settings without the mobo modifying your vcore to unsafe levels. Set that vcore to 1.2v to start. So:

1) Set Vcore to 1.2v
2) Set Multiplier to give you a final ghz of 3.8, which is the highest you have at present and is 'stock'.
3) Run your stability testing software, record the values. CHECK YOUR TEMPS AND VCORE
4) If temps are ok and the system is stable with your testing, go back to BIOS, increase your multiplier to give you +0.1ghz and do another run of software stability testing.
5) If it is stable at this increased clock, and the temps are still ok, go back to BIOS and increase it again until you hit instability. If you hit temp limits but it's not crashing, that's the overclock limit of your build.
-> If your software tests are crashing the pc or software, it's not stable, go back to BIOS and increase your vcore by 0.010v increments until it is stable or your temps are too high, in which case back off the clock to the last stable clock with allowable temps.

Sort of a simplified list but that's where I would start. I'm not super familiar with your chip or BIOS.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Double posting with a question a day or so later: is there really no way to set an adaptive vcore ceiling on ASUS UEFI motherboards? I've dialed in my stable overclock (4.7ghz @1.220v on air, 4790k on a Maximus vii Hero) but adaptive keeps raising my vcore to 1.240v regardless of what I set. I'm on the latest bios.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you both for the replies. I don't want to run a constant voltage for a couple reasons, not the least being that I shouldn't have to do that on a board that cost me around $300 CAD after tax. I guess it's a good time to learn about LLC. I'll post back with the results of this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can anyone confirm that with ASUS z97 boards, the "VIN4" voltage measurement is the actual vCore? I don't have easy to access multimeter points on my mobo.

My build is an i7 4790k overclocked lightly to 4.6ghz at 1.210v with an ASUS Maximus VII Hero board. Cooled with a 212EVO with an extra fan for push/pull.

Reason I ask - with a manual voltage and c-states/speedstep enabled, I get the expected 0.02v->1.23v displaying on the VIN4 heading. I'm guessing the extra 0.020v is just fluctuation or LLC or something, you can see it in the voltage graph on the OCCT capture below (I've left my LLC to auto). I'm not too concerned because it's still a low voltage and it's stable.

My Vcore seems to be displaying my actual voltage supplied to VRM (1.86v). This label scared the poo poo out of me for a second until I figured out what it was actually measuring. My VID I'm not sure what the gently caress it's measuring since it's not throttling down but it's reading my manually set max voltage. I expect it's picking this value up from BIOS somewhere.

Can anyone confirm these suspicions, that VIN4 is my actual CPU core voltage?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sh4 posted:

Pretty sure it's not, that 0.02V reading is way too low, I'd say "VCORE" is your Vcore

If my vcore was 1.86v I don't think my computer would run long enough to make the thread I made! I agree 0.02v is low and it's weird that HWmonitor is showing 0.02v and OCCT is showing 0.16v. I have heard that haswell processors run super low resting voltages though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sh4 posted:

Well, to be sure set your Vcore to offset and then compare with VID

edit: would also advise against auto LLC

When I alter the CPU voltage settings the VIN4 behaves exactly like CPU vcore should behave. I agree about LLC. I guess I'll play with that next, is the idea to use the lowest stable LLC level?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I'd check the voltages with HWInfo and compare. We don't have the same board but my Asus Z87-A seems to show around the same voltage as my CPU voltage listed as VCore0 through VCore3 in the motherboard sensors. Maybe they're for each core or something, but they bip and bop around about the same as what the CPU package lists for it's cores (listed as Core #0 VID through Core #3 VID).

CPU:

motherboard:

I actually can't use hwinfo, I'm not sure if it's windows 8.1 or the Asus EC stuff or what but running it bluescreens my computer. I figured I just needed to update the drivers since it's a new build and did that but I'm still having the same problem. A fair number of people online are also having this issue. I used hwinfo on previous builds and I miss it.

e:

Here's another 4790K guy with an ASUS board, I stole this from another forum. This is on stock BIOS settings, and looks the same as my setup.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 13, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sh4 posted:

Agreed but I still can't believe the vcore can go below 0.1V haswell or not, something fishy with this board sensors I guess. As for LLC I'd for High setting, it minimizes Vdrop without increasing the voltage too much

I'm not at home but I think my LLC options are numbered 1-8. Thanks for the info.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mazz posted:

I'd definitely try another program just to see because it does seem like weird sensors, see if the values change spots or anything at least.

