Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Not really a response to canyoneer, just a related field trip. I thought I'd enjoy this ASUS motherboard more. It's a Maximus V Gene I got at a slashed open-box price, thankfully with all the accessories still intact and in unopened baggies no less. I decided I'd throw down for it after reading one of the threads here suggesting it was one of those "i loving love computers" boards.

I threw my 3770K on it and despite all the ridiculous ways I found to screw it nine ways to Tartarus the setting I enjoyed the most with good stability was the :effort: EZ Mode performance setting. It's 4.6 at 1.33 Volts, which while it can spike to 78-80C during burn-in is handled quite promptly by the PWM kicking in on my H100 fans.

If I had known this was going to be so easy then I wouldn't have spent so much time and effort doing research and spent so much money trying out different configurations of other hardware. I guess it was the adventure that counts?

e: nine ways. Nine ways to the bottom.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Yudo posted:

Are they still easy to get cut on? I remember Zalman fins being like razor blades.

Back in the day I had such a hard time with getting one on my first build and ended up nicking both my finger and putting a scratch on my CPU's heat spreader.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Factory Factory posted:

I was looking at board shots of the P8Z77-I Deluxe (I have fever dreams of replacing the WiFi adapter with a short cable to connect my Xonar DG or a DGX), and I couldn't help but see this in the Google image search results:

http://i.imgur.com/3rFOnTj.jpg
(Cooler Master Hyper 612S)

I'm not surprised there were no pictures of the board mounted in a case. :v:

Is that larger than the Noctua D14? There are plenty of build log pictures of people stuffing Noctua D14s into Prodigys. Think I saw one with a standard two-fan Silver Arrow in it, too.

Now the next step is to just go further and try one of these babies in a small case like that:

http://www.techpowerup.com/185376/thermalright-hr-22-makes-public-appearance.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/160314/thermalright-coming-up-with-the-silver-arrow-sb-e-cpu-cooler.html
(or that one Zalman CNPS14X that's 7 inches long after three fans)

:unsmigghh:

Honestly though, the Bitfenix Prodigy is apparently big enough to accommodate Micro ATX boards and that's probably why we're seeing a refresh of that case soon with mATX mounts instead.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
By the reviews of Haswell motherboards we've so far, have additional power phases really made any sort of noticeable difference in average overclocks, or is everything still just gently caress-all random thanks to the stupid heat wall on those chips?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I see then--I was a bit surprised when ASRock put 12 phases on their top Micro ATX board this generation compared to the Maximus VI Gene/Z87 Gryphon's eight(+two), but I'm guessing if I were pumping enough amps for that to make a difference, I'd already be baking the Haswell inside its TIM and glue anyways.

Meanwhile MSI puts out three different ATX boards that require liquid nitrogen to make any real use out of their power configurations. :psyduck:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Factory Factory posted:

There's a limit to how useful increasing the power delivery over what's necessary can be, of course. With Haswell, it seems like 8 fairly standard phases really is where you stop seeing increases. No need to get something dumb like Gigabyte's Z77X-UP7, with 32x60A phases spec'd for up to 2000W.

I saw that board last year and my eyes turned into ferrite chokes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hopefully whatever Intel's trying to pull to stop this won't be forced down other boardmakers' throats so this trend can keep on going. When you can slap the letter Z on any board with 3 CPU phases and then say it's for overclocking, there's some serious voodoo being used. Weren't we promised strap clocking was going to be a feature for Haswell chips earlier this year?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Well, they're a business, preserving market segmentation is in their own interest.

We're just mad as nerds because enthusiast/gaming PCs aren't getting any cheaper.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The Leaning Tower of Heatsink Fins might have a niche in a mITX or mATX mini tower build if the offsetting of its height provides just enough space for a slim optical drive to squeeze in right in front of it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

horchata posted:

Just making sure I don't waste money. Do I put the heatsinks on the things marked in red, in blue, both, or something completely different?

The things marked in blue are your chokes. They're self-contained and won't be affected by stuff you stick on top of them. The things marked in red are MOSFETs. Those chips are the things that need good cooling to stay alive longer and be able to control your board's electricity well.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What's your motherboard model? The quality of your VRMs may have a part in this.

e: Yep that mobo's a keeper, just checking.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 10, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I have a Fractal Arc Mini.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but either a Corsair H100i or H110 would be easy to install and be a significant improvement in terms of effectiveness--your case can fit any kit with a 240mm-long radiator. If you manage to get your hands on a Switftech H220 I'm told those are even better.

