Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Coppermine-T's won't work in 440bx boards without one of those old Powerleap adaptors- they run on lower voltages, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

SRQ posted:

So, got a question about going the other way- i.e downclocking.
I'm using some spare parts to make a cheapo spare TV, and want the computer driving the TV tuner to be as quiet as possible. I've put together some spare parts using a P4 3.2 HT. What I'm wondering is two things:
Does HT increase power usage in any measurable way?
How far can I downclock/undervolt this untill it becomes stupid (I.E the amount needed to undervolt more overweighs the amount of power usage, and thus heat, less.)?

Don't do this. I did the exact_same_thing and you'll end up with a dog-slow noisy oven of an HTPC that just pisses you off.

I ended up scrounging an old C2D/mobo off of SA-mart for $30 and it's twice as fast, almost silent, and puts out about 1/3 of the heat.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I have an Asus P67LE as well, and I set an offset voltage from stock to limit voltage - seemed to work pretty well both with my old 2500K and my current 3770K.

I got 4.3ghz on each proc using a Hyper212 Evo at ~1.28v. Didn't try for more - temps are/were good and I'm looking for reliability.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Got interested in this thread since I have an old i5 2500k and wanted to see what was possible. I have stock cooling so I just ran the stress test (before trying to OC) using prime95 and it already was getting to 80 degrees and above and my mobo made beep boop sounds. :( Guess I need more fans and a heat sink if I want to try this for real. :effort:

Yeah, the stock cooler is pretty wimpy - throw a $29 Hyper212 Evo on it and start cranking up the clocks. 4.2-4.3 is easy as pie with only a small bump in voltage, and temps will be lower than stock due to the better cooler.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

AtillatheBum posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on if it would be viable/a good idea to try to overclock my system as it is? I'm the kinda guy who likes to get in the graphics settings of a game and turn everything to max/ultra and (ideally) forget about it. A friend of mine picked out and built most of my system for me a while back, and these days I think I'm hitting the cusp where my current system can no longer do that with every new game so I was curious to know if maybe I can eek out a little more time with my current system.

Specs are:
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU - Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 760
PSU - Corsair TX 850W ATX12v
RAM - 16GB

Not sure if these matter as much
Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540
Drive - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

I have one extra fan (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) that's installed over the CPU.
If there's something else important I should list just let me know.

I don't know much about overclocking or pc hardware type stuff but I'd be willing to figure some stuff out if I can just get a general idea on what my system can do.

Unfortunately, unless your cpu has a "K" suffix on the model number, it's not really overclockable.

If you're serious about overclocking, now would be a good time to buy a 4690K, since retailers are getting rid of them as Intel moves to a new architecture. I saw Fry's advertising them for 169$ yesterday, and you could probably get at least $100-$120 for your current processor.

I'm getting a stable 4.4ghz on mine with a 212Evo cooler, so there's performance to be had.

Or go with a 4790K, they Turbo up to 4.4 stock, so all you have to do is check "max turbo on all cores" and you're running 4.4 without dicking with clocks and voltages. Considerably more $$$, though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I had the same issue the other day - installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 from MS's website did the trick.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Every multi-core processor I've ever had would vary a bit from core to core even on a full-bore 100%-on-all-cores load. Five degrees seems to be well within normal range.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

That's a shitload of voltage for a 6700K - I wouldn't do it. 14nm lithography is not as forgiving as the 32nm used on the old 2500K.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I assume you need to increase the voltage in some instances but you mean that it's probably increasing the voltage without actually needing to?

Exactly. For example, my 2500K would do 4.2 without any increase in voltage, and only needed .08v added to stock voltage to do 4.5, on which it's been humming along happy for over 5 years. But using ASUS's overclocking tool, the voltage was increased .16 - double what it needed to be.

Of course, that's still within the generally accepted 'safe zone', but why increase temps and possibly shorten the life of the chip if you don't have to?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I've never found bclock to be stable at anything over 103, regardless of chip generation.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I've had to actually take the CMOS battery out, unplug the power cord and turn the PC on, then wait 10 minutes before the drat cmos would actually clear.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

It's pretty golden, I was only able to get 4.7 on a 2700K at 1.32v, which was about par for the course at the time.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I have a 3570K and a 3770K and they both did 4.4 without a huge amount of hassle, but 4.5 never worked right without huge voltage increases and it wasn’t worth it. They’re both still kicking at 4.4, after all these years.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I bought a nice aluminum delidder on fleabay for $25 to do my 4790K, supposed to work on all Intel Core non-HEDT processors. Figured I could sell it for $20 when I was done with it, but I think I’m going to keep it since even Coffee Lake still has big gaps filled with TIM rather than solder.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Eletriarnation posted:

If anyone has an X58 system still lying around functional and hasn't tried a Westmere-EP Xeon yet to see if it will work, I would highly recommend it as a fun little project now that LGA1366 processors of all varieties are so cheap.

I have a Gigabyte EX58-DS4 that I originally got back in November 2008 with an i7-920 and while I was able to get it to up around 3.8GHz with no trouble originally, 4.0 was tricky to get stable and beyond didn't seem feasible. After I built another system around a 2500K which could hit 4.4 nearly without trying, overclocking on the i7-920 seemed like more of a curiosity than a useful enterprise so I mostly forgot about it for a while.

Recently after tinkering with underclocking a the Nehalem-EP L5520 to use as a home server, I got curious about my options for upgrading to a hexcore. According to Gigabyte's website, the board only supports Gulftown hexcores and they're still relatively expensive but there are some Westmere-EP quads that work like the E5603. Since the board supports 130W models of Nehalem I knew power delivery should be adequate and it really didn't make much sense that microcode would be present for only some of the Westmere-EP generation, so I decided to buy the cheapest model of hexcore I could just to see and got an L5640. Surprisingly it worked without a hitch and like the L5520, responds very well to undervolting - you can run all day long at 2GHz under 30W.

