Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I have a Dell Optiplex 790 and my bios doesn't have the overclocking ability. I've used just about every overclocking app i could find and none work on here. Is there a modded bios you could recommend for this system? My processor is a sandy bridge intel 2400. My motherboard is a generic stock from dell (0D28YY). Or should I not even not attempt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

What cooling solution do you have? Stuff like one off Dell 'solutions' are built to purpose and are designed to minimize cost of manufacture, I would expect not to naturally have the cooling headroom for any additional overclocks, and likely has a lovely power supply and weird non-standard connections or fittings that make it even more of a headache trying to get another cooler on there or to have stable power delivery.

I have a stock fan. The power supply looks weird. Anyway I just want to overclock it to maybe 3.4/3.5. I have been overclocking my GPU and the temperature(s) looks fine.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

mewse posted:

Trying to overclock with a non-K cpu and a OEM motherboard like that is a total crapshoot but you might be able to pull something off

From here:

So you might be able to bump up turbo multipliers using intel extreme tuning utility to get some extra MHz. I severely doubt it's configurable in the Dell BIOS.

I've used that program, it doesn't work on here. I've tried to download older versions, but they always update to the latest version.

I must have a locked chip. I give up. God I suck. I could have bought a Intel 3rd or even 4th generation chip/computer for the same price I spent on this Dell box. I just didn't know anything about Intel chips. What a tragedy.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 24, 2021