Quietness is also a thing to invest in. Usually aftermarket fans by Noctua tend to do nicely--they're occasionally called "tan fans" for their color though, if you're trying to color-coordinate for :rice:. Should be the NF-F12 or -P12 model you're looking for for the correct size.

e: Idly, I'm imagining that a 280mm-long radiator would be comparatively quieter with larger fans on it. I wonder if I can make enough space for one myself if I remove my optical bay?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ignoarints posted:

I want to add that CPU requirements can go through the roof when you play some online games, which is almost never benchmarked. Depending on what you do or play will matter as far as overclocking goes. Whether or not that's worth the additional cost is up to the budget and if it affects the rest of the build. GPU is still king, so it's hard to recommend an overclocking setup if it means dropping a tier in GPU. But I think the value of overclocking for online games is often unsaid (especially in CPU comparisons and benchmarks).

This is the part where I whine about how Intel isn't making monumental-enough leaps in per-core ability and that new limited edition Pentium or Haswell-E had better OC to 6 or 7 GHz on air :colbert:

It's one of the things that prevents me from justifying a new monitor--can't use a better-than-60Hz experience when I can't even keep an even 60 in MMOs in the first place.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ignoarints posted:

Frankly, I'm seriously surprised the 4770k replacement has a factory boost of 4.4 ghz.

Yeah, to be less pessimistic about things, it was only a matter of time before someone took a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to how well the assumed promises hold up. Lurking the Intel CPU thread and this one come this summer should be enjoyable.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Apparently the all-around packaging of the chip is improved, though I'm not sure what "contact points designed for higher voltages" will mean, exactly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Do goons still prefer Intel LAN Controllers over others on boards? That's a non-overclocking quality I like to check, though I'm not sure it's a real thing to worry about.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Alereon posted:

If you're not buying a ROG board you're likely making a serious mistake. There's no point in spending $300+ on a crazy enthusiast board, but if you're going with something cheaper than an Asus ROG Maximus VII you need to strongly consider how it could be worth giving up those features for the limited money you're saving.

I think it doesn't help that the ROG line itself is also trying to reach down into more mainstream price points like with the Hero and the Ranger. That, and how MSI and Gigabyte are trying to edge in on that marketing segment with GAMING GAMING GAMING GAMING LOOK IT'S A GAMING motherboards.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I do want to mention that to be fair, there really is a huge gap in price nowadays between a lot of the ROG line now and its competitors. To take an example, in my goofy old Micro ATX segment the Maximus VII Gene is $220. Gigabyte's highest "Gaming" mATX board on Newegg is $135. Eighty-five dollars is not a small amount of money for quite a few posters, I'm sure.

There is something to say for nipping and tucking on deals here and there looking for a happy medium in features for the price; when put together, you might find that a $700 system can do everything that you care for instead of a $1200 one on the same platform.

And I just finished typing that without remembering that this is the Overclocking Megathread.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d43r6iVgsc

Alereon posted:

But yeah, at the end of the day, if you're posting in this thread I think you're the kind of person who'd probably appreciate the features and quality a ROG board offers. It's not just color and marketing, you are paying for real things that cost money and are totally worth it imho.

Can you comment on the TUF series and how it's evolved over Z87/97 so far? I'm eyeing the Gryphon and it's kind of at an interesting place lodged between the ROG board and entry-level-quality boards, with a price point that matches MSI's strongest offering in that size, for what it's worth (not much).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm sure those who care about this thread have seen the 5.5 GHz tweet already, and I'm getting terrible nasty thoughts about my own (stellar in its own right) 3770k in the back of my head, ew.

Given decisions between motherboards on par with ROG fanciness, do the VRM configurations available on ATX size boards still make a max clock difference compared to smaller form factors?