Unfortunately without an unlocked multiplier, I could only take a low-ratio chip like the L5640 so high before hitting a wall. With the knowledge that it worked though, I went back to eBay and got an X5660. The X5660 is going much, much farther than I ever expected to be able to take it:

Considering that the top-model X5690 hits 3.73 under max turbo and I'm only using a Hyper 212 to keep this cool right now (which is why HT is disabled, it's still pushing 175W and close to 90C), I'm wondering if I somehow got a golden chip or if Westmere is the golden generation that never was because they all got released as clock-locked Xeons. I don't think I've had an overclock this good since 12 years ago when I took a Pentium M 1.6 to 2.56 and that at least made a bit more sense being a mobile chip running with desktop cooling.

You done good. I have an EX58-DS3 with an X5670 in it & Hyper 212, and I can only get an all-core 3.8ghz out of it if I want 100% stability. I think I only have $200 into it(I already had the memory) and it makes a helluva Hackintosh.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Palladium posted:

Ugh I was so happy when a stranger sponsored me a Athlon XP 1800+ and a Socket A cooler, that I totally forgot about the dreaded bad caps fiasco of the Athlon XP / P4 era. The Nichicon caps on my MSI nForce2 board exploded immediately after power on while the A7N8X was fine for 30 mins until I saw one cap bulging before I cut off the power.

Now I'm unsure whether the S939 K8 boards are safe or not.

Some are, I still have an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe that works fine and has never been recapped, it was the first ‘good’ motherboard I ever bought after years of cheap ones.

I recapped a shitload of mobos back in the day; replacement caps weren’t that expensive.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I have the same mobo as you do, and threw an x5670 in it a couple years ago. I didn’t get the fantastic overclocks that everybody else talks about either, but I can get about 3.5ghz all-core out of it by upping the voltage about .18 volts. Any more voltage just makes the temps go up drastically without helping the frequency limit much.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

forkbucket posted:

Eh, I'm just trying to figure out what I can squeeze out of the system to be honest. I got the 4790K when I built the computer but at that point I didn't really know much about what the difference was between processros, I just went with some recommendations. Figured since I have an overclockable chip I may as well :shrug: I'll probably leave it at 4.4 and call it a day, tweak more if the need arises!

I went through a ton of crap trying to overclock my 4790K, and after everything, I either add just a bit of voltage and run 4.4 all-core, or 1.38v gets me 4.6. Not a very good showing for a water cooled custom loop setup, but at least temps are good since I delidded.

Eh, you win some, you lose some.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I just ran it at that while benchmarking and dicking around, it’s been at 4.4 forever with an offset of .05v.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Can anyone else with an AIO or custom loop liquid CPU cooler please let me know how the CPU temps behave relative to the liquid temps? The H115i Pro I put on my CPU, the liquid temps never get above 35C (280mm rad), the CPU temps under load will go immediately up to around 67C and stay there, dropping very quickly once load is removed. With a hyper 212EVO I was getting CPU temps around 77C so I've only dropped about 10C by switching to the AIO. I have an AIO on my GPU and the temps rise very slowly and don't spike so I was kinda hoping it would behave like that.

I'm not sure if the actual GPU temp is doing this immediate jump as well and only reporting the liquid temperature from the card as the actual GPU temp? I wonder if I need to reapply CPU paste because I just left the corsair stuff that came with it on there.

i7 4790k, room temp is around 22C. Thanks.

I have a custom loop on a 4790K and before I delidded I had temps similar to yours - even worse on the CPU because I was overvolting it. After delidding, I’m down to about 60 degrees on the CPU with the water running about 39 degrees at +.05 voltage offset.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I lost the silicon lottery with this crappy chip; it won’t run @4.6 all-core without a shitload of extra voltage, so I just leave it at 4.4 all-core.

I’m very much ready to replace the CPU/mobo/memory, but the siren song of 8 cores on a ringbus has me waiting for the new Intel non-HEDT chips.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Have you played around at all with LLC? You might just need a little bump there for stability.

Yeah, I played with the settings(including LLC) for a month, tried a couple of different guides for this mobo (Asus z97-a 3.1) and it needed almost 1.4v to be half-assed stable@4.6 no matter what I did. I even chucked the chip in a different mobo that I was building for a friend with almost exactly the same results, so I threw in the towel.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I can’t imagine dicking around with LGA1366 and not using a Westmere 6-core Xeon; they’re only like $45 for an X5680(3.3ghz) and overclock pretty well. If you’re not going six-core, use Sandy or Ivy, they’re getting cheap now and overclock even better/easier than Nehalem.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'd get a Westmere 6-core Xeon except this poo poo ECS X58 motherboard apparently only supports the i7 920 and the i7 930 and that's it. And if I want to buy a GOOD x58 motherboard I'm looking at ~$150

Are you positive that Xeons don’t work, or are they just not on the supported list? The compatibility list on my GA-UD3R-X58 doesn’t mention Xeons, but they work just peachy. Then again, this is ECS, so you’re probably right, Westmere is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

It’s very possible you just crapped out at the silicon lottery. My Xeon 5670 wont go over 3.5ghz without a ridiculous amount of voltage even though a ‘lot of people’ get 4.0-ish.

I’ve always believed that people who get a good chip never STFU about it, while people with crappy overclocks shuffle their feet and state at the floor, so reading forums and overclock guides tend to give you a skewed sense of what’s ‘normal’.