Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Regarding RAM overclocking, got a GeIL 32G kit to run with an asus x570 and 5600x, initially D.O.C.P set it to 3000mhz CL16-18-18 1.35V.

went into the bios to set the auto overclocking for the cpu after getting a better cooler and thought hmm why not also just set MCLK/FCLK to 3600/1800 and let everything else go auto on ram to see what happens.

Apparently it's undervolting to 1.2V and running at the set frequency, i've noticed no instability and computing workloads seem to have had a slight boost

decode-dimms spits this out in linux

code:
---=== Timing Parameters ===---
Minimum Cycle Time (tCKmin)                      0.938 ns
Maximum Cycle Time (tCKmax)                      1.500 ns
Minimum CAS Latency Time (tAA)                   14.061 ns
Minimum RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD)                  14.061 ns
Minimum Row Precharge Delay (tRP)                14.061 ns
Minimum Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS)         33.000 ns
Minimum Active to Auto-Refresh Delay (tRC)       47.061 ns
Minimum Recovery Delay (tRFC1)                   550.000 ns
Minimum Recovery Delay (tRFC2)                   350.000 ns
Minimum Recovery Delay (tRFC4)                   260.000 ns
Minimum Four Activate Window Delay (tFAW)        21.000 ns
Minimum Row Active to Row Active Delay (tRRD_S)  2.950 ns
Minimum Row Active to Row Active Delay (tRRD_L)  4.925 ns
Minimum CAS to CAS Delay (tCCD_L)                4.875 ns
Minimum Write Recovery Time (tWR)                15.000 ns
Minimum Write to Read Time (tWTR_S)              2.500 ns
Minimum Write to Read Time (tWTR_L)              7.500 ns
I'm really dumb and haven't overclocked for years, are these good enough timings? Everything's running smooth at the set frequency now, seems like diminishing returns trying to go manually mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

hobbesmaster posted:

Primary timings are excellent (cl14), secondaries are kinda wacky (tRFC and tFAW) but I wouldn’t touch it.

If that’s truly stable I bet that kit could go over 4000mhz easy. Kinda wild they sold it as 3000 cl16 which is kinda garbage.

Went to look again at the spec sheet for this kit (GeIL Orion AMD ed.) and no CL14 anywhere.

I guess the silicon lottery paid out, funny enough since i got it from a stock clearing sale.

Wasn't there something about ryzen infinity fabric being bad over 4000mhz? Next time im in the mood to gently caress around with it for fun i'll try going higher, but right now it's stable as a rock, thanks magic AI.