Or is the only difference nowadays between ATX and stuff like Mini ITX just case airflow? I ask because I was dumb enough to buy an mATX case for my mATX system.

in other words do I want 12 or 16 or 20 phases for that leet stylin 6 ghz to satisfy my manchild

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 4, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
i remember once as a kid i didn't understand how evenly thermal compound could spread, so I treated the heat spreader on my athlon like it was an acrylic painting

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

1gnoirents posted:

Wow, CoreTemp started loving with me in the last few weeks.

Just this past week I had the same exact issue. It's probably a Windows update or coretemp update issue, but instead of trying to look for a solution I just switched to HWMonitor. :effort:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Alereon posted:

So it turns out my local shop has a single 4790K, and its an L4 batch that seems to be a great overclocker, with several people reporting 5Ghz on air. The available evidence seems to indicate that the brand new NZXT Kraken X61 AIO watercooler is now the best low noise cooler by a measurable margin, with both the pump and fans improving performance at lower noise levels. I was thinking of waiting for either news on a possible Samsung 850 Evo or another round of discounts on the 840 Evo, but I'm sorely tempted to just pull the trigger now.

I was trying to avoid a gigantic case but it seems if I want good cooling and low noise the NZXT H630 case is where it's at right now.

Just as an FYI, Swiftech's redesigned H220X is supposed to be available for order from their own website next week.

http://forums.swiftech.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2494&sid=10cf6795ffe3c21686608d154038e677&start=125

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Don Lapre posted:

The cooler master 240l is the redesigned swiftech

No, not the Glacer. This is an entirely new thing.

http://youtu.be/ls51dMQMwgo

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sh4 posted:

That would be a hell of a downgrade

You underestimate just how far AMD has fallen behind in their flagship product line.

ninja edit: I should back that up with a chart, hang on

E: here, the whole thing http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor/3

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 2, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

horchata posted:

What is your definition of value? Cheap or great price:performance? You can't really go wrong with a 212 evo but it'll only net you a small overclock. I recently bought a Swiftech h220x and you get top of the line water cooling parts packaged in a expandable AIO solution.

Impressions/results on the H220X? It seemed like the best choice to replace a noisy H100, but then I found out Swiftech had an even better pump in the works. It's not dying anytime soon and I'm holding out for what their plans are with the thing after they've tested the market's waters (:haw:) with it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

:science:

:f5::redhammer:

:toot:

:stare:

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :shepicide:

Why not? posted:

:shrek:
:shrug:

:f5:

:downs:

:f5:

:hawaaaafap:

Idle temps. The lesson to take away here is, clamp the heat spreader by the square, not by the flanges on the side. Overclocking results for this poor mangled thing coming soon, if it survives.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 27, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Factory Factory posted:

Oh dear God. Well, because it works, that was definitely a filtering cap. If your PSU and motherboard have great ripple control, the CPU will be fine. But ripple increases wear and tear, and your CPU now has less protection against it.

How do you feel about getting a replacement cap and an SMD soldering iron? :buddy:
Seasonic SS-660XP2 feeding a Maximus V Gene are holding the supply end down for now, yeah.

The difficult part about putting a new cap back on is that even if I bit the bullet to attempt it, I wouldn't be confident enough to know if I did a good enough job for the new cap to actually be working. I certainly can't tell exactly how well the CPU is taking ripple right now, much less how it would after such an operation.

1gnoirents posted:

:(

1.52v suicide run for a month or two? :v:
While this chip may have caught electricity cancer, suicide is still not the moral thing to do. :unsmith:

I still haven't touched the multiplier or anything else yet, but I do look forward to getting more adventurous for the remainder of this life!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So far so good with my old overclock at 4.4 GHz and 1.25 V at load. Before the delid, this was stepped down from 4.7 at a substantially higher voltage due to temperature and resulting case noise preferences. I maxed out temperature at 63° C this time around, so there's room to come back.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It looks like my 3770K still hits a hard wall after 4.6 GHz after all. Running 1.35 V at that clock, highly appreciating the 15 degree Celsius temperature difference now until whenever the ripple kills Project Broken Tooth.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, that original razor blade no-vice method sounded spooky as heck. I only recently obtained the vice last fall to help out with a sibling's metalworking project, and it's also been a useful fixture for the folks' business, so I had it handy anyways. I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight Tools store near you, but all the smaller vises are quite inexpensive, and any of them, even the $17 ones they just want to empty their stock of should fit the bill.

