Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I had my overclocked 8700K professionally delidded about two years ago and, following a recent case swap, the temperatures of a single core are averaging about 10c above the other cores under normal loads but still staying below 70c. If I run the Prime95 stress test, with or without AVX enabled, the second test in the sequence will cause that core's temperature to soar to 95-100c and all fans go to full speed. The other cores stay at about 75-80c.

I've cleaned/remounted the NH-D15, which I left in place during the case swap, and am still seeing the same results. Am I right in thinking that the thermal material between the cores and heat spreader is probably buggered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

ufarn posted:

Maybe the case move separated the thermal interface between CPU and heatsink, which is why it can't cool it more?
I had to flex the motherboard a bit to get it out of the case so maybe the heat spreader shifted slightly with the cooler. (The delidder used liquid metal and reattached the heat spreader with a material that he described as elastic.) It's actually a bit of a nuisance that this is only affecting a single core and the cooling is still mainly effective as it means that sorting this out isn't worth the risk of bricking the CPU.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

mewse posted:

There's a good chance the heat spreader is ludicrously easy to remove now. Most people just use RTV silicone after delidding which is way, way less adhesive than whatever the stock goop is.

If you get some fresh liquid metal and re-do the application, chances of bricking the cpu are pretty low because the mechanically stressful part (delidding) is done already.
The delidder has suggested that the heat spreader can be removed with a playing card, so I've ordered some Conductonaut and will give it a go. RIP in advance to my processor.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Trip report: the heat spreader is still firmly attached by a glue/whatever on all sides so I decided against trying anything stupid to get it off. The idle temps for all cores are around 25-30c and the normal load temps are 50-60c. Not ideal that small FFT testing with AVX is raising 1 core to about 95c (20c above the lowest core temperature) but I haven't seen any dramatic temperatures in regular usage. Still, I'll use this to help justify what will most likely be a sidegrade to an 11700K and have it professionally delidded again before selling it on.

SuperTeeJay fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 4, 2021