Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

owls or something posted:

1.32v for 5GHz is great. I think people generally are using close to 1.40v or so for 5GHz clocks on Coffee Lakes. The 1344 min/max in Prime95 is a good quick check if you run it for 30 minutes or so. Ideally you'll want to to run the full set of 8K through 4094K for about 24 hours if you really want to be sure.

Yep, running the full test now. Small FFT wasn't bad, temps stayed around 82C, delidded with a Dark Rock Pro 4. That's ok right?

Should I have messed with AVX at all? I see offsets mentioned all the time but I didn't touch it. Just did it the way I did my old Ivy Bridge OC, set the multiplier and offset vcore and go.

Edit: And I ended up with two errors after 30 minutes. Tomorrow I guess I'll just go to fixed vcore do some testing before messing with offsets. Somehow I will have a 24/7 stable 5ghz

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Llamadeus posted:

R aising LLC helps a lot for better stability in Prime95 specifically

It's currently at max. It's may be an AVX thing since I'm on the newest Prime95, I'm going to play with those offsets first

Edit: I think that was my issue. Bumped AVX offset to 2, ran the full Prime test for only an hour, went fine. Currently running a non AVX version at 5ghz 1.31v for the duration, hour in and so far so good. I'll test AVX tomorrow

Edit 2: Love this cooler, stability tests (not the Small FFT crazy temp test) are at like ~55C and I can barely hear it

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 24, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Well my 8086K did 24 hours of the full Prime95 test at 5ghz 1.31v no AVX, yay! Now to do an AVX version with the offset and declare stability

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

mewse posted:

That's pretty good, I was never able to get my 8700k to 5. I had it stable on 4.9 then a bios revision wiped out my settings and now I'm on 4.8

It's certainly a far cry from my old 3570K that could barely do 4.3 without cranking up the voltage. Really lost the silicon lottery there

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok I'm slightly scared about my PSU. My 8086K is at 5.0ghz 1.3v, and I noticed during Prime95 testing that it hit ~260W under an AVX load, and only like ~170W (I think) under non-AVX. That's kinda scary, since I chose a Seasonic Focus Plus 650W PSU. I know that PSU calculators say I should be fine since worst case heavy AVX I'd be at 440W for the CPU+GPU (260W+180W) and not much more for a total of 4 fans, 2 SSDs and a 5400RPM HDD. Did I make a bad choice? Should I exchange for a 750W?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll still set a power limit of like 250W in the bios too

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Lockback posted:

I think that's an abundance of caution but also probably won't hurt you. Unless you have a really odd-ball use case of professional video rendering you won't be continually running AVX instructions for a prolonged period of time like it does in the benchmark. Plus your PSU already passed the test, there's no guarantee even a 750 PSU would pass it.

Nope no rendering, it's purely a gaming PC. Do any modern games use AVX? I vaguely recall reading the PS3 emulator did

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

redeyes posted:

How are you cooling that? [edit] Oh Dark Rock Pro. Good temps for AVX load for sure.

I am extremely impressed by this cooler. I had the chip delidded by Silicon Lottery and during all of this stress testing temps never rose past 80C, even on the max heat Small FFT torture test... but the best part is the fact that I never heard the cooler unless I actively listened for it. I mean no its not like 0db or something stupid, just really smooth and quiet. Even with my case open and laying beside me (Weird circumstances caused this temporary setup) I had to put my hand behind the exhaust or the cooler itself to actually verify I was blowing hot air and not just on idle.

Edit: so people on Reddit are saying I lost the 8086K lottery. I thought 1.3v 5.0ghz was good for a 24/7 stable OC?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 29, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Lockback posted:

That seems pretty good to me, especially @ 1.3v. I suspect due to the nature of confirmation bias you get told it sucks if it's not top 10%. What are they saying the 8086k usually hits?

This is the quote I got:

"r/overclocking would like to see what your 8086K can do. 1.3v is on the high side for 5ghz, you can probably lose the avx offset too. Highest we've seen so far is 5.4ghz."

I immediately thought it was BS since I watched Gamers Nexus' livestream where he pushed it high and he started with a 5ghz 1.3 baseline, so I figured that was average (for an 8086K). I think you're right.

Also troubling was getting a Kernel Power Event 41 reboot while playing Wolfenstein 2. I increased voltage by 10mv and I didn't have any problems the rest of the night

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Hot take: AVX offset is silly, don't use it. You're giving yourself a lot of trouble testing two configurations just to get some slightly higher numbers to impress strangers on the internet with. With AVX becoming increasingly common in mundane workloads, the AVX frequency is the one you'll be interested in stability testing the most anyway.

For 5.0GHz with no AVX offset 1.3v is very good though, at least for a regular 8700K. Mine needs 1.34v or so for 4.9GHz with no AVX offset.

Also, overclocking forum numbers should be taken with huge amounts of salt. They're heavily biased towards good results and a lot of the time the stability is questionable.

I need the offset though, it was still unstable at 1.36v, whereas non-AVX was steady at 1.3v. Why would it be silly though? It was only one simple setting, and it's totally automatic. Only one additional test.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I remember seeing EVGA's tool being thrown around a lot too

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

So despite this being the OC thread, would someone be able to answer a question about undervolting a GPU? I have an EVGA 1080, and at stock it's running at 1900mhz and 1.05v. I read a post about using Afterburner to open the frequency graph and shift the max stock clocks back to, say, 0.95v and smooth the curve out. Is there a more correct way to do this?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

What is your goal there? People undervolt GPU when mining where the goal is to make the most imaginary coins per watt. In anything else you're better served to just overclock it as far UP as you can.

Roughly similar performance for slightly less power? Or just to play around with.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

eames posted:

The right way to do it is to simply drag every point right of the desired maximum voltage well below the target frequency. When you press apply it will straighten it out automatically. Not a very elegant solution but that’s how it works.

Points to the right? So it turns into like a bell curve?

VelociBacon posted:

Right but if you've paid the big money for the modern cards isn't it worth it to get all the FPS you can out of it considering the difference between doing so and not doing so is probably $5 a month in electricity?

Idk, I just think its neat I can get mostly stated performance with less power :shobon:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

eames posted:

No, all dots right of the target voltage should be dragged lower than the dot of your desired target voltage/frequency. It doesn’t matter how low, just lower. I can make a screenshot later if you want.

So like this:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

eames posted:

yes!

(1) you start with the default curve, (2) set an offset (optional, i chose +120), (3) then drag all points past the desired voltage/frequency to anywhere below and (4) press apply. when you start a 3D load you'll see a dotted horizontal line that shows you the current frequency, it won't move past your desired point.

that's how i do it anyway. note that afterburner seems a bit buggy and often messes with the tail end of the curves, but those are voltages that a default card will never reach anyway.

Interesting! I'll definitely have to play with that tomorrow, thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What's a good beginner's guide to overclocking/tuning ram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Hm ok, I might play around. It's a 3200 CL16 kit (I think)