Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm having some weird downclocking issues with my 1700. Once I hit it with a heavy load such as rendering in Davinci Resolve it holds its 3.8ghz steady until it hits 70C, upon which it throttles to 0.6ghz and promptly returns to 3.8 and it keeps repeating. What could be causing this behaviour? From what I've read the CPU shouldn't have any troble crossing the 70C threshold.

I'm using Ryzen Master to OC, 3.8ghz @ 1.275V cooled by a Gammaxx 400 on an Biostar x370gtn motherboard, 3 case fans (two front intakes, one back exaust).

BTW, I've seen people get 4.1ghz overclocks (under water ofc) on this board, so I don't think it's an issue given my conservative clocks and voltages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'll give an update tomorrow, right now I can't get it to go over 65C under AC but it certainly will in forecasted 36C ambient temps.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Update: Same behaviour on CPU-Z and AIDA64's stress tests.
e: I think Ryzen Master itself might be doing it, when I used HWinfo to monitor temps they kept rising past 70 normally. Weird.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 19, 2020

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know anything about ryzen but make sure you didn't set something in your BIOS to 'limit' temps or something. I know that ryzen chips seem to behave funny when monitored by certain programs but CPU-Z is on the safe list of monitoring software that doesn't itself cause weird CPU poo poo.

I though this was a Zen 2 only thing.
Anyway, knowing to keep RM closed I tried to OC more but it takes too much voltage to keep stable and at 1.375V it throttles. I guess I'll stick with the much cooler 3.8ghz.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm trying to undervolt a gainward Ghost 3060 Ti and failing miserably. The voltage curve refuses to flatten in MSI afterburner, so the undervolt doesn't actually do anything at all and the GPU still uses it's 200W of power in demanding tasks.

This is after I set the highlighted square and hit apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I used this on my first undervolt.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/tw8j6r/there_are_two_methods_people_follow_when/

It's still a bit confusing for a guide but I figured it out eventually.

Lowering the entire curve by using shift+dragging before setting the desired value is what I needed, thanks!