Be mindful of how they fasten to your table of choice however, as many need holes to put bolts through, so get one that clamps to your table if you don't want that. Or find a way to keep a non table-fixture vise from moving around when you're putting the wood block to it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good, it is, and better than your monster. What's your heat sink situation look like, i.e. does it have a mounting bracket for Socket LGA 2011?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Definitely get the 212 and shoot for 4.4 GHz. In my experience Ivy Bridge gets more voltage-needy and hot and expensive to cool after that. What z77 motherboard did you order?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shaocaholica posted:

What stronger solvent should I use on stubborn thermal compound? Not talking about enthusiast stuff but 10 year old Dell weird stuff in a laptop. Mineral spirits? Acetone?

Tried a thin piece of plastic like a credit card (if it's hard), or 99%-100% isopropyl alcohol?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah the alcohol isn't working well. It works well on the die but not on the heatsink side.

Yeuch, that must be an additional layer of something caked on then. Whatever you do, don't use acetone. Acetone can damage a lot more than you ask for.

EDIT: Looking around, I'm seeing some benzene derivatives like Goof-Off? Supposed to make sure to use that stuff outside.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 4, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I was fearful for any additional plastic or PCB pieces the sink would have been attached to but I guess it shows how much I know about laptop heat sinks :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Asus uefi havers trying to adjust adaptive voltage please go into digi power control settings and raise/lower CPU Load Line Calibration.

You'll have to redo your desired voltage again but this way you can curb your Vdroop/Vbump on load

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 9, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I remember one time for a new build, I couldn't finish a POST due to a CPU temperature warning. Checking my cooler, I discovered that I had forgotten to remove the very thin clear plastic packaging sheet off of the business end of the waterblock. :downs:

Just throwing that out there if you didn't check.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh boy I can't wait to tune the stuffing out of those DOHC two-bangers, esp. if the 4MB cache versions come out before Intel inevitably tries to swat this down in a blue rage of market segmentation

E: oh they're already released, thanks wikipedia
E2: wow those are expensive compared to the 6100, nevermind

I wonder how that BIOS handles BCLK OCs with Intel Turbo Boost on the i5 and i7? Might be disabled with how TechSpot's just not counting it in on the last page of the article.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Processors have various features aside from adaptive voltage that let them clock down at idle and deeper. C3 and Intel's EIST drop voltage and frequency respectively at idle, in addition to the various things that Intel Turbo boost does. I'm not familiar with which features override what, however. (my previous rig ran most of its life on Adaptive, but this time I'm just so :effort: that I'm just going to rely on these features, hope that's ok)

As for Boris Galerkin, LLC/Ring and System Agent/FCLK voltages have been a crapshoot for me, too.

I think only Skylake has allowed end-users to change the FCLK on their processors, so that voltage is definitely not useful. From what I've read, LLC/Ring voltage should only be messed around with when pushing up your VIN/VRIN/whatever your motherboard calls your CPU INPUT voltage is no longer an option.

Anyways, I have stuff to post too! It's about a month late and half a year behind the curve but

Broadwell trip report, day 1: Intel Gave Their Special Butterfly An Artificial TDP Wall
I was pretty proud of myself, having put together my new rig with few to no issues. Enjoyed myself doing exciting stuff like

but then I realized that my frequency was throttling really hard (down to 2.1GHz in some cases) on various different stress tests, even though THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY MILLIMETERS OF SLOVENIAN STEEL--i mean copper rads easily kept temperatures below 65 Celsius. I took forever trying to enable/disable a bunch of relevant motherboard settings, to no avail. All I had to do was look one entry above Clocks in HWMonitor to realize that my fun was being killed by 65.00W 64.99W 65W 64.90W 65W 65W 65W etc. This power envelope significantly slowed down my sustained processing speeds (worse than stock!) at full load from 1.225V and onwards. thanks intel

Raising my Intel Turbo power draw limits in BIOS didn't work, so I had to dig around on various forums for the answer to this roadblock. Strangely, Intel lets you past their own limitation.

This is Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, and these sliders are available on Broadwell but not on Haswell, at least from what I've read. Will play with them tomorrow and try not to Chernobyl my 5775C.