I'm stoked - managed to get HWinfo64 up and stable with an older version - 4.64.

Everything looks good!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Has anyone done any benchmarking on win 10 vs win 7 now? Anything interesting happen? I've heard win 10 reserves some resources for it's own means but that was anecdotal from some guy at work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Just got my 6700k overclocked to 4.7ghz stable at 1.3v on a 120mm closed loop cooler.

Here's a screenshot on my 5760x3240 screen:

Hey, questions though:

1) I set the voltage manually to 1.3v in the bios, but HWMonitor shows it going as high as 1.391 volts, what's up with that?

2) The cores stay at just below 4700mhz at all times, even if no programs are running. Isn't it supposed to SpeedStep or something? The CPU can go down to idle percentages and the temps stay low when nothing is running, but the clocks stay around 4689mhz.

Hwinfo64 displays it's labels improperly with some builds including my 4790k on asus maximus VII Hero. I just found the voltage that was fluctuating with my C-states and monitor that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You gotta do at least 30min stress tests IMO. More if you're being stringent.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

For only 5-10% increase that’s going to be super unstable. I think the 9600->9800 involved desoldering a pin or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think prime85 is not considered a good/safe testing tool these days. I’d use OCCT.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That seems fine and isn’t too bad a temp, what do you get with other games?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Multi-core enhancements tends to shove a metric fucktonne (this is a scientific term, I assure you) of voltage where said fucktonne of voltage is not necessarily required. If you force an all-core turbo clock speed yourself and lower the voltages to wherever it's stable at you'll get better temperatures at the expense of spending more time on it.

Just to add to this, an easy way to do this while retaining c-state stuff is to just use a voltage offset. Just keep pushing it lower and play quick play or whatever in Overwatch to stress test it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carecat posted:

I was having excessive temperatures on my stock 8700K on the Asus Prime A. The fans would spin up doing mundane stuff like downloading through Steam. Idle temperatures were fine so I looked into it and it seemed like the automatic voltages were cranking the Vcore way too high, peaking in the mid 1.4 and usually past 1.35. After screwing with the settings I set a manual of 1.25 and the difference is enormous. It's shaved about 30% off the temperatures. IntelBurnTest would hit 96c on the high setting, now it hits 71c. It's sitting at 1.248 Vcore.

Only problem is I don't know how to do this in a way that drops Vcore when not under load. I think I want adaptive but when I tried that it was still way too high. This motherboard has VID and LLC options, I think it's ignoring VID in manual, I put LLC on level 2 but I'm not sure if it's doing anything, lowest Vcore recorded is 1.136 so I think I might want to bump it up? No stability issues yet.

I had this problem and ended up using offset setting. Make sure c states are enabled also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carecat posted:

As far as I know they are on. Didn't touch any of those settings, wherever they are hidden.

I tried Adaptive which did drop the Vcore in idle but it kept cranking it up to 1.4 even if the Turbo target was 1.2 and offset was 0.001, which for some reason is the minimum outside the mysterious "Auto". I don't know if that was related to VID, maybe I need to change VID from auto to disabled.

Offset sounds like it's slightly inferior to Adaptive but I might have to take it if I can't figure out how to get adaptive to do anything useful.

Honestly offset solved my problems 100%. I wasn't hoping to use it either but it works great. As far as I can tell it's only affecting the max vcore, it's super stable, I'm happy.

e: Just set the offset negative to whatever amount to drop the vcore to 1.25 under load if that's what you found works well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Buildzoid was also not so hot on P95 in one of his videos, he uses an hour of Intel Burn Test. If it’s good enough for that guy, it’s good enough for me.

But holy poo poo do some people defend P95 to the death. Like, okay, enjoy possibly degrading components during your stability test.

I'm also not someone who is willing to run the extra voltage if the options are:

a) stable in every real world situation
b) stable in every real world situation and also stable in synthetic benchmarks

If it means I'm running more than 0.2v more I'm not really keen on it. Give me the lower temps instead pls.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

headcase posted:

What is the favored monitoring tool now? I read the OP, but still found lots of discrepant opinions on temp/voltage accuracy and spyware addons.

I'm looking for something that is free, lightweight, honest, doesn't send telemetry to a server.

I would just use the Asus tools, but they were making unwanted settings changes.

HWiNFO64 by a huge margin is the best.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

headcase posted:

Wow. That sensor list is overwhelming and cool to see.

Right click—> hide

e: Just got my 980ti Hybrid back from EVGA RMA. I bought it used on amazon probably was a miner card and they still RMA'd it no problem when I started to have artifacting. EVGA are legends. Time to see how this one overclocks.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 28, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sounds like a bad connection. Don't you have to modify the mounting pins (whatever it is you screw down to hold the cooler on) when you delid to account for the lower height? I think some cooling solutions have something built in where the bolts or screws stop at a certain point that is supposed to position the cooler right at the perfect tension on the heat spreader.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

I went through this exact process with the same symptoms on a 7700k I delidded. I thought I hosed up the delid, redid it, and it turns out the brand new Corsair H-series was empty. Strapped a Evo 212 on it and it was fine.

Wouldn't you know immediately when it's empty because the pump would scream like a banshee?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Alright, so I've got myself an 8700K on an Asus Z370I, and it's been pretty straightforward overclocking. I just want to check to make sure these numbers seem alright:

4.8GHz overclock at 1.280v (Adaptive) in BIOS.
CPU-Z reports the voltage at 1.264v under load.
HWMonitor shows the max VCORE as 1.280v, and the max VID as 1.295v.
Temps under my typical load (games, for the most part) are in the upper-60s to upper-70s, with a fairly aggressive fan curve. Cooler is a Corsair H100i.

I could probably push to 4.9 or 5GHz, right? Right now I'm just giving this particular clock some time, as I want to see how stable it is under real-world use. It seems perfectly stable, currently.

The numbers look good? I'm not killing it with voltage and whatnot?

Looks alright, if it's stable there start bumping clock speed until you reach instability. Apparently that chip is fine under 1.35v so I'd guess temp is going to limit you first.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The problem is, compared to what I've seen of modern boards (particularly watching Ryzen OC vids), the tuner panel for my old motherboard has so many options that even a detailed guide can't help but be intimidating, doesn't have a big obvious "core ratio" entry like a modern ASrock or something would, and as I mentioned is subtly cranking other options. In my case, I just had Turbo set to By All Cores, but left the manual entry at the Auto (stock) setting, and it was applying a higher voltage than setting the Turbo switch to Auto (aka defaults/not-overclocking) and getting the same numbers for performance. :shrug:

Some of that is on the shoulders of another default(?), which is the one that sets CPU voltage to Offset Mode and sets the offset to auto, so cranking up the cores would "helpfully" apply even more voltage.

I think what I would have to do is set Turbo back to By All Cores and set the multiplier there, then set the voltage to Manual Mode and specifying a voltage. And then praying I didn't gently caress anything up. I guess if you can't tell from this post, I've absorbed a lot of information about overclocking, but I'm scared to dip my toes in because (A) my board's long list of options intimidates me, and (B) I can't really afford to lose this CPU.

There’s nothing to be scared of. Your bios might look complicated but all you really have to change is your multiplier and vcore unless you want to get fully autistic like the rest of us. Just set a manual vcore if your board allows it to scale down when idle, or an offset/adaptive to get it where you want and play with the multiplier until you find something stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've actually been able to cut from stock voltage with an overclock to 4.6 on a 4790k so I think it's worth cutting voltage at non-boost clocks but it's definitely